PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Automatic trans help.....

Mista Bone
08-17-2009, 10:42 PM
here is the issue

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 360

Transmission:

4speed 46RE automatic, A518 to be exact. 99,010 miles.

Here is the issue I'm having. Turn the engine over, truck starts fine, put the gear shifter on the column to "Drive" and pull away. Not even 50 feet, the transmission itself pops out of gear and you can give the engine gas but no movement. You can either put the column shifter to "Neutral" or down to "2" or "1" and wait for the transmission to cycle back into gear and drive off again only to have it "slip" out of gear again in another 50 feet.

I don't know if slip is the right way to go or not but that is what I feel like it's doing. I've been told that these transmissions are designed to slip for certain reasons but not like this.

Thanks for any ideas you can help with.

loyd
08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Does it shift at all? You say it pops out of gear, or just neutrals out? Have you checked fluid? 4x4 or 2wd? I use to be a Dodge mechanic and rebuilt transmissions ALL the time.
let me know if I can help.

loyd360@cinci.rr.com

Dirtyd0g
08-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately that sounds like an issue you're going to have to take the trans apart to figure out.
Alan

craigels
08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Unfortunately that sounds like an issue you're going to have to take the trans apart to figure out.
Alan

Time to get out the Port A Power!

Ranger50
08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
First thing I would do is scan the TCM for DTC's. I would suspect that you may have a P1789 or P1796, both should be codes for govenor pressure codes. I had one like that before. Fluid was OK, but no go. Scanned the TCM and found those codes. Replaced the gov press sol and transducer and shipped it.

But if there aren't any codes, I would suspect a possible piston seal or maybe bellville washer problem in the input drum.

Just my plugged nickels worth of info.

Brian

Dirtyd0g
08-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Governor pressure switch is the first thing I think when there is an issue with that transmission, however I have never seen one cause no movement, just no shift or erratic shift.
Alan