PDA

View Full Version : Noobe needs help! Edgewater tomarrow, rear air pressure etc?

RacerX
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I haven't been to a drag strip in 20+ years. The last time was when I had a Red V8 pinto panel wagon, so it's been awhile... Is there any thing other than rear air pressure I should do/change? What pressure should I use?

The car is basically stock '90 LX, 5.0, 5 spd, King Cobra clutch, 65mm TB, fresh air intake, pulleys, X pipe, flowmasters, 3.55 gear, all. drive shaft, rear end stud girdle cover thingy, 245/45/17 Toyo street tires.

So far my prep has been to wash it and get all pop cans and burger wrappers out of the rear hatch area.

Thanks for any and all help! Dave

cobra429boss
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I was always told not to let much if any out of the street tires , about 30psi is what i would run in them.. Best thing you can do is go around the water box, back up about 5 feet dont go into the water just a good lil small burnout like dustin them off.. def make sure your front tires miss the water box when you go around it , if you go into the water with your front tires it will track the water up and as soon as you leave you will run into your water trail.. just a quick around the water box do a small burnout dust em off and have at it , leave around 1800 rpm if it bogs leave a little harder hope this helps

mustangrfast88
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
i would advance the timing to 12 degrees, you are running a street tire it looks like i would say 20psi, you can run a short belt or take the belt off, depend if you just wanting a base time you can loose some weight by removing weight, you can air your front tire up to like 45 psi for less rolling resestance,

rogers
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
My first time ever in a stick car on a strip was 4yrs ago in my 04gt. I ran the fronts at 40 and the rears at 25 on stock goodyear's 245/45 17's I was able to manage some 2.0-2.2 60's and ran 14.20's traping right at 97mph... first pass however I rolled through water did a burnout dumped the clutch at 3500 spun hard and headed towards the wall lol! Corrected and ran a low 16 pass major fail lmao! But I got it figured out and ran consistant times after that! Hope this helps.. but id say bump timing grab a short belt go around water. Quick spin to clean figure out the launch and you should see some high 13's good luck!

RacerX
11-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I would be tickled with a high 13. I'll take an air tank and mess with that if I have enough runs. I'll check the timing too. Thanks for the info!

Dave

mustangrfast88
11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
i am thinking about going down tommorow night but dont know yet didnt get car fixed today

306Power
11-06-2009, 04:46 AM
On street tires theres really no point to even doing a burnout, unless your doing it for show. Make sire you take out the spare tire and only run on about a 1/4 of a tank. Dont forget for a good R/T to drop the clutch on the second yellow. Other than that I would just find a good RPM to drop it at without spinning too much but not doggin it either.

Waffles
11-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I was always told not to let much if any out of the street tires , about 30psi is what i would run in them.. Best thing you can do is go around the water box, back up about 5 feet dont go into the water just a good lil small burnout like dustin them off.. def make sure your front tires miss the water box when you go around it , if you go into the water with your front tires it will track the water up and as soon as you leave you will run into your water trail.. just a quick around the water box do a small burnout dust em off and have at it , leave around 1800 rpm if it bogs leave a little harder hope this helps

x2 on staying out of the water on street tires. The biggest issue with street tires in the water box is that the tread will pick up water and sling it into your fender well. Then, as you sit on the starting line the water drips down onto your tires.

RacerX
11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, I had some fun. Times were slow, maybe the track was cold but no matter what I tried, burn out, no burn out, low tire preasure etc., it spun all the way through 1st gear, finaly I just putted off the line and that was a 14.90. Oh well, not real bad for a daily driver I guess. Maybe be with a good drag tire it might go that 13.99 but thats not what it was about.

Thaks for all the help!

Dave

rogers
11-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Sorry bro I shoulda mentioned to that on a street tire I try to leave like I'm wanna take off fast but not to spin the tires to johnny law isn't forewarned I'm in it! Lol! You'll get better!