PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter question

Blackpony
10-01-2009, 08:19 AM
On tuesday i took my 07 Chevy Equinox into the shop for a ticking noise that was coming from the top of the motor. Automaticly i assumed that there might be a lifter or valve problem being that the first generation on these vehicles had head problems. After i get it back yesterday on the service report it states that due to the after market oil filter being installed there is no pressure valve in the filter and that the filter was the problem. Now as soon as i read that i walked back in to the service and call bullshit. I always use a Mobile one filter and since purchasing the car new and have always used full mobile one synthetic oil. The service guy there said that i wouldn't get the tick if i used a AC Delco filter. I don't agree with that but i can be wrong, how is it a filter that cost twice as much be worse for my car.

I have worked on cars for almost 20 years and work at a auto parts store as a part time thing for 10 years but i have never heard this one. I have done my home work on filters long ago and everything points to me buying the better filter with the anti drain back valve in it like the mobile one of a k&n. I would like some feed back please.

331TwistedWedge
10-01-2009, 08:40 AM
its a chevy ... enough said ... :lol:

Blackpony
10-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I knew i was get some shit about being a chevy but my wife wanted it and it has come in handy with camping trips to the Smokies.

347sc
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
According to GM bulletin #07-06-01-016B it is possible

Important: Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelcoŽ oil filters directly from GMSPO

facemelter71
10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Almost the same thing here at Volvo.Alot of companies came out with an aftermarket filter insert just like the ones we have.Only thing is the bonding agent they used for the material came apart inside the engines under normal use and clogged oil passage's and destroyed alot of engine's.

Ranger50
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Most of the time when I had this complaint, I looked for an oil filter that comes in either an orange or black can and started with PH in the part number. Once I replaced that, magically the noise went away......

Sometimes the noise didn't go away. At that point, it was time to take off the oil pan and see if any rod bearings had taken a beating from no oil pressure. Most of them had some sort of damage.

Brian

347sc
10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Lol So you don't like Fram either?

RyanR
10-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Lol So you don't like Fram either?

Fram is garbage. They just have good marketing.

NUTTSGT
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM

I'll agree with that, living on their name.

AntiRice427
10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
The mobile 1 filter does not have a check valve in it. Factory parts are the best.

02mingryGT
10-02-2009, 07:33 AM

+2 on that. FRAM SUCKS BALLS.

BigBadStang
10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Many of the NAPA Gold filters have the required valves too.

ClevelandMstang
10-04-2009, 12:30 AM
There are like 3 suppliers of oil filters overall, alot are the smae with a different name on them, I will look for the info and post it if I can find it..

I have went round and round with boat guys about oil filters, you run a boat at 5000 rpm for a long period of time, oil flow becomes very critical, way more then ANY car engine, I use K&N but also have used Fram HP series, never had an issue with either, 99% of the time it is neglect when there is an issue..

Katmandu
10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Check out this oil filter review....

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml