PDA

View Full Version : welding gas bottles

tcorns
08-27-2009, 09:37 PM
i want to condense some of welding stuff together in my table and was thinking of putting my TIG bottle on its side. the regulator will be protected and i will secure the bottle. i am just curious if i am going to have any problems with it on its side?

trev

djom1cincy
08-27-2009, 10:49 PM
It won't hurt the gas if its the brown bottle. Its a gas to begin with. I am sure its against osha regulations tho. Must be stored in a up right position.

Rick93coupe
08-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't try welding the gas bottles.. lol =)

thecollector
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
It won't hurt the gas if its the brown bottle. Its a gas to begin with. I am sure its against osha regulations tho. Must be stored in a up right position.

It is a gas, however many industrial gases (propane, Co2, oxygen) when compressed become a liquid. If the tank was turned side ways you could theoretically draw liquid and that's not something you want:(. The chemical engineer here at my company recommended it not be done, so its probably a bad idea.

My chart does not list Phase behavior so Im not sure at what pressure-if ever- argon will turn to liquid.

djom1cincy
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
The small bottles are not liquid. You can order liquid bottles of argon. I've used them on there side with no problems. I've been a welder for 14 years. I know what I'm talking about.