PDA

View Full Version : 1991 coupe on fire

94bluestang
09-27-2009, 11:21 AM
i have a 1991 coupe with a 331 stroker motor the other day i raced a 98 or 99
camaro and blew its doors off for the first raced with the car i was impressed cause the camaro was pullin a low 12 sec. pass at the track a week before and i beat him by about 7-9 cars spinnin though 1st 2nd and half of 3rd. But a hour or so went by and i was sittin a buddies house a block away from my house, and i got ready to go home and as i was drivin i seen my volts meter peged out and as i pulled into my drive way i saw flames though my cowl on my hood.i got it out luckly and the clip thats plugged into the alternator was melted. The person that owned the car before me put a bigger alternator on it but didnt change any of the wiring just changed the clip. I was just wonderin if you would have to put bigger gauge wire and what else would i need for it to be right.

Thanks, Dustin

331TwistedWedge
09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
whats your stroker combo and times? ... i have a 91 red coupe as well, with a 331 ... :bigthumb

cobra429boss
09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
whats your stroker combo and times? ... i have a 91 red coupe as well, with a 331 ... :bigthumb

he hasnt ran it yet but it ran real good against that camaro hes talking about. i would say it would go some high 11's on the motor, the camaro guy was pissed:lol: It was a nice 97z anniv car lt4 heads big cam stall etc.. car ran low 12's week before like he said and the coupe had no problem knockin its socks off

94bluestang
09-27-2009, 01:17 PM
yeah i am not to sure about the internals he told me what it had i forgot some of it,it has a billit aluminum crank,Gt40 tubbular upper and lower,it has alot of bolt ons i just cant think right now i am on bold ass tires so cant tell to much that camaro was on on brand new street tires still had nipples on em, And he went a 1240 or 50 and i put a hurtin so i am hopein it will pull some good 11s. What is your set up and have you ever had the alternator problem my car has one off an 94 95 alternator i think it a 130 amp and it call for a 80 or 90 amp not to sure though

blk93notch
09-27-2009, 01:18 PM
i believe pa alternator sells a kit for ot. it includes a 4 gauge wire just for the reason of the higher amp. hope this helps

331TwistedWedge
09-27-2009, 02:14 PM
never had an alternator issue ... im pretty much running my board name ~ twisted wedge heads on a 331 ... small cam (.513 lift / .232 dur) ... victor 5.0 efi intake ... nothing special ... i would imagine my car could do much better, but i dont pay enough attention to the little details ...

i may do some things this winter, not sure what ...

what heads are you running? ... thats the most important part, lol ...

1byafender
09-27-2009, 02:32 PM
The billet aluminum crank that you have is badass I bet. I'd say it revs fast as hell, lol. Is the camshaft billet aluminum too? lol

94bluestang
10-12-2009, 07:02 PM
The billet aluminum crank that you have is badass I bet. I'd say it revs fast as hell, lol. Is the camshaft billet aluminum too? lol

no its not smart ass i was thinkin bout the distributor, ITS A BILLIT STEEL CRANK, is that better for ya