PDA

View Full Version : Input shaft swap?

69428SCJ
09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been on here for quite some time. I've been busy with other projects but now I'm back to my cobra. Here's the story, the PO destroyed the transmission so I had to use the warranty I bought with my car to get a new tranny. A ProMotion clutch and 26-spline input shaft were put in the old one and in order for the warranty to cover the replacement I had to accept the 10-spline that originally came with the car along with OEM clutch and pressure plate. I'm not too sure I want to put the ProMotion parts back in since I don't plan on running it hard, but if I do, I'd like to know the cheapest way to replace the input shaft. I have a guy that said he'd do it for dirt cheap. I considered doing this myself but I'm a complete novice when it comes T56s. Could I get some advice on how to approach this issue? Should I go ahead and buy a new input shaft and replace the clutch or just leave it as is since I'm not really looking for performance upgrades at the moment? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

NXcoupe
09-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I would just leave it alone. If you are not running slicks or drag radials, the input should be fine. Run the clutch till it goes and then put a performance unit in it. What is a PO?

Mista Bone
09-20-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm thinking wife or friend :)

PS: Just got my first tailshaft off :)

69428SCJ
09-20-2009, 03:22 AM
PO is previous owner...sorry for the confusion. I figured that I would run the clutch until I needed to replace it and then put the ProMotion stuff back in. I figure by that time I'll have enough for that 3.4L Whipple I have my eye on.