PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailer pulling

bobtsgt
09-01-2009, 07:04 AM
So what do you guys use for pulling your enclosed car trailers? Just curious.

PonymanfiveO
09-01-2009, 07:08 AM
a truck.

rush88GT
09-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Just get a F250 diesel!!!!

ponymom05
09-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Just get a F250 diesel!!!!

Excellent choice! Mine does just fine pulling the enclosed trailers. Went all the way to Kansas & back with the Pinks car w/o a problem.

Carl
09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
+2. Get a diesel and be done with it, plus it gives you something else to race if the car is broke!

RIXXX93GT
09-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Listen to everyone, if your going to be hauling a trailer for any length of time a diesal is the only way to go. A diesal powered moterhome for camping purposes is the best of both worlds.

pegasus
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM
dually!!!

Rustanggt98
09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
1995 F-350 dually w/ a 7.3L TD. I love it, and got a pretty good deal on it too when diesel was $4.19 a gallon lol.:bigthumb

NXcoupe
09-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree. A diesel truck is the only way to tow. F250 at a minimum with the 350 being even more stable. I have a 95 F250 and it pulls like a champ. Gets decent milage too.

mustangboy
09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
No matter what kind of truck you get a weight distribution hitch will definately help. However I do agree with all these guys on the diesel, definately the way to go.

89notch
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
No matter what kind of truck you get a weight distribution hitch will definately help. However I do agree with all these guys on the diesel, definately the way to go.

I have one of those on my camper and have no idea how to hook it up :lol:

mustangboy
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey Kelly I'm not sure how big your camper is but if it makes the back of your truck sag at all it will raise it back up and help take the weight off the back of your truck. Those things really do work.:bigthumb

bobtsgt
09-01-2009, 09:31 PM
looks like we will be shopping for a diesel crew cab in the near future then. thanks everyone.

Black Horse
09-01-2009, 10:19 PM
looks like we will be shopping for a diesel crew cab in the near future then. thanks everyone.

I would wait for the new Super Duties if you are buying new.........all I can say is wow!

7721Cobra
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Going aginst the grain here....Toyota Tundra pulls my 20' with ease, maintenance is way cheeper than a diesel.

gouldstang
09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
94.5 F350 5 spd Turbo Deisel dually.... works great 330K and still trucking...

7721Cobra
09-02-2009, 01:03 AM
I guess it's too late in the night...I figured my Tundra comment would field a "you commie bastard" response. For the record I do love my Tundra and it pulls my trailer just fine...:bigthumb But I recently was looking to step up to the F250 crew cab. I do like them and they have plenty of room for the family and that car seat you are going to need. But you might want to consider a 5.4 instead. I know the hard core diesel guys are going to disagree, the 6.0L can have turbo problems. Unless you tow regularly and work the turbo, the variable vanes in the turbo are seizing. When I was looking I found two different trucks that had the turbos recently replaced because the people were just using them as grocery getters, both trucks had about 100k. The new diesels get horrible mileage. We just had a Ford factory class on them at work. I can't remember what the proper term for it was but they have something similar to a cat converter. When it gets full an igniter fires and burns fuel to clean them out. They are burning a lot because the diesel we buy doesn't have enough Cetane. Ford recommends adding Cetane boost to every tank of fuel. Also all the new trucks are designed to pull the cab for heavy repairs. Not really convenient for the do it your self mechanic. The maintenance is more expensive. A oil change for my 7.3 cost me about 50 bucks each time. If you have your heart set on a diesel I would find a nice 7.3. The wife’s Expedition with the 5.4 tows the trailer great, so a 5.4 would be just fine. There is plenty of aftermarket toys for those too. Sorry to write a novel but this was all stuff I was looking at when I was in the market. But with a second baby on the way I decided to keep my truck for a little while longer. Good luck Bobby!

Speed Kills
09-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Stay away from a half ton truck. I don't care what anyone tells you, a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a night and day difference.

Other than that, a diesel will serve you best. I'd reccomend a 7.3 or a Duramax.

Carl
09-02-2009, 04:21 AM
I have to disagree with you 7721Cobra, I had a 5.4 F250 and did tow with it, what a POS it was. I drove it from NC to FL with the coupe on a trailer and it was by-far, the worst truck EVER! I traded it in for a 7.3 as soon as I got back to NC.

mustangatic
09-02-2009, 05:36 AM
I pull my buddies 27' enclosed car trailer quite often w/ my 00 f-350 single rear wheel... Pulls great :)

ponymom05
09-02-2009, 06:00 AM
I have a 7.3 w/234,000 miles on it. Just getting broke in. You should borrow it sometime, you'll love it.

bobtsgt
09-02-2009, 06:56 AM
I have a 7.3 w/234,000 miles on it. Just getting broke in. You should borrow it sometime, you'll love it.
Serious or you just screwing with me :lol:

I guess it's too late in the night...I figured my Tundra comment would field a "you commie bastard" response. For the record I do love my Tundra and it pulls my trailer just fine...:bigthumb But I recently was looking to step up to the F250 crew cab. I do like them and they have plenty of room for the family and that car seat you are going to need. But you might want to consider a 5.4 instead. I know the hard core diesel guys are going to disagree, the 6.0L can have turbo problems. Unless you tow regularly and work the turbo, the variable vanes in the turbo are seizing. When I was looking I found two different trucks that had the turbos recently replaced because the people were just using them as grocery getters, both trucks had about 100k. The new diesels get horrible mileage. We just had a Ford factory class on them at work. I can't remember what the proper term for it was but they have something similar to a cat converter. When it gets full an igniter fires and burns fuel to clean them out. They are burning a lot because the diesel we buy doesn't have enough Cetane. Ford recommends adding Cetane boost to every tank of fuel. Also all the new trucks are designed to pull the cab for heavy repairs. Not really convenient for the do it your self mechanic. The maintenance is more expensive. A oil change for my 7.3 cost me about 50 bucks each time. If you have your heart set on a diesel I would find a nice 7.3. The wife’s Expedition with the 5.4 tows the trailer great, so a 5.4 would be just fine. There is plenty of aftermarket toys for those too. Sorry to write a novel but this was all stuff I was looking at when I was in the market. But with a second baby on the way I decided to keep my truck for a little while longer. Good luck Bobby!
Wow! Thanks for the insight bud. We will be looking for a crew for the extra room. The super cabs just don't have the extra inches for a baby seat. Still thinking diesel due to the torque and that I have yet to own one yet. And riding in Cathy's makes me gitty inside. I think we are going to look for a nice 7.3 The oil changes and maintenance issues don't really bother me. Thanks for the info on the Cetane. Never heard about adding that til now. Congrats on the second coming.

transman
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
bob come down i will let u pull my trailer loaded with my dully and u wont by anything else it pull my 24 foot enclosed like its not even back there

rush88GT
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Bob, I borrowed Cathy's for a few days to move some stuff. I loved it and she almost didn't get it back. ;) I got an average of 17mpg. Take Craig with you when you find one you want. He knows a ton about them.

bobtsgt
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
bob come down i will let u pull my trailer loaded with my dully and u wont by anything else it pull my 24 foot enclosed like its not even back there
loaded as is a car or a bunch of dead hookers?

firestang70
09-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Did someone say hookers? :bigthumb

transman
09-03-2009, 08:18 AM

thats for me to know and u to find out just ingnor red and blues following u

pegasus
09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
I guess it's too late in the night...I figured my Tundra comment would field a "you commie bastard" response.

have you taken yours in for the frame rot check yet or was the just the tacos? ya damm commie bastard:D

Camaro86SHOCKER
09-04-2009, 05:43 AM
my 06 f-350 is a beast. no problems, it pull EVERYTHING with ease. that whole 6.0 stuff you read is bullshit. yeah the first ones had problems but most of them have been replaced shortly after the new owners picked them up. I love mine, my uncle has a one a few years older with the 7.3 longbed crew cab and my 06 beats his racing and pulling, trust me we put them through hell one weekend in a diesel penis measuring contest lol.

thecollector
09-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Try www.thedieselstop.com or www.duramaxforum.com. 6.0's are touch and go until the 05 model year. 1st gen duramax's have injector issues and are 280 each. GM extended warranty on them to 7/200k. Cummins aren't bad either (other than the dodge truck built around them). 7.3's are mules, not the fastest at the track but will soldier on cheaply forever. Cost cap wise it takes a lot of towing to justify the cost of diesel ownership. Do the math pior to purchase. If you want the diesel for the cool black smoke factor remember its a heavy truck don't go back to the dealer to complain about hard cold starts rough ride sloppy steering and injector cackle. Good luck.