PDA

View Full Version : Review: DR Fiels and Brush Mower

Black92LX
09-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Just picked up one of these little Puppies.
http://www.drpower.com/EmailProdImages/F0546_300.jpg
I went with the 13hp and 26" cutting deck.

The reason I bought it is because on the east side of my pond I have a pretty steep slope that I could only get about half way down with the tractor and bush hog. If it was wet I could get maybe a quarter way down. The area can be seen here just infront of the tractor down to the left of the pond.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/DSCN0182.jpg
Also on the west side of the dam has been really wet this year with all the rain. So I had to big areas I haven't been able to get with the tractor.
I had been using a big weed eater with the blades on it but that was more of a pain then it was worth.
I had heard nothing but great things about DR Products.

Well got it out and used it today and this thing is great. Very simple to operate and control. It has 4 speeds and reverse. I found 3rd gear to be the best for cutting with maneuvering. 4 was a little jerky when you applied the clutch. Cut very well. Went over some 3 inch samplings like butter. Most of the brush I cut today was about 5 foot high and soaking wet but it did not bog down unless in 1st gear.
It is very safe as the bush hog itself is actually separate from the engine and wheels with a rotating pivot point keeping the blades flat top the ground as the engine and wheels tip. I pushed the limits on a couple slopes the engine and wheels started to go but the blades stayed flat giving plenty of time to disengage the blades and back away.

Excellent piece of equipment. It's actually far more quiet than I expected as well. Very smooth operating as well. No numbness from the vibrating at all. Left hand was a little sore after wards from keeping the operators presence (safety disengage for when the blades are running) and wheel clutch levers depressed. But a decent pair of gloves will solve that problem. Long sleeves are a must as well as my arms were getting slapped a bit.

Only main problem I found yet have no way to remedy is the handles are directly crotch level and if there is a hole you don't see and a wheel gets stuck your forward momentum gets you a handle right to the crotch.

I went through mud and on some pretty good incline and never had to use the wheel locker.

The zero turn finish mower is on it's last legs and was looking to replace it but I think I may buy the 42" lawn deck attachment for DR instead of a new zero turn as the deck is about $750. Versus a few thousand for another zero turn.

All in all very happy with the thing so far.

Timido
09-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I made the mistake of using my neighbors zero-turn the other day. I have one on my xmass list now.