PDA

View Full Version : I "Almost" Blew Up my Uncle's Gas Station !!!

Katmandu
11-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Someone asked on another messageboard if you have ever seen or been involved in a fire at a Gas station. I couldn't resist to tell my story!!

It's too good NOT to share again! Enjoy!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
YES! Well... ALMOST!

I "almost" blew up my Uncle's Arco station when I was a kid! (1978 I was a 16yo punk)

I was working at his Full Service station one HOT summer afternoon when a BMW came in for fuel. As the BMW was fueling (with Leaded Supreme), I checked the oil and the driver said "Go ahead and add a quart."

I rammed the metal spout into the metal oil can and began to search for the BMW's oil filler hole on the engine. I found it in an akward place that just happened to be a few inches directly above the blazing HOT exhaust manifold.

Being a cocky 16 year old, I said to myself... "Shit...I don't need no stinking funnel!" (FAMOUS LAST WORDS!!)

As I began to put in the oil, about 1/2 quart poured DIRECTLY ON TO THE HOT EXHAUST manifold!! In an instant, it BURST into flames!!! The whole underneath of the car's engine was engulfed in FLAMES !! (BTW, the BMW was STILL hooked up to the Gas pump BTW!!).

I started yelling for the Old folks in the car to GET OUT AND RUN !! They sat there staring at me perplexed! I turned to run towards the station (to grab a fire extinguisher and saw my co-worker sprinting towards us with the fire extinguisher in hand!!

By the time he reached the car, the fire had gone OUT !!! Thank God !!!

We just stood and stared at each other with HUGE EYES like Holy SHIT !!

I finished cleaning up the mess and got the old folks in their BMW back on the road.

Funny thing was, my Uncle had been standing in the Station's office talking with another customer. He did NOT say (1) word to me or even acknowledge what had just happened. To this day, I have no idea if he even saw what happened OR he did and KNEW how it SCARED the SHIT out of me and he decided NOT to say anything!

I should have sent this story in to Reader's Digest !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

inferno50
11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
lucky lucky lucky.... i think i would have had to change my pants.

1_slo_92
11-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Thats nothing. Had a couple of friends that were starting a fire in the garage (in the wood stove of couse) My buddy seth was using acetone to get it going. Not working since he is being very cautious. Other friend tim says give me that its not that flammable. Next thing you know the cans on fire, he freaks starts waving it around with acetone shooting out of the tip. Seths on fire, my cars on fire, and he drops the can while a 3rd party kicked it under my car. It never made it out the door. Push the car halfway out gets jammed push back in and get it sorted out, finally get it out and the dummy kicks it again right back under the car so off we go again to get the car back in the garage to find the shelf we store all the paint and highly flammable liquids is blazing.

The bitch of it was the wood stove still wasnt lit!!!

Sorry that was so long, just seen this and thought i would share lol

95turbocharged
11-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, that was good! I have some property in morningview ky, I have a lot of big partys there and ofcorse we have fires everytime. Well a friend of mine like to use anything flammable, well this time he is using gas to start the fire, we were all drinking for about 3 hours and my buddy decides the flames arnt big enough so he grabs the gas can which is 50 ft away and starts running towards the fire and trips so I look and laugh and didn't see the top of the can and ofcorse a big line of gas hits and you know I am now on fire and 2 other people are burnt like crazy.

mustang8998
11-21-2009, 09:13 PM
If you haven't had any funny, strange, or close calls with fire......

You probably aren't a gear head! ;)

Having said that, let's hear some more! :D

sean
11-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I was about 12 and me and a buddy went and filled some tupper ware and some plastic jugs full of gas and went down to the creek for some fun. The first thing we lit and poof everything we had went up in flames. The plastic melted and the burning gas went everywhere. My buddy kicked it and caught his foot on fire and now fire was floating down the water as well. It was catching all the brush on fire as it passed by. Fortunately the fire dept that just happened to be right by the creek saw the fire and didn't see us, so we ran for it while they put out the fires. It was a fun day.

1_slo_92
11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
My brother and his friend went mudding awhile back in a old for pickup. Clogged up the fuel system. Towed it back home got it fixed and someone convienantly forgot to tighten something up. They started the truck and went cruising down 28 in leesburg, about 1/2 mile later the trucks burning up on the side of the road and instead of calling the fire dept. which is literally 1/4-1/2 mile away my brother calls my dad to bring him a bucket. Lets just say that truck passed go and went straight to the boneyard lol

sean
11-21-2009, 10:04 PM
lol haaaa ha ha a bucket. Thats freaking awsome

1_slo_92
11-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Yea a bucket. Never claimed my brother was smart lol

thecollector
11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
A friend of mine who owned a local motorcyle dealership had one of his line techs rebuild/clean the carb on his E350 460 ambulance he used for picking up and delivering customers bikes. The next morning he goes out to warm it up, it backfires thru the intake and burst into flames since the guy had left the fuel line loose:( on the supply for the carb. He holds the gas to the floor hoping to suck the flames down into the motor but just ends up dumping a few more ounces of gas onto the top of the intake. The fire dept. is called and after 13 minutes they arrive to an engulfed ambulance.

I get a phone call with a good offer. If I remove said ambulance from dealership (it doesn't inspire confidence in the customers) pull the light bar and the rims I can have the rest of the carcass.

Long story somewhat shorter I got a free 78k mile 460 and C6 for my F-100 as well as some sirens, lights and what may be the worlds strongest spot light. :tongue2: