PDA

View Full Version : Stalling.

facemelter71
09-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Just got my coupe started and running.But when I put it in gear it tends to want to stall out.
The engine is a 331 stroker,edelbrock heads,Typhoon upper and lower,cam is a 224* duration with .516" lift.The trans is an AOD with supposedly a hugh's converter with about 3k stall.The converter says FOMOCO on it and im not to sure if Hughs converters are black.When I put it in gear it with stay idleing but when I go to press on the gas the rpm's wil raise up then when I let off it will usually just die out.
Maybe Dirtydog can clue me on the converter.Or some one else can chim in and give me some insite.I do have a chip in it with just a generic tune to get it to run and drive.I can walk out right now and start it and it will idle.But it will only idle about 10-12 minutes and it will start to idle surge then die.Any one have any ideas.

Fuel pressure is 39 Vacuum off,Timing is 10 but I will check that again when I get home,vacuum lines are all good.

Paul408Notch
09-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Sounds like your throttle screw needs adjustment, and you may need to drop a couple of pounds of fuel pressure.

If the IAC is all the way open when the car is sitting there idling, then you romp the gas, it can't open any more when you snap the throttle closed to compensate for the extra fuel still in there.

facemelter71
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok,I also need to mention that I have 60 pound fuel injectors which have been compensated through the chip,and it is also NOT an open/closed loop problem.

Paul,I am getting to the end of my adjustment on idle adjustment screw,unless I get a longer screw.I can go another maybe 4 turns in,think that might be enough?

And Im pretty sure I need to get that wideband hooked up to see what its doing.

boostanggt
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Buy a tremec :)

facemelter71
09-29-2009, 12:06 PM
We went through this Blake.
I found the problem.This guy will spell it out for you Blake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Paul408Notch
09-29-2009, 12:12 PM
The way I've always set the idle is by getting the car idling, un-plugging the IAC, and making the car just barely idle without the IAC. Once it will stay running, plug the IAC back in, set the TPS, and it should be good. And 60lb injectors are WAY too big for that motor. :lol:

facemelter71
09-29-2009, 12:24 PM
The 60's are in their for later purpose.Since Im going turbo in the very near future, I went bigger.
Doesnt smell rich though.Thats why I need the Wideband hooked up,my nose isn't the greatest for telling exact A/F ratio.

boostanggt
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Haha thanks Andy. That guy looks like a doctor with a damn chrysler in his office.

Pitbull1052
09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
isnt that the guy that does the Tony the Tiger voice lol

Dirtyd0g
09-30-2009, 02:00 AM
you aren't going to like what I am about to tell you. It probably isn't the converter. My guess is the direct drum is getting stuck together.
Alan

facemelter71
09-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Thats not cool Alan.Although I got the car to go down the street since it wouldnt die right after startup. It wouldnt go into 2nd gear.Probly a TV cable adjustment.

I found out the car itself is stalling,it was just a coincidence that it died with it in gear.So I hope a little TV cable adjustment will help shift into second.

Paul,I got the Wideband hooked up,and started it and left it at idle.It stayed at about roughly 16/16.5-1 Air Fuel.So I think it needs some tweekin.Probly the reason it is dyin out.

Dirtyd0g
09-30-2009, 12:30 PM
AOD=Stalling in gear when hot and trouble going into 2nd=fried.
All too common there. Drop the pan and do an inspection before you do much more.
Alan

Paul408Notch
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Thats not cool Alan.Although I got the car to go down the street since it wouldnt die right after startup. It wkuldnt go into 2nd gear.Probly a TV cable adjustment.

I found out the car itself is stalling,it was just a coincidence that it died with it in gear.So I hope a little TV cable adjustment will help shift into second.

Paul,I got the Wideband hooked up,and started it and left it at idle.It stayed at about roughly 16/16.5-1 Air Fuel.So I think it needs some tweekin.Probly the reason it is dyin out.

If that's the case, then crank up the fuel pressure a few pounds.

facemelter71
09-30-2009, 01:05 PM
AOD=Stalling in gear when hot and trouble going into 2nd=fried.
All too common there. Drop the pan and do an inspection before you do much more.
Alan

Was gone through before I purchased it by a trans shop.Have no idea who,but the guy I bought it from had it freshened up.It was stalling from the car being at to high an air fuel ratio and not wanting to run.Trans seamed to be ok when I drove it,but I never adjusted the Kickdown cable..Is it possible that its not shifting because I havent messed with the Cable? I have another trans I can stick in there for the time being but Im sure it would explode at the first half throttle blip.

facemelter71
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope there isnt some thing badly wrong.I just want this turd to drive under its own power.

Dirtyd0g
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
It could be just a motor problem however if the problem is in the transmission converter it would be in the direct drum. That converter bypasses the converter for direct so if the clutches bind (which is common) they will cause stalling in gear. We used to start the things in neutral, drop into drive and go like hell to avoid pushing the cars in.
Alan

facemelter71
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Man I hope its just a motor problem.I didnt even get a chance to mess with it last night.I put the new alternator on,and pretty much called it a night.

Adam@S&MMotorsports
10-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Man you are going to have issues you are running on a BASE tune. Do not fuck with fuel pressure or timing just get it down here for a tune. Fox bodies prefer to idle a little on the lean side especially with a decent sized cam, 16 to 1 is perfectly normal.

facemelter71
10-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Well I got it to shift into second and third.Thats a blessing.
I know its on the base tune,but i wanted to get it some what close so I can get it to the gas station.And I hear some thing rubbing or scraping from the suspension when Its rolling.And the noise goes away when I turn right.So I have to fix that.And other than a trailer,I have no other way of getting it down there.Which I might rent one this weekend.Dont know yet.

facemelter71
10-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I was going to drive it to the Dyno day at Cincy Speed,but the car had other plan's.I thought I had it figured out so I went and bought plates for it.Slapped them on there and it fired right up.I drove it a block down the street and it stalled out.I limped it home and parked it their.
I went to the Dyno day and had a great time.Had my Boy do a short rundown on the chip.He turned some things off,and some things up.Now it runs and idles for as long as I want.A/F is alot better while driving also.Think I might try to drive it to work tomorrow.