PDA

View Full Version : The gunsmith and my Tec-9

DeckerEnt
12-10-2009, 10:02 PM
For those who remember at one of the farm parties, my Tec-9 broke. The pistol grip which is plastic cracked causing the slide and barrel assembly to shear off the charging handle. Went to Pete Garret today in Newport. He told me the bad news. Turns out the plastic lower is the receiver with the serial number on it. I can't just get a new one because of this. It would be like buying another pistol. So i have a bunch of parts. He said it can't be glued back due to the stress of the bolt movement.
Talked to my brother about it and we are going to try to epoxy it and put it in a vise untill the epoxy fully cures, then put it back together and hope for the best.
The best thing other than that would be to trade all my parts in on a used one. He quoted me 350 and my parts. His is a little newer. I think i will try the epoxy first. I will post a few pics when I get to the shop tonight.

Drivermod
12-10-2009, 10:27 PM
That was crazy when it broke. No way I would shoot it after being epoxied. I'll watch though:eek:.

Seriously, be careful.

evil8
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Those are farking Junk!! I had one that fired without the bolt closed all the way, enough for me to send it down the road. If you want a cheapass gangster gun that won't kill you by exploding in your face, get a HiPoint Carbine. It will fire cheap Russian ammo all day long.

87stangbbb
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Those are farking Junk!! I had one that fired without the bolt closed all the way, enough for me to send it down the road. If you want a cheapass gangster gun that won't kill you by exploding in your face, get a HiPoint Carbine. It will fire cheap Russian ammo all day long.
stuck firing pin?

Pitbull1052
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
trade it!

DeckerEnt
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Here is the crack. The bolt rides on only a small portion inside. My brother and I are going to try to epoxy the crack shut and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, it may end up at the bottom of the lake at the farm.

Pitbull1052
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
that's pretty nasty dude think I'd have to part with that one........ I bet you could find a lower somewhere at one of the shows or something

DeckerEnt
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
The lower is the serial numbered receiver. It would be like buying another pistol. I can make the epoxy thicker lower in the pistol grip for strength. This is going to be a project for January.

87stangbbb
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
it's only a 9mm right? i wonder why it broke

RIXXX93GT
12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Not worth it man.

Walter
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Smae thing happened to a friends. They are low quality. Just throw that in the drawer and build an SBR in 9mm and call it a day.

DeckerEnt
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I almost bought a 7 inch barrel for my Bushmaster at Knob Creek last year. I walked and 20 min later came back and it was gone.

Black Horse
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
JB weld......not a good idea, the epoxy will never completely bond with the material of the gun.

Pitbull1052
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Keith I was talking a gun buddy/smith of mine and he suggested using gorilla glue I know sounds bad but he stated that he's had a similar issue and that's what he used and then just painted it back black........ he didnt say how many rounds he's put through the one he did but knowing him it's a lot.......

Pops Fun
12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear that

thecollector
12-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah use the gorrilla glue. Since its a local company (Red Bank Rd) you'll be stimulating the local economy with them and then you'll be keeping the paramedics busy in Nothern Kentucky and the Inflight ICU team for UC medical center. Your family will visit restaurants in and around the Clifton area during your recovery. They will also purchase gas to get to and from the hospital for visitation hours. Its a real Lose, Win, Win, Win situation.

Sounds like its for sure worth saving the $350. :tongue2:

Epoxy it demilitarize it and make it a conversation piece for above the fireplace or part it out.

DeckerEnt
12-15-2009, 08:31 AM
This one may end up in a drawer somewhere. Oh well, learned from this one.