PDA

View Full Version : Couple pics of the new pup.

93hulk
12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
My son and I went and seen our pup last night. He turned 3 weeks today not much longer before he is home. I cant believe how fast he is growing compared to the rest of the litter. He is the biggest in the litter by a TON. :)

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z222/93hulk/DSC02559.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z222/93hulk/DSC02560.jpg

ibstrokin
12-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I hope he doesn't fight, if he's anything like his namesake, he's going to get his butt kicked a lot, lol

Evil_Capri
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
What a great looking pup!!

Pitbull1052
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
gotta love puppies........... think he's growing fast now just wait you'll hardly remember he was this small

dawsin94cobra
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
nice! congrads!! my neighbors just picked up an all white one!! i love those dogs

Black92LX
12-09-2009, 09:22 AM
at how many weeks are you planning on bringing him home?

93hulk
12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
at how many weeks are you planning on bringing him home?

They are thinking the pups will be ready the week of Christmas. That will be 5 and a half weeks.

dsmawd350
12-09-2009, 07:51 PM
They are thinking the pups will be ready the week of Christmas. That will be 5 and a half weeks.
I know your anxious to get the pup but if you can i would keep the pup with the mom and littermates for as long as possible. The first weeks they spend with their brother and sisters and mom teaches them 85% of the social skills they grow up with.

I see you have small children, just one of the things it can help with keeping them with their siblings is going to get them used to the biting and tugging and wrestling with each other similar to a small child pulling on the pups ears or neck etc. and get them tolerant to that sort of thing

dsmawd350
12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
5 1/2 weeks is definately too early

8 weeks is the minimum age pups should leave for new homes. Puppies go through five critical periods...and it's very important that they remain with their mother and littermates until 7-1/2 to 8 weeks of age.

1. During the first 3 weeks of life puppies have next to no mental capacity and their basic needs are provided by their mother. Little or no handling by humans is required (assuming all is well with mother and puppies). But handling at this time will go a long way in development of the pups.

2. About the 4th week puppies become aware of other living beings and have very slight trainability. This is an extremely critical period and puppies should not be removed from their mother or littermates. Introduction to humans should be started--but carefully controlled.

3. Weeks 5 through 7 they begin socialization within the litter and also with humans. At this point they are capable of responding to voices and to recognize people. Training by their mother is in progress and they are becoming aware of the differences between human and canine socialization.

4. During the 8th through 12 weeks puppies are removed from littermates and mother. They require human socialization, love and security. Play with children should be well supervised. They are capable of learning simple training such as Come-Sit-Stay-No. It is important that children or other animals not injure puppy -- either accidentally or maliciously. Introduction to people is important but should be closely supervised. Gradually expose to loud noises such as autos, washing machine, vacuum, etc. Puppy Kindergarten classes during this time are very important.

5. At 13-16 weeks puppy's mental capacity is fully developed and needs experience. During this time puppy needs love, attention, socialization, discipline and security. Puppy will also try to establish itself as the dominant one. Your puppy is now capable of undergoing formal obedience training -- and can adopt a good or bad (positive or negative) attitude about training so please select your trainer with great care! Praise and reward for correct behavioral response will go a long way in training your puppy!

and the key phrase in this exerpt is what i tried to convey in my first post
It's really important for a puppy to remain with it's mother and littermates as outlined above. During this time your puppy will learn about pack heirarchy, bite inhibition and proper social behavior within the pack. Taking a puppy home before 7-1/2 to 8 weeks of age really deprives the puppy of much needed training by mom and littermates and will make your job of training much more difficult

93hulk
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I did not know that! Thanks for the info.

CNTLOSE
12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
That is good info.