PDA

View Full Version : Who is the person to turn too for building a turbo fox...

egbertnr
11-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Just like the title ask, who would be the guy to go to that knows the most and would be the most helpful setting up a turbo 302 in my 89 notch? I came from the Focus world and over there we had a couple of go to guys that had a lot of experience doing turbo builds on those cars, surely there is a good local person that can advise me on my winter project. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, i would just like to know where to go with my questions....

zlou363lx
11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
not sure about on here. over on corral there is a lot of info on this. also the turbo forums(i think). sounds like a sweet build. make a project thread when you start

1992MustangDW
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
yellowbullet.com

mustangrfast88
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
i thought 93hulk had a thread

Walter
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Just post up what issues you may have. There are a handful of poeple on here that can assist you.

Rick93coupe
11-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Are you wanting to buy a kit or have one built to your car?

egbertnr
11-11-2009, 09:43 PM
OK will do, just trying to avoid the "well I think this is the best" and would rather get the, "well I have done this or tested this and it either works or doesnt"

There isnt much as far as a build or anything for this car as its already put together I just want to go over it and while I have it apart maybe look at doing some things.

This winter I have plans to weld in a basic 6 point cage, add a suspension, and go over the motor, probably replace a head gasket if that is indeed where my coolant leak is coming from, and go over all the wiring

As far as suspension I have speced out some stuff from UPR:
Obviously a tubular k-member, QA1 adjustable shocks/struts with coilovers, adjustable upper and lower control arms, and anti roll bar.

Going back to my head gasket a friend of mine mentioned possibly "o-ringing" my block/heads, thats probably over kill bc I could just go with a good copper head gasket.

Once all this is complete this winter I want to take the car to PAE and have them tune the car on 12 and 16 pounds.

So I have my work cut out for me, the big trick is trying to figure out where to do it bc my garage isnt exactly the place for this kind of work!

But thats my problem, unless someone wants to rent me some garage space......

After that its off to the strip next spring to see where I can get the car to run, maybe shoot for the DD???

Rick93coupe
11-11-2009, 09:50 PM
You won't want to run a copper head gasket. I would recommend the felpro mls or a cometic. With a 302 I would switch over to head studs also.

egbertnr
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Good to know, maybe a bad question, I know a litttle about some things and seemingly nothing about other things, whats your thoughts behind that?

Got the head studs already, thats one of those things I wouldnt go without with a built engine....
Thanks and may thanks to all the help to come.....

Rick93coupe
11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
If your talking about the copper head gaskets, then they're not right for a street driven car. They're prone to leaking and the newer MLS gaskets pretty much do away with the need to O-ring the block and heads anymore.
Check out theturboforums.com for all the turbo information you can pack in your brain.
I would suggest starting here. http://www.theturboforums.com/knowledge.php

For an information junkie like myself, I haven't found a better place for turbo related info.

Walter
11-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Why are you set at getting tuned at PAE?

Carl
11-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I would recommend Cincy Speed or MD for tuning!

Maximus
11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
OK will do, just trying to avoid the "well I think this is the best" and would rather get the, "well I have done this or tested this and it either works or doesnt"

There isnt much as far as a build or anything for this car as its already put together I just want to go over it and while I have it apart maybe look at doing some things.

This winter I have plans to weld in a basic 6 point cage, add a suspension, and go over the motor, probably replace a head gasket if that is indeed where my coolant leak is coming from, and go over all the wiring
You should go ahead and upgrade to AT LEAST a 10 point, full cage. Your combo, on 13 psi should get you in the low 9's

As far as suspension I have speced out some stuff from UPR:
Obviously a tubular k-member, QA1 adjustable shocks/struts with coilovers, adjustable upper and lower control arms, and anti roll bar.
stay AWAY from the QA1 stuff, too many memebers (including myself) found that their struts are way overpriced. Go with Strange.

Going back to my head gasket a friend of mine mentioned possibly "o-ringing" my block/heads, thats probably over kill bc I could just go with a good copper head gasket.
Ive run that setup on the street but that was before Cometics

Once all this is complete this winter I want to take the car to PAE and have them tune the car on 12 and 16 pounds.
Thats all?? Your injectors and FAST can handle more.

So I have my work cut out for me, the big trick is trying to figure out where to do it bc my garage isnt exactly the place for this kind of work!

But thats my problem, unless someone wants to rent me some garage space......
There are some warehouses in the area that are cheap, just gotta look

After that its off to the strip next spring to see where I can get the car to run, maybe shoot for the DD???
Low 9s driving it to and back from the track

Good luck!

egbertnr
11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I have heard about the QA1 vs Strange debate, cant say I am set on PAE, just know some folks that have worked with them, I am opened to whoever I get a good feel for....I know locally there are some great shops which is different from my Focus, those were finicky cars and I took it Charlotte to have it tuned.

I would like to keep it tame, the injectors are way overkill, but i am good, Dont necessarily want to always drive to to and from, but would like to be able to take the car out for a drive and have one hell of a track car. DD-Dirty Dozen...not dailydriver

you are probably right about the cage. I was thinking the 8pt Competition Eng cages would be sufficient but want to be legal. Not sure if I willfind myself into the 9s this spring or not since I havnt done a lot of drag. The focus was all road track stuff, going to have to ease my way into this...

Maximus
11-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I have heard about the QA1 vs Strange debate, cant say I am set on PAE, just know some folks that have worked with them, I am opened to whoever I get a good feel for....I know locally there are some great shops which is different from my Focus, those were finicky cars and I took it Charlotte to have it tuned.

I would like to keep it tame, the injectors are way overkill, but i am good, Dont necessarily want to always drive to to and from, but would like to be able to take the car out for a drive and have one hell of a track car. DD-Dirty Dozen...not dailydriver

you are probably right about the cage. I was thinking the 8pt Competition Eng cages would be sufficient but want to be legal. Not sure if I willfind myself into the 9s this spring or not since I havnt done a lot of drag. The focus was all road track stuff, going to have to ease my way into this...

If your car is setup right, You will run a 9 on your third pass. You can quote me on that.

94bluestang
11-12-2009, 02:10 AM
hey if you have the cash i know a guy who might be interested in building you a car, very good at what he does.. In middletown also .. if hes makin money and you pay him well he will set you up, could do the cage build the motor and the turbo kit and after its done go to adam at cincy speed and get it tuned.. money talks

egbertnr
11-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Well I am trying to do most of the work myself, I have a good friend that has welded in a few cages before and he is on the east side of town so probably going to go that route.

I have no issues installing the suspension so no need to go elsewhere there. The car is together and runs right now has the motor built just have a leak somewhere so I figured I would pull it out and figure out where which would give me a chance to tidy some other things up.

I appreciate the heads up. Not wanting to dump a ton of cash to have someone else work on it, just where I need some help I will go where I need there.

Walter
11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Where are u at? Im in eastgate and dont mind helping if u are close.

egbertnr
11-12-2009, 01:28 PM
In eastgate as well, Right on Gleneste Withamsville.

Dirtyd0g
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Morehouse welding has a good pipe bender, if you are friendly with them they will usually treat you the same. These guys eat chopped up welding rods for cereal. When it comes to the complicated welding I haven't seen anything they couldn't do. I weld most stuff myself but when it gets difficult I go see them.
Alan

Stangman
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
These guys eat chopped up welding rods for cereal.

:lol:

that was awesome

Adam@S&MMotorsports
11-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Focus tuning is not difficult if you know what you are doing. I have tuned several of them and the guys are more than happy some are coming back for me to build turbo kits... I agree with Craig run Cometic gaskets, I have run them on many high boost turbo/blower set ups with no issues. Strange shocks are the way to go for sure. Run a PA or AJE K member. Also if you buy a cage kit buy a good one, several chassis shops offer them including wolfe race craft (which fits very well by the way). Cincy Speed is also a dealer for all of these places. If you have any questions feel free to stop down and we will show you our turbo Stang builds.