PDA

View Full Version : Dealer car auction facts?

RIXXX93GT
08-21-2009, 08:23 AM
I have been looking for a good deal on a specific car for some time now (Chrysler 300 SRT8) problem is everyone I have seen at a car lot was just purchased from an auction and they marked it up 5-8k. Whats the scoop on getting a liscence to attend and bid at these auctions and also what is the process for going about buying one of the cars at auction. Do these dealers all walk around with a couple hundred grand in their pockets or have soem sort of credit line setup?

thecollector
08-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Try Adesa. Here's the info from their website. Manheims is pretty much the same rules. OKI on reading is a local one as well. The 50.00 registration fee backs you for a whole year but is non refundable. You don't get it back wether you buy or not.

How does a public sale work?

A public sale is like any other auction. Bidders register before the sale starts (please see our rules of public sale). You must pay a $50.00 annual registration fee and a $400.00 purchase deposit. Bidders are given a bid badge with a number on it. You must have a valid bid badge to purchase a vehicle. You must have a different bid badge for each vehicle you purchase. The doors open at 8:00 AM. You may pick up a list of the vehicles available for sale at the front counter, or see our sale lineup. The vehicles are available for inspection until the sale starts at 9:00 AM. You will not be allowed to test drive any vehicles. If your bid is the high bid, the vehicle may still be sold on an "if" basis. This means we must call the lending institution to see if they will accept your bid. You will be notified within an two (2) hours after the sale closes for the day.

If your bid is accepted, you will have until 5:00 on the day following the sale to complete the purchase. If you do not complete the purchase FOR ANY REASON, your deposit will be forfeited.

It may be difficult to find the vehicle your looking for. Dealers get first grabs at the cars before the public can. Those cars are easy sells so the odds of finding it at a public repo auction and not having already been picked up by a dealer are slim. You will need patience and a broad search area. Good luck. If you have never been to an auto auction before I recommend attending a few prior to finding the vehicle you plan to purchase. They are very fast paced and you have to stay attentive or you can very easily buy the wrong car in the line (my friend bought an explorer instead of a caravan...:) )

Pitbull1052
08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Beef has an SRT8 Charger that's pretty sweet..... silver car I think

RIXXX93GT
08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Ooooh thats my favorite color one...bright silver. Went to drive one last night but as I pulled in some people were putting their tags on it....DAMNIT. They wanted too much anyways. There seem to be an abundance of them in Texas for some reason. So if I had a friend who has a dealer liscence, how woudl that work if I told him exactly what I wanted and how much I would pay? When do they pay for the cars at the dealer auctions?

Pitbull1052
08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Seriously get with Beef he'll make you a heck of a Bangerz deal.... I pass the car twice a day everyday and it appears to be a pretty stand up car

Pitbull1052
08-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I want and SRT8 Cherokee....

cstreu1026
08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
The Grand Cherokee is awsome. I got to beat on one a couple of years ago at an event Chrysler put on and it was an absolute blast to drive. We almost bought one for my wife to drive everyday but then the reality of owning one set in, particularly the 10-12 mpg they get in the real world.

Pitbull1052
08-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh for sure I got to do the same I use to work for Northgate Chrysler Dodge Jeep I thought about taking a regular Cherokee and making it look like one but it's just not the same....... all show and no go wonder what it would like with a huffer on it.......

RIXXX93GT
08-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Focus guys....Chrysler 300C SRT8, the best of both worlds luxury and performance....well for under 35000 anyways.

Pitbull1052
08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
I know I know lol I like the 300 a little better than the Charger just because of the luxury part but it's a performace sedan.... I bet Beef would make you a heck of a deal on that one he's got.......... Right Beef?

cstreu1026
08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Rick you could probably get a brand spanking new G8 GT for the price of a used 300c SRT8

NUTTSGT
08-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I know some of the small used car dealers, will purchase a car for you for an agreed set mark up like $500 bucks. That way it's a guaranteed sale for them.

bangingears
08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
wrecked one

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/1327230448.html

RIXXX93GT
08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
been talking with that guy for awhile, its hurt pretty bad and he wants too much for a salvage car in my opinion. he ended up buying another one so something tells me its even worse than he says.

GREAZY
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Car dealers have what they call a floor plan, it is a line a credit and the bank pays the auction for the car and they pay a fee for the money for the first 60 days and then they have to start paying back for the car. Some may be different but that is how the car lot I worked for had it. Usually you cant buy cars at the auction with enough room to put 5-8k mark up in it unless you just get lucky. This is due to the fact that most sellers are other car lots that wont take that big of a hit on a car. As stated above if you can find a smaller lot that will buy one for you $500 plus fees seems to be about the norm for them to buy a car for you.

k062693w
08-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Never mind !!! LOL

beefcake
08-24-2009, 10:23 AM
the charger we have is very nice. it's like the 300 i had but newer with a few more goodies. there really isn't any more luxury in the 300 than the charger

they are really identical in the srt8s'.

this one had an msrp of over 45k.

it's an 08 with 16k miles on it.

nav, dvd, bluetooth, satellite radio, satellite tv, yeah, satellite tv, roof, everything

used retail is $33,600, i have it online at $29995 and can do a few hundred more at $29,576.

as far as auction heres some data on this car
average black book - $28,000, clean black $29,900

average manheim auction $28,100, clean manheim, $30,100

it's a good deal on the car,

it was a trade in, if it was an auction car i would not be able to do it for that $$, by the time you pay auction fees, dealer fees, post inspection etc...

let me know
beef
513-478-1965

for the record, ken did a tune and cai on mine and it made 385/384 :)

these are sweet, nicest not sports car i ever owned

RIXXX93GT
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Any bad points to the 300 srt8's, engine issues or driveline problems to be aware of?

beefcake
08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
the srt8's seem to do very well and have a big following

i think ken has done some tremendous stuff with them

i think a tune and cai can get you into the 12's