PDA

View Full Version : Question on T5 gear inspection

supercab78
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I have a mid to late 80's T5 that I would like to do a gear inspecting on. Is there a way can I just remove the top cover? It looks like I can just slide the top cover toward the front and then lift up or is there more to it? Thanks.

tdm309
09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
You must first remove the tail shaft housing then you can lift the top cover off. Give me a call and I can walk you through it or you can bring it by the shop for an inspection. 9373962946

Mista Bone
09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
getting the roll pin out, then sliding the piece off the shift shaft is where I'm stuck at.

kennebellcobra
09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Take a 3/16 punch and knock the roll pin out...it will go out the bottom and you can get it later...then slide the piece off the shaft...there is a ball and spring under it...if all the bolts are out of the tailshaft you can tap it off with a mallot...you also have to have the speedo gear out...then remove the top bolts and neutral safety switch...after you get the switch out there is very small rod down is the hole...take it out with magnet...then slide the top cover towards the pass. side of the car and lift off.

Mista Bone
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
pin was knocked down and thru, the piece won't slide off the shaft :(

I can feel the detents, put tranny in 3rd and try to drive the piece off = bigger hammer????

I have a teardown manual......just stuck on that one piece before I can proceed. I have a link to manual....but can't find it right now :(

Timido
09-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Bone if the roll pin is out take the tail shaft bolts out and break the tail shaft housing free from the case. Then you will have an easyier time removing the shifter piece.

Mista Bone
09-15-2009, 12:28 AM
use the tail shaft housing like a slide hammer?

I bought the tranny as a learning tool.....so if it breaks....oh well :)

Yes the pin is out, I can slide the shifter piece about 1/4" before it gets hung up. Haven't had time to really mess with it yet.....

tdm309
09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
you have to remove the tailshaft housing and the shifter linkage at the same time to get both pieces off. As previously stated just take all of the tailshaft housing bolts out then lift the housing off while sliding the shifter linkage off of the shaft at the same time. Sometime they are a little difficult to get off.

Mista Bone
09-20-2009, 02:08 AM
THANK YOU for the guidance....it came right apart.

Only enough black silicone was used to seal up 3 Chevy intakes and a pair of Ford stamped steel valve covers.

Speedo gear and seal is off......

Things I've noticed so far, puny shifter forks with plastic pads.......whose idea of a joke is this????

Also, full floating synchros, long dog teeth as compared to the Honda's I'm used too.