PDA

View Full Version : Software to manage your hard drives?

Rick93coupe
08-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I've got an external drive that acts funny from time to time with the software that it came with. You guys use anything I could get from Download.com to manage files and do backups?
Mine is Storage Sync. :bangwall:

TZ250
08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
A computer pro that I know likes this software. I now use it.

http://www.acronis.com/

Amazon.com has a cheaper price.

Waffles
08-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I use off-site storage services. The hell with backing up to another local drive is that it's still local. If you're stuff gets stolen, chances are your backup drive will too. If your house burns down, chances are your backup drive will be in it. An external drive is also more likely to experience physical failure because it's mobile and more prone to things like being dropped.

I've had people claim it's too slow, but I have 2 server class windows server 2003 boxes and a SUSE 11 box in my house that each back up nightly over the internet. Even my commercial clients get the same setup if they can't afford a co-location within their own infastructure.

TZ250
08-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Hardcore, who do you used for offsite storage. I've recently looked into www.carbonite.com . It seems reasonably priced. I agree about the backup hard drive being broken/stolen/burnt.

Waffles
08-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I like I-Drive pretty well. You'd be surprised how many companies do things like DVD backups, and think they're safe. However, without companies like that I wouldn't be able to make a living.

Dirtyd0g
08-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I run Raid, 4 hard drives functioning as one...
I used to clone my hard drive as a backup. Backing up to DVD helps for one program (quickbooks,peachtree,etc...) As far as backing everything up to dvd....blah.
Alan