PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting an engine block.

mustanger
10-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Can I sand blast an engine block while the heads are still on it and the valve covers not ? If so how would I go about covering up the internals so I could blast the block and not get anything inside the engine ?
Thanks

mustangboy
10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't. When you blast that sand goes EVERYWHERE and is a huge mess to clean up.

Rick93coupe
10-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Can I sand blast an engine block while the heads are still on it and the valve covers not ? If so how would I go about covering up the internals so I could blast the block and not get anything inside the engine ?
Thanks

No, like Kenny said, don't even consider it. What are you trying to do? Is this a running engine or something your going to rebuild?

RIXXX93GT
10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. You may think you have it perfectly sealed up but you WILL get sand where you dont want it.

mustanger
10-23-2009, 06:34 PM
No, like Kenny said, don't even consider it. What are you trying to do? Is this a running engine or something your going to rebuild?

This is the engine I got off Nathen...was going to repaint the oil pan and while I was at it thought about repainting the engine.

Should I just do it the old fashion way...by hand ?

RIXXX93GT
10-23-2009, 09:39 PM
In the old days I used oven cleaner and a wire brush, it would take it right down to the bare casting. It will ruin your gaskets though. Why not just knock off the loose paint, prime it and shoot it.

mustanger
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
In the old days I used oven cleaner and a wire brush, it would take it right down to the bare casting. It will ruin your gaskets though. Why not just knock off the loose paint, prime it and shoot it.

That's what I'll probably do with it.:bigthumb

Rick93coupe
10-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I'll second the oven cleaner. I've used it on all sorts of car parts through the yrs . when your ready to paint the block look for the little cans of rustoleum, satin black looks real nice and its real easy to brush on.

mustanger
10-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok guys thanks for the tips I'll try the oven cleaner and paint :bigthumb