PDA

View Full Version : stupid motorcycle question I am not proud of

sean
09-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Ok I am 36 and have been riding for @ 14 years.... I never got my endorsment. I dont like organized testing. lol I made an appointment for thursday to take the on bike test. what is the test like? I have reserched a few things but have nothing solid as to what ohio acually does. I am not real worried about failing and the only reason I am getting the endorsment is so when I am riding with the wife at night down the highway...... I can be legal.

MWoods26
09-18-2009, 01:48 AM
It has been about 10 years since I got mine but it was pretty tuff for guys on full size bikes. Over half the people failed while I was watching/waiting for my turn. There was a course of cones that you have to weave through, a 90 degree turn, a "fast stop" where you have to get up to like 15 mph and stop in a short distance, and I think there was a few other parts of the course. It was pretty hard from what I remember. I got really lucky. There was an old man on a little scooter who was taking the test right after me. He forgot his helmet and asked if he could use mine. (you have to have a helmet as well as EVERYTHING on you bike must work. lights, horn signals, have at least one mirror) I told him he could use my helmet if i could use his scooter:lol: we both passed.

sean
09-18-2009, 01:54 AM
funny.... It doesnt look like they still do the cone weave. But they are 12 feet apart so no real worries there. I bet i will be the only one with 14 years practice..lol The 90 deg turn is there and the u turn is there and a few others maybe. I get a little slack because I am on an 1100cc bike. I have gone through the u turn and 90 deg turn and the go fast and stop part when they were closed but I dont know what else to make sure I can do.

Rick93coupe
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
It's nothing to worry about. I rode a Honda shadow for about 20-30 min to get the feel for it and then took my test on it. Both Ibstrokin and I did the same thing and we both passed with no problems. I think I rubbed a cone or something, but it was a breeze.

SMOKE
09-18-2009, 12:40 PM
funny.... It doesnt look like they still do the cone weave. But they are 12 feet apart so no real worries there. I bet i will be the only one with 14 years practice..lol The 90 deg turn is there and the u turn is there and a few others maybe. I get a little slack because I am on an 1100cc bike. I have gone through the u turn and 90 deg turn and the go fast and stop part when they were closed but I dont know what else to make sure I can do.

They still do the cone weaving. You have to make a 90degree turn inside some double lines. Stop within a measured distance from 15-20MPH and some other stuff that's really easy. The hardest part is the cones (they are closer than 12ft. apart also) but it is also pretty easy. I passed the first time.

347sc
09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Its easy, I passed first time on a sport bike years ago. Just wouldnt try it on a full dressed Harley

ibstrokin
09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Get there early, practice riding through the painted lines. If I had not practiced riding the course, I probably would have failed.

Katmandu
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
When I got mine in Pennsylvania (1979), they made you do slow, tight figure 8's.

I had a bitch of time with that since my bike had a 4" extended front fork. :rolleyes:

BTW, I VERY HIGHLY recommend that ALL bikers take the Honda Safety Course !! Even if you're an extremely experienced rider, it's great to get refresher training.

beefcake
09-18-2009, 03:44 PM
when i took it, they had you point at everything like the kill switch and stuff

then you start out, and make a 90 degree turn, then you up shift then down shift, then you make another turn halfway through the turn you cut back in and go through some cones back and forth, then they have you turn the bike around, and then go through 2 lines of cones, you had to spend like 6 secs or something in em without tipping, then you angle back to the 3rd corner, make the turn then accelerate in first and then hit the brakes

that was it

i was the only one that passed the day i was there

the only 2 somewhat difficult parts are the 8 and staying between the cones.

they aren't actually difficulat if you know what your doing. the trick really is to just ride with the rear brake pressed down, instead of trying to go slow with almost no throttle, you give more throttle but keep your rear foot on the brake, so simple and soo much more control

92coupe
09-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I got mine in 86 on a chopped Harley, Passed it no problems,. Just make sure you have all the safety devices working on your bike.

dedpedal
09-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Id like to get the endorsement but Ky only gives the test on fridays and you have to sign up in advance. If it rains, youre put off till the next week. I cant afford to take a day off right now so Ill stick with my intructional permit.

347sc
09-19-2009, 09:09 AM
/TW, I VERY HIGHLY recommend that ALL bikers take the Honda Safety Course !! Even if you're an extremely experienced rider, it's great to get refresher training.

If you take this course in Ohio it takes the place of the test and you can get your endorsment.

Katmandu
09-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Ky only gives the test on fridays.Sorry man.... KY and motorcycles in the same sentence reminded me of this bike! :lol:

http://katmanduonline.net/pics/other/Redneck%20Motorcycle.jpg

Check out more Redneck rides here-->>

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/take-a-test-are-you-a_188690.htm?Ref=Newsletter

sean
09-24-2009, 12:45 PM
well I practiced and practiced and the only thing I was worried about was the cones. It is an off set weave 12 feet apart. Shit aint easy. After practicing and getting it down pat I was ready. I got there today and I went first and wouldnt you know I screwed up the damn cones.... I got 6 points right there. I aced everything else and finished with a freaking 6 so......... I PASSED.. wooooo hoooooooo. There were 4 of us, all with years of riding time and I was the only one who knew the corse and practiced. I was the only one to pass. Now I can do all the stuff I have been doing.... But now I am legal. AND by the way. The new drivers liscense is freaking PINK. So yea.. ENJOY
Thank you everyone for your input and help. Now I need to get a nicer bike.

sean
09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
16296this is what got me my endorsment. v65 sabre 1100 honda.

02mingryGT
09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Congrats on your endorsement!