PDA

View Full Version : nitrous- plate or nozzle?

zlou363lx
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
i am going to be converting my engine from a carb setup to fuel injection, and am looking for opinions on nitrous setups. with my carb i'm running the nx plate kit. with the fuel injection which is better? i think that i want to go with a plate on it, but am looking for opinions from those using either a plate or nozzle. lets here it.:bigthumb

Jeff88coupe
09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
With EFI...if you want to go above a 150 shot...get a efi plate. Much more even flow pattern to each cylinder vs. a single nozzle. I run a NX efi phase 3 plate on my tfs-r intake...like it alot.

bbfstanger
09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
i ran the nx shark single nozzle wet kit last year with good results, i was spraying up to 250hp
id go plate if you want to spray more than that

NXcoupe
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, plate hands down. The nozzle is a crap shoot at higher shots, burning plugs and a piston isn't uncommon when you spray large shots with a single nozzle. 150 and below and a wet nozzle is fine, above that and luck gets involved.

Jeff88coupe
09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, plate hands down. The nozzle is a crap shoot at higher shots, burning plugs and a piston isn't uncommon when you spray large shots with a single nozzle. 150 and below and a wet nozzle is fine, above that and luck gets involved.

Yep...and backfire's from fuel puddling in the upper intake.
BBFstanger..how many backfires did you have running a single nozzle kit?
I know early on in NMRA r/s...guys running a wet single nozzle kit helped keep K&N in business...blew lots of them off..and the rules wouldn't let them run without one.

bbfstanger
09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Yep...and backfire's from fuel puddling in the upper intake.
BBFstanger..how many backfires did you have running a single nozzle kit?
I know early on in NMRA r/s...guys running a wet single nozzle kit helped keep K&N in business...blew lots of them off..and the rules wouldn't let them run without one.

that poor little air filter!! the inside of my fender had a bbk imprint lol!
it only backfired when i tried to hotlap it on 250 hit,was just to much heat in that stock motor.
30 passes with 200hit i never had a prob.
i shoulda ran a colder plug than i did on the 250 hit ,i dont think i woulda had as many backfires/plug meltdowns.
had over 20 runs on a 250 hit without probs. but every once in a while boom!
i figured i was just pushing the stock limits.
plates backfire too,it happens with nitrous.

zlou363lx
09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
jeff and mike, do you have pics of your set-ups? i'm interested in seeing them.

Jeff88coupe
09-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Not much to really "see"...it's the black plate between the upper and lower intake.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/353293578_a3c8bf6910.jpg

Here is the plate with the upper off when I was test fitting it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/136090250_8b1be6e364.jpg

zlou363lx
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
yours doesn't have the bars in it. i thought that that was the plate with the bars? have you run one with the bars?

Jeff88coupe
09-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes...I run NX's new Phase 3 efi plate.....i use to run their earlier twin gemini plate with the twin sets of spray bars. I really haven't noticed a difference between the two. But some guys had distribution issues in the front cylinders with the twin gemini plate with the larger size shots.

zlou363lx
09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
ah. the most that i will be running will be 200shot i'm thinking. how big was the shot that they were having problems with?

Jeff88coupe
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
300....seems the front cylinders were going lean. The fuel and nitrous travels threw the spray bars from the rear to the front in the twin gemini plate. Thinking was that the fuel was loosing pressure/volume as it went forward in the fuel spray bar and not delivering the proper amount to 1/5 cylinders.

zlou363lx
09-23-2009, 09:34 PM
gotcha. i'd guess that i would be good running either a 150-200shot then.

Jeff88coupe
09-23-2009, 10:28 PM
gotcha. i'd guess that i would be good running either a 150-200shot then.

Yep...I ran a 200 shot with that plate with no issues. One guy got around the bigger shot problem by drilling/tapping the front of the plate for jet fittings...running a split 2 jet for each spray bar like the NOS efi bigshot kits.

NXcoupe
09-27-2009, 02:46 PM
My setup is a single nozzle system. I have an MSD digital 7 and a PMS to make it all work. When I was first using the long runner intake, I had all the same problems that Bruce Hemminger, Tuten, and all the others had. Poor distribution and low velocity in the #5 port, which lets the fuel fall out and the nitrous get in. Ends up burning up stuff. Guys tried running a larger fuel injector in that one cylinder, tried running really high fuel pressures, all sorts of stuff, but the best set up is what I run and the old setup I used to use that Bruce uses. He uses a motorsport epec, now that's a throwback, mine burned up his is still working but he's got extras, just in case. I gave him his first program for it. He went in the 60's with it. Then the rest is history. He didn't pick up much, he just stopped burning up pistons and heads, well for the most part, lol.
I have a few plates if you would like to just have a look see, none are for sale. I have the one Jeff has, I have the spray bar type, and then I have the custom one I made for real street the year we were allowed plate systems. It should go into a museum, it's a trip! Individual cylinder tuning. Kind of like what Edelbrock came out with for a while.

zlou363lx
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
ok, i picked up a trick flow plate kit with some other stuff, and even though it is awhile until i put it on anything i am wondering if my idea for wiring will work...i am wanting to use a window switch on it, but would also like to launch on the bottle. would i be able to wire a WOT switch to to activate the window switch? if that weren't possible then as i am sitting at the tree waiting to launch i would be in the window for the nitrous to be going. so would the WOT switch to window switch work?

Jeff88coupe
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes...you can use a WOT switch to turn on the window switch. That way the nitrous will only work at WOT within your rpm window setting. You can be sitting at the line with the rpms up in that window range...but not have the gas pedal at WOT..so no spray...untill you floor it while dumping the clutch.

zlou363lx
10-25-2009, 11:37 PM
alright. that's what i was thinking, but wanted to check myself on it. thanks