PDA

View Full Version : Any of you computer guys try windows 7 yet?

Rick93coupe
10-22-2009, 07:02 AM
I need a new OS and wanted to get some reviews. I held out and never bought Vista, glad I didn't. Windows 7 sounds like it may be worthwhile.

Mista Bone
10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
You are smoking what pipe?

Rick93coupe
10-22-2009, 07:49 AM
You are smoking what pipe?

Just so you know, saying it doesn't get released until Thursday is a hell of a lot more productive than what you said. Just makes you look like a dick.

With all the email I've been getting trying to sell it to me, I figured it had been released and I just missed it.

jdubya
10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I've been running it for the last 6 months. It's in every way better than Vista AND XP. I highly recommend getting it.

05yellowgt
10-22-2009, 09:32 AM
There have been plenty of people running and testing out the final RC of Windows 7 and I have heard many many good things about it. I am going to be getting a new work laptop ordered this week and it is going to have Windows 7 Professional on it.

Rick93coupe
10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I've been running it for the last 6 months. It's in every way better than Vista AND XP. I highly recommend getting it.

There have been plenty of people running and testing out the final RC of Windows 7 and I have heard many many good things about it. I am going to be getting a new work laptop ordered this week and it is going to have Windows 7 Professional on it.

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for.

Katmandu
10-22-2009, 03:01 PM
I've run Vista for over a year and never had ANY issues at all.

The folks that hate it, don't know how to set it up. :rolleyes:

Turn off all the eye candy bullshit and make sure you have a minimum of 2GB Ram and you'll do just fine with it. :bigthumb

Katmandu
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
How does Windows 7 differ from Vista ?

Who has the cheapest price on Windows 7 ?

nsaniti
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
i run an modded light version of xp.. vista is a resource hog no matter how you set it up, wouldnt run it without 4gigs of ddr3, even then thats a waste of a nice system. not so sure on windows 7, heard different opinions, might toss it on another hdd and see if i like it.

jdubya
10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
How would I know. I apparently don't even know how to set up Vista.

Rick93coupe
10-22-2009, 09:09 PM
How would I know. I apparently don't even know how to set up Vista.

Take everything he says with a grain of salt. Better yet, Tequila, salt and a squirt of lemon!

beefcake
10-22-2009, 10:11 PM
alright, with the new laptop i get the free upgrade to 7 home edition, i guess the 2nd level out of the 4,

anyway, on dells website it says that you have to have professional to "seamlessly" run most xp programs

i called dell and told them i needed to run xp stuff when i bought the laptop and the sales rep said i'd be able to

after some checking she said that xp programs can run on the home edition as well, you just have to set it up yourself on like 32 bit option or something

can someone confirm this?

Black92LX
10-23-2009, 08:51 AM
alright, with the new laptop i get the free upgrade to 7 home edition, i guess the 2nd level out of the 4,

anyway, on dells website it says that you have to have professional to "seamlessly" run most xp programs

i called dell and told them i needed to run xp stuff when i bought the laptop and the sales rep said i'd be able to

after some checking she said that xp programs can run on the home edition as well, you just have to set it up yourself on like 32 bit option or something

can someone confirm this?

my understanding is that some XP programs will run in W7 home but not all.
But with professional it will revert back to XP so that you can run all XP programs.

Katmandu
10-24-2009, 02:07 PM

can someone confirm this?Windows 7 is just an upgraded/streamlined version of VISTA.

MS changed the name from Vista because of all the bad press Vista got when it came out. Just a PR move by MS.

Whatever XP programs run/don't run with Vista should be the same with Windows 7.

pmneed1
10-24-2009, 02:58 PM
love it

jdubya
10-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Windows 7 is just an upgraded/streamlined version of VISTA.

MS changed the name from Vista because of all the bad press Vista got when it came out. Just a PR move by MS.

Whatever XP programs run/don't run with Vista should be the same with Windows 7.

7 Also has XP mode and will run ANYTHING XP will run.

Black92LX
10-25-2009, 08:11 AM
7 Also has XP mode and will run ANYTHING XP will run.

I think only the professional and ultimate versions do.

beefcake
10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
from what they told me at dell, the professional does it automatically where you have to configure it for the home

mach_u
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Running Win 7 Ultimate and absolutely love it. Have Win 7 Business loaded on the wife's laptop also. Works great! :bigthumb

Black Horse
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Running Win 7 Ultimate and absolutely love it. Have Win 7 Business loaded on the wife's laptop also. Works great! :bigthumb

What do you see as the big benefits of the 7?