PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Mike Bell!

Waffles
11-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I just wanted to take a minute to thank Mike Bell for all his help and hard work.

I met Mike about a year and a half ago while shopping for a dyno tune after doing a bunch of bolt-ons. I’d called around before talking to Mike, most places just didn’t want to take the time to explain things to me. One place seemed to have nothing but time and nearly refused to hang up the phone without my credit card number. Another closer shop is great to work with, but in the end it Mike’s “special” made the difference. After a couple of days of mulling things over, I scheduled with Mike.

My car gave Mike fits. I goofed a few things up (I did the bolt-ons myself and am by no means a mechanic) that Mike quickly corrected, but also the car was acting erratically. One set of problems on the stock tune would just seem to transform into another set of problems on one of Mike’s tunes, and nothing stayed consistent. Eventually, we ran out of time for the day. Mike had worked on my car for at least 4 or 5 hours but refused to charge me for anything but the tuner until he figured it out. We spent the next week emailing tunes and datalogs back and forth.

It turned out, a local stang guy had seen nearly the exact same problem and it turned out to be the exact same cause. The two bolts under the Cobra intake hat had vibrated loose and created a vacuum leak. I’m not sure why Mike didn’t kill me when I told him that it had all been my fault for not using lock-tite. He was just happy it was fixed.

Some time later I developed a rod knock (I think) and decided to build a new stroker motor for my car. I knew I’d be nickel and diming it, so I didn’t want to take advantage of Mike any more than I already had. I posted about my build on here. Mike calls me, cuts me a hell of a deal on building the motor WITH me (I really wanted to learn!), and tells me to bring the thing up. We worked together on it a few Saturdays, ended up needing another block which Mike worked out in his own time (Matt Johnson and I traded blocks), and really just went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of.

To make an even longer story a just little shorter I lost my job and had to put the project on hold. Mike, even though I know he needs the money (who doesn’t?) has never hassled me about my motor that’s been sitting there for nearly a year now.

This is evidently just who Mike is. I’ve watched him go out of his way to help people so many times. I’ve seen him jump in and offer his time and services for a good cause. I’ve seen what kind of guy Mike is with this community he truly sees as friends.

Anyway, I know this got long winded. I just wanted to say, “thanks Mike, you’re a great guy.” I really appreciate your time and patience with me. I’m excited that I’m in a position now to get started back up on my motor and will be in touch very soon. Oh, it’s great to hear about all the improvements to the shop too! That’s freaking awesome and can only help business.

2Kblacksleeper
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
It nice to have a great asset like Mike here on the board. I see him on Sn95 helping out people also.

I hope to pick up a Vortech for my 95 later this year from him.

John

Squale iii
11-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to take a minute to thank Mike Bell for all his help and hard work.

I met Mike about a year and a half ago while shopping for a dyno tune after doing a bunch of bolt-ons. I’d called around before talking to Mike, most places just didn’t want to take the time to explain things to me. One place seemed to have nothing but time and nearly refused to hang up the phone without my credit card number. Another closer shop is great to work with, but in the end it Mike’s “special” made the difference. After a couple of days of mulling things over, I scheduled with Mike.

My car gave Mike fits. I goofed a few things up (I did the bolt-ons myself and am by no means a mechanic) that Mike quickly corrected, but also the car was acting erratically. One set of problems on the stock tune would just seem to transform into another set of problems on one of Mike’s tunes, and nothing stayed consistent. Eventually, we ran out of time for the day. Mike had worked on my car for at least 4 or 5 hours but refused to charge me for anything but the tuner until he figured it out. We spent the next week emailing tunes and datalogs back and forth.

It turned out, a local stang guy had seen nearly the exact same problem and it turned out to be the exact same cause. The two bolts under the Cobra intake hat had vibrated loose and created a vacuum leak. I’m not sure why Mike didn’t kill me when I told him that it had all been my fault for not using lock-tite. He was just happy it was fixed.

Some time later I developed a rod knock (I think) and decided to build a new stroker motor for my car. I knew I’d be nickel and diming it, so I didn’t want to take advantage of Mike any more than I already had. I posted about my build on here. Mike calls me, cuts me a hell of a deal on building the motor WITH me (I really wanted to learn!), and tells me to bring the thing up. We worked together on it a few Saturdays, ended up needing another block which Mike worked out in his own time (Matt Johnson and I traded blocks), and really just went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of.

To make an even longer story a just little shorter I lost my job and had to put the project on hold. Mike, even though I know he needs the money (who doesn’t?) has never hassled me about my motor that’s been sitting there for nearly a year now.

This is evidently just who Mike is. I’ve watched him go out of his way to help people so many times. I’ve seen him jump in and offer his time and services for a good cause. I’ve seen what kind of guy Mike is with this community he truly sees as friends.

Anyway, I know this got long winded. I just wanted to say, “thanks Mike, you’re a great guy.” I really appreciate your time and patience with me. I’m excited that I’m in a position now to get started back up on my motor and will be in touch very soon. Oh, it’s great to hear about all the improvements to the shop too! That’s freaking awesome and can only help business.

Wanna race? Dig or 30 roll, doesn't matter to me.

Waffles
11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Grow up kid. Keep it in your street racing forum. Or better yet, keep it on your street racing board. Why the hell do you punks have to get in every effing thread and start your shit? Evidently you can't even read if you're going to ask me to street race you after that post.

cobra429boss
11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Grow up kid. Keep it in your street racing forum. Or better yet, keep it on your street racing board. Why the hell do you punks have to get in every effing thread and start your shit? Evidently you can't even read if you're going to ask me to street race you after that post.

LOL thats what i was thinking..

Squale iii
11-01-2009, 07:47 PM

How does that make me a punk ass kid? I'm 24. I love to race. I simply asked if you wanted to race. That was it. How am I starting shit? Do mustang guys not like to race or something? You'd think this was a honda site they way everybody has sand in their vag whenever racing gets brought up.

And for the record, Mike Bell is a cool guy. He may not remember, but he rebuilt my T-56 for my Z28 when I first bought it about 1-2 years ago. Trans still shifts great mang!

Squale iii
11-01-2009, 07:48 PM
LOL thats what i was thinking..

These damn "kids" and their street racing..why can't they just grow up? :bigthumb I'm not the one with the name "hardcore" and yet I get my panties in a bunch when a stock headed LS1 asks me if I'd like to do a fun run lol.

MattKatz
11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
These damn "kids" and their street racing..why can't they just grow up? :bigthumb I'm not the one with the name "hardcore" and yet I get my panties in a bunch when a stock headed LS1 asks me if I'd like to do a fun run lol.

TOny...Its not that you asked him to run.....You did it in the wrong place.

I even agree this was not the place for a post like that.
Sorry man.

Squale iii
11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
that's cool. I'll keep it in the "proper" venue lol.

Waffles
11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, and if you'd learn to read, my motor is in Mike's shop... Um, sure... let's race. :rolleyes:

If you wanna race in the spring when I have my car done, I'd be more than happy to. Bring a bunch of guys down and we'll all run heads up on a .400 tree. 1/8 or 1/4, your choice. I'm sure there are some folks in here that would be down with gettin in on that. I'll even give up lane choice and do track prep myself that night. Pick a Saturday after the first Sat in April and I'll set it up.

In the mean time, take your car out to Mike's shop and pay them to work on it or something.

Squale iii
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, and if you'd learn to read, my motor is in Mike's shop... Um, sure... let's race. :rolleyes:

If you wanna race in the spring when I have my car done, I'd be more than happy to. Bring a bunch of guys down and we'll all run heads up on a .400 tree. 1/8 or 1/4, your choice. I'm sure there are some folks in here that would be down with gettin in on that. I'll even give up lane choice and do track prep myself that night. Pick a Saturday after the first Sat in April and I'll set it up.

In the mean time, take your car out to Mike's shop and pay them to work on it or something.

If I get another mustang, I'm sure Mike will be seeing alot of me ;)

NXcoupe
11-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey, Matt's a chevy guy as well! He used to race a 383 S10, and then a bbc rail that went stupid fast 1/8 mile times. Stop out and bs with him sometime.