PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a stripper!!!

mustangboy
09-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Well not that kind of stripper, my wife would kill me. I finally broke down and ordered a 30gal drum of B17. It is some really nasty stuff that will make stripping wheels and other hard to strip parts a WHOLE lot easier not to mention much much faster. So those of you thinking about getting wheels done bring em on!! BTW it will be two weeks before it is delivered.

306Power
09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Damn I opened this hoping for pics.

cstreu1026
09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
That sounds like some pretty nasty stuff. Be careful with it.

chadomac
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
THATS SOME BULL!!! you tricked us lol

Mista Bone
09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Well not that kind of stripper, my wife would kill me. I finally broke down and ordered a 30gal drum of B17. It is some really nasty stuff that will make stripping wheels and other hard to strip parts a WHOLE lot easier not to mention much much faster. So those of you thinking about getting wheels done bring em on!! BTW it will be two weeks before it is delivered.

Make sure to wear protection around that nasty stripper.

ADaughen
09-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Make sure to wear protection around that nasty stripper.

No doubt, I was just googled it and found it'll strip the powder coat off in 5 minutes or less.

Sounds pretty caustic. Don't be a fool! Wrap your tool!

Is there a reason to use chemical strippers rather than media blaster?

cstreu1026
09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
No doubt, I was just googled it and found it'll strip the powder coat off in 5 minutes or less.

Sounds pretty caustic. Don't be a fool! Wrap your tool!

From what I read online an acidic stripper and has a fair amount of methylene chloride in it. I would invest in a good, properly fitting respirator.

Wait until you see what that stuff cost to get rid of.

mustangboy
09-15-2009, 10:13 PM

You just answered that with your first sentence. A blast cabinet will barely even touch powder. If you did have a commercial blaster strong enough to remove powder it will leave a very rough surface to coat. Chemical stripping in most cases is far easier and less harmful to the metal. Plus all the blasting I've been doing lately is starting to give me carpal tunnel. As far as disposing of it, this stuff is suppose to last for quite a while and when I am ready to get fresh stuff the state of KY usually has a time once a year you can bring them pretty much anything for disposal. This stuff should make my life a lot easier, right now using a combo of different strippers and blasting it take me a minimum of 4-8hrs to strip a set of wheel. This stuff should reduce that to hopefully no more than an hour or two.

dsmawd350
09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
so our cost goes down? :)

Mista Bone
09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Not likely, that stripper isn't cheap, every see what they charge an hour?????

ADaughen
09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
so our cost goes down? :)

I read $112/gallon or something. :eek:

For me it will be a time/profit balance.

How much is his time worth? How busy is he? Etc.

If it would take him 8 hours to do a set of wheels before, plus media...

Now it takes him 1hr and some expensive chemicals...

If demand currently outweighs the time he has available, this will help bring in more profit, thus, hopefully lowering the overall impact of the cost of a 33 gallon drum of that stuff.

Man, I miss college.

mustangboy
09-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Very well put Adam. For me it is definately a time thing. With being a stay at home dad and still having one not in school full time, my time is at a premium. BTW I will be able to price already coated wheels a little cheaper.

Aweasel
09-16-2009, 01:02 PM
wellllll, when you do get it do you plan on sharing the wealth, that is...paid of course. I got a rear motorcycle wheel I'd like stripped but don't want to have it blasted because apparently it'll pit the aluminum. I was thinking about using aircraft remover but i don't really have a place to do it

stuff sounds crazy, we had stuff at my last job that was used in the nickle/chrome plating process for car parts...we did factory production of a lot of ford grilles actually...anyway, the guys in the plating department often had burns/sores that would never really heal, they said they caught a bat once in the factory and put it in the chemical etch....completely dissolved it. just thought i'd share lol

cstreu1026
09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
There are a lot of very nasty chemicals used in plating processes. I am surprised you don't hear of more serious injuries from places like that.

Aweasel
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
There are a lot of very nasty chemicals used in plating processes. I am surprised you don't hear of more serious injuries from places like that.

well I wasn't there very long but I can only imagine the long term affects it has, no way working 8 hour shift 5 times a week for years above a huge pool of that stuff is good for you...and I mean that in a "it's probably carcinogenic" type of way...respirator or not

mustangboy
09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
wellllll, when you do get it do you plan on sharing the wealth, that is...paid of course. I got a rear motorcycle wheel I'd like stripped but don't want to have it blasted because apparently it'll pit the aluminum. I was thinking about using aircraft remover but i don't really have a place to do it

Of course I would strip it for you. Just pm me in a couple weeks and I'll get that thing bare in no time. There are a couple methods I've used including aircraft stripper. It works well but is very messy and requires alot of scraping and sanding usually while sitting on the ground in very uncofortable positions. I'm just getting too old to be doing this the hard way anymore.

FireStang02
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Since I work at the firehouse down the street from you....just out of curiosity, where you gonna store that?

mustangboy
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
It is not flammable if that what you are wondering. Also it won't be stored in my garage.

facemelter71
09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Itll go in the kitchen,next to the stove.And the stove will be on all the time.While he microwaves some spoons and aluminum foil.

Rick93coupe
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought he told me that he was going to store it next to the bench grinder? :dunno:

facemelter71
09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought he told me that he was going to store it next to the bench grinder? :dunno:

While he lets his car idle in the garage with the door shut?

ADaughen
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
It is not flammable if that what you are wondering. Also it won't be stored in my garage.

Fire departments are usually first responders for hazmat calls.

pegasus
09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
From what I read online an acidic stripper and has a fair amount of methylene chloride in it. I would invest in a good, properly fitting respirator.

Wait until you see what that stuff cost to get rid of.

last i checked a bic lighter was only 98cents JK...JK