PDA

View Full Version : Our New House finally!!!!

PONYGRL
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I just talked to Chris and we are closing next Monday on our house!! We loved the Covington/Taylor Mill area but we found an awesome house in Independence, KY....4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, finished basement, deck w/fenced in yard. It is everything we wanted and were going to build.... The 2 car garage even has like 13 ft ceilings with huge loft and room for 7 cars in the driveway.

We've been staying in Grant County KY with Chris' grandparents but we can move out next weekend more than likely into the basement of the house, while we begin remodeling.

It needs **LOTS** of work.... roof work, yard with a huuuge hole, floors, drywall, painting, etc but it's mostly cosmetic... LOTS of cosmetic stuff and the kitchen needs completely remodeled.

We are sooo excited because now we wont have to stay in Grant County for another month and we can get started!!

We already have stainless appliances picked out and I bought an antique dining room set...I can't wait!!

It's going to be a lot of work that I am not looking forward to but it will be awesome when it's finished. Most of all, we are looking forward to the mustang basement with bar, pool table and theater room.

We will have RUNNING WATER and INTERNET again finally!! And no one to complain about our toys.

Just thought I would share the good news! :rolleyes:

mustangboy
11-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Congrats!!! Where in Independence is it?

PONYGRL
11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
It's on Independence Rd... lol that is easy. It's not too far from your house if I remember. Weirdly enough we were going to buy a lot down off Bristow Rd (off Indep. Station) in a new subdivision, then we found the house we are about to close on..... MUCH better deal, although it's not brand new.

Pitbull1052
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Congrats!

sean
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
verrrry cooool CONGRATS

Roush GT
11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Congrats, did you guys get the homebuyers tax credit?

Jeff88coupe
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Congrats...independece rd. is very close to me also. Our house is in Troopers Crossing between Cody and 536.

PONYGRL
11-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Congrats, did you guys get the homebuyers tax credit?
Chris qualifies but I don't and as long as we are not married he can still get it, which makes it even better since he can get it.

Congrats...independece rd. is very close to me also. Our house is in Troopers Crossing between Cody and 536.
Sweet deal! We looked at some houses there also and were going to purchase a foreclosure but we did not close on my condo in time so we didnt have the $ in time for the auction.

67Terror
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Thats awesome Stacey!

PONYGRL
11-24-2009, 04:42 PM
There is an empty .5 acre next door that the county owns for future development so there's plenty of room for parking since there is none on the street. The neighbors park there so it will be nice for future shindigs, which we will have a few. I want to have one within the next yr and invite a bunch of sbz.

05yellowgt
11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Congrats! Katy and I just closed on our first house this past Friday and we are working on cleaning and a little touch up here and there now. Good luck on the renovations!!!

DeckerEnt
11-24-2009, 08:03 PM
I see a future party at your place. Just let us know.

Holly
11-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Congratulations! That is awesome!

R825OH
11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Cool !!Old is better than new...you know how we are!!

mean5.0
11-24-2009, 11:16 PM
congrats!

BradleyGT
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Chris qualifies but I don't and as long as we are not married he can still get it, which makes it even better since he can get it.

Congrats on the purchase. You may want to check into the tax credit. I believe they are now giving $6,500 for people that have purchased a house before.

http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/faq2.php

FireStang02
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood. I live off Independence Station and work at the firehouse on Turkeyfoot.

relaxednoma
11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Congrats! I'm not to far from Kenny over off of 536 right before 42. if you need anything hauled let me know, i have my sierra as well as access to a trailer if needed.

306Power
11-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Congrats! That's a nice little area over there.

bestracing
11-25-2009, 05:18 PM
....and the kitchen needs completely remodeled.
Cha-CHING $$$$$$ That can get expensive real quick

...And no one to complain about our toys.Hope you have good neighbors. ;)

I'm just north of you in Fowler Ridge sub. It's a really nice area through there and Congrats on your new house!!

PONYGRL
11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys. We are supposed to get the electric turned on today.... I say that at almost 5o'clock since duke still HASN'T showed up and we have been waiting since 8am. GRRRR!

R825OH
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah well get used to that they gotcha and they don't care!

cobra_SVT_Girl
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Make sure you read the fine lines of the tax credit. The $6,500 is for people who have owned for 5 years or more. Also, from what I've been told, if you have 2 people buying a house together, one person is first time, the other isn't...it may disqualify the entire purchase from being claimed. Best to talk to a tax advisor. :)

Oh and congrats :). That's a lot of fun. I redid almost everything in my current house...now this time we are just building. LOL It was a ton of fun though, and you can make things just how you want them.

PONYGRL
12-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks lady :) On the IRS site, I understand that if you are married, you will not qualify but since Chris has never owned a home, he will qualify and applies.....so as long as we are not married and he files it on his taxes.

This morning I experienced house disaster #1...the water district came and the main shutoff valve is stripped and needs replaced so as soon as the water got turned on at the street, I heard a very bad sound so I ran outside in the rain and yelled for him to turn it off. The kitchen could have potentially flooded and I had nothing to clean all the water up with, so I had to use clothes in my trunk...eww. A plumber is coming tomorrow to fix the problem, along with 2 other problems...

And I "think" we should have electric now. I turned all the breakers off this morning so Chris can double check everything first so hopefully by Friday we have fully functioning electric and water and we can get started.

We are doing hardwood on entire 1st floor and replacing carpet on 2nd floor and basement. Granite in kitchen, stainless appliances, and eventually painting the cabinets. Every single room is getting painted, as well as doors and all trim. And we got a price for the roof today from my uncle who owns a company and it's 2.5 x's the size of my mom's (she had hers replaced last wkend).....it will be 8 grand, that is with him making no money at all, just labor for the guys and material. The house is pretty much HUGE and I had NO clue it could possibly be that expensive. Ughhhhh....the fun begins.

PONYGRL
12-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Our demo-ing has begun. We have the ceilings on the whole 1st floor scraped... they were textured but Chris wants to smooth them....so scrape, mud and sand em over...then move on to 2nd floor and basement. We pulled up all the pergo flooring and are trying to pick a hardwood as well and I am going to sand and re-do the dingy crappy cabinets within the next wk and hopefully they will look custom when I am finished....but in the meantime we are playing indoor cornhole (daily) in our formal living and dining room!

One of our worst encounters so far is our banister and railing that goes upstairs... it was damaged and is a pain in the butt to fix and match and will be expensive to repair so it looks nice :(

I will post up pics (before/after) if I ever find my camera in this mess because it will look like a completely different house in 4 or 6 wks and we are already trying to finalize ideas for the Mustang basement. Bad news is we dont have 9 ft ceilings down there so SuperShots will not fit! But a bar and pool table will be coming, along with all of Chris' arcade games with a couple new ones....hopefully including Target Toss/Bags. I know we are huge dorks ;) but a shindig will be in order hopefully around my Birthday in February

mustanger
12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear you all are getting things started, I bet those ceilings are a pain to scrape but should look good when it's all said and done, and painted. Have you all decided on what your going to do with the stained trim and doors?

I still like the comment on playing cornhole in your living room :bigthumb

PONYGRL
12-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Glad to hear you all are getting things started, I bet those ceilings are a pain to scrape but should look good when it's all said and done, and painted. Have you all decided on what your going to do with the stained trim and doors?

I still like the comment on playing cornhole in your living room :bigthumb

Umm no. I like the wood but Chris claimed he hated the stained wood...but now he is thinking about keeping the base and door frames and trim stained... so who knows at this point. We haven't even picked paint colors but will be soon. I dont even care at this point.

And yeah, the house is a disaster and there is drywall dust everywhere.... it is impossible to clean it all up.

As for the indoor cornhole....you will see ;) I am about to play winner. There's not much else to do in the house since everything's crammed in the garage.

We will keep ya posted but like I said it will be about 2 wks before we are ready to get things painted :rolleyes: