PDA

View Full Version : xp vs vista / new windows?

beefcake
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
i got my new laptop a couple weeks ago, i got vista which i've never had because they said i could upgrade to the new windows which i've heard is supposed to be really good.

however, sct doesn't have datalogging compatible with x64, so i'm debating loading a copy of xp on the new laptop

whadya guys think?

i could always datalog with the old laptop, but i want to be using my faster processor and stuff

05yellowgt
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Wait till windows 7 comes out next week and install a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP. That way you get the best of both worlds.

beefcake
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Wait till windows 7 comes out next week and install a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP. That way you get the best of both worlds.

your gonna have to walk me through that stuff man, lol

i have no idea how to do that

system should still run quick right?

i've got a 2.6 gig with 6 gigs of ram

jdubya
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
You can load windows 7 on it, but you don't need to dual boot XP. You can actually load up XP inside Windows 7 and run then at the same time. The system will run fine but if your running a 32 bit version you can't use any more than 4GB of ram.

beefcake
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
You can load windows 7 on it, but you don't need to dual boot XP. You can actually load up XP inside Windows 7 and run then at the same time. The system will run fine but if your running a 32 bit version you can't use any more than 4GB of ram.

so, what version of xp do i need? where do you pick em up at?

i want to take full advantage of my ram

jdubya
10-12-2009, 01:11 PM
If you want to use more than 4 GB's of ram you need to run a 64 bit OS. One thing I haven't tried yet with Windows 7 64 bit is see if you can run the 32 bit version of XP inside it. It "should" work but I've not tried it yet. That way you can still use all your ram, but you can run your software in 32 bit XP.

As a side note, this is called XPM (XP Mode) in Windows 7. The only requirement is you have to turn on virtualization support in your PC/Laptop BIOS.

05yellowgt
10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I've not been reading up on my Window7 features like I should be it seems! Thanks for the input jdubya!

jdubya
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
You should check it out fo sho.

I consulted with my fellow nerds and 32 bit XP will run under 64 bit Windows 7. You just need to make sure your system has Virtualization support.

05yellowgt
10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Cool, a co-worker of mine is at a Developers Conference up in Cleveland today and he gets a free copy of Windows 7 for going up there. Looking forward to playing with a copy. I've run beta Windows OS's in the past but I never got into the Windows 7 beta.

beefcake
10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
how do both systems " run together"

jdubya
10-12-2009, 04:00 PM
You will first need to go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx) and download the virtual PC software. Once it's installed on windows 7 it will show up as a program icon on the start menu. You would just run it like you would any other application. It will boot XP in a window and you use it just like any other XP machine. You can minimize it and still be running in windows 7.

beefcake
10-12-2009, 04:24 PM
You will first need to go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx) and download the virtual PC software. Once it's installed on windows 7 it will show up as a program icon on the start menu. You would just run it like you would any other application. It will boot XP in a window and you use it just like any other XP machine. You can minimize it and still be running in windows 7.

should i wait til the 7 comes out and do this, or can i do it now, dell said when i get the windows 7 upgrade, it can be updated with the vista

jdubya
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
XP mode is only in Windows 7 so you would need to wait for it. I believe it will be available for retail sale on the 22nd of this month.

Carl
10-13-2009, 04:24 AM
I would wait for it Terry, sounds like it may be just the ticket for what you want to do. Keep using the old computer for a few more weeks.