PDA

View Full Version : Head unit and speakers?

306Power
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Well Im looking to put in a head unit and speakers in the 88, I dont want anything crazy good or over the top just something thats better than factory. I have a few questions as I know jack squat about car steros. The car has Pyle door speakers that were in the car when I got it, is that a halfway decent brand? Also I was looking at putting in Rockford Fosgate 5X7's in the rear, would that work out fine with the Pyle's in the front? Or is one a lot better than the other and wouldnt sound right? Here's a link to the head unit and speakers I'm looking at.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16567_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P410UB.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20513_Rockford+Fosgate+T1572.html

Sorry if these are some dumb questions, but I know absolutly nothing about car steros. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

92coupe
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
That seems like a nice head unit for the money. I believe the correct size speakers for a fox in rear is 6"x8" And 6.5" in the doors.

306Power
12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
That seems like a nice head unit for the money. I believe the correct size speakers for a fox in rear is 6"x8" And 6.5" in the doors.

I thought 5X7's and 6X8's were actually the same, but I dont know for sure.

motox159
12-18-2009, 10:35 PM
92coupe is right, the 6x8 oval for the back and the 6.5 round for the doors. The Fosgates are good speakers, subs and 3 1/2's that i had in an old celica sounded really good. I usually try to stick with the same brand all the way around. I'm not an expert but hope you get it sounding good!

306Power
12-18-2009, 11:15 PM
92coupe is right, the 6x8 oval for the back and the 6.5 round for the doors. The Fosgates are good speakers, subs and 3 1/2's that i had in an old celica sounded really good. I usually try to stick with the same brand all the way around. I'm not an expert but hope you get it sounding good!

Thanks! I ordered the head unit already, just gonna piece by piece put it together. Including take out the door speakers and dash ones as well. Im not a huge fan of overpowering bass, so Ill probably just stick with one 10 inch in the hatch and a 4 way amp to power it all.

redfirepearlgt
12-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Well Im looking to put in a head unit and speakers in the 88, I dont want anything crazy good or over the top just something thats better than factory. I have a few questions as I know jack squat about car steros. The car has Pyle door speakers that were in the car when I got it, is that a halfway decent brand? Also I was looking at putting in Rockford Fosgate 5X7's in the rear, would that work out fine with the Pyle's in the front? Or is one a lot better than the other and wouldnt sound right? Here's a link to the head unit and speakers I'm looking at.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16567_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P410UB.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20513_Rockford+Fosgate+T1572.html

Sorry if these are some dumb questions, but I know absolutly nothing about car steros. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

A little advise. Go listen to the speakers before you buy them. What sounds great to one person will suck to another. IT is all with respectto what you listen to and how sensitive your hearing is as to what you will like. Giving good speaker advise over the internet is liike trying to decide what exhaust sounds the best. There is no way to know until you hear them. You may find that Pyle sounds as good to you as a 1700.00 pair of Diamond audio series speakers. Go with what you like the sound of. I madethe same mistake and bought speakers before going to listen because I read articles and got advise. One last thing. When you listen to the speakers listen to them on a comparable head unit which you will be using, AND insure that the tone settings are flat. Listen to each speaker at the same level and same tone settings, AND make sure the sales sleeze does not have rear fill speakers on when llistening to the high end units but turned off witht the low end units. THey will do that so that you DO hear (or think you hear) a difference sometimes. Good tluck.

306Power
12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
A little advise. Go listen to the speakers before you buy them. What sounds great to one person will suck to another. IT is all with respectto what you listen to and how sensitive your hearing is as to what you will like. Giving good speaker advise over the internet is liike trying to decide what exhaust sounds the best. There is no way to know until you hear them. You may find that Pyle sounds as good to you as a 1700.00 pair of Diamond audio series speakers. Go with what you like the sound of. I madethe same mistake and bought speakers before going to listen because I read articles and got advise. One last thing. When you listen to the speakers listen to them on a comparable head unit which you will be using, AND insure that the tone settings are flat. Listen to each speaker at the same level and same tone settings, AND make sure the sales sleeze does not have rear fill speakers on when llistening to the high end units but turned off witht the low end units. THey will do that so that you DO hear (or think you hear) a difference sometimes. Good tluck.

Thanks for the sound advice, I checked around listened to a few things in other cars and decided that Infinity Kappa components in the front with Infinity Kappa Coaxials in the rear will best suit my music style, plus I'm still searching for a cheaper amp and from what I understand Kappa series are still ok off head unit power because they have higher sensitivity. I got the head unit in today and was very impressed with the unit itself but not the Pyle's one bit. Should have the new speakers in next week and hopefully an amp if I can find a cheap one to just power the front components.

motox159
12-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds like someone knows a little bit about sound systems, like I said i'm no expert. Hope it all works out for you fella.

redfirepearlgt
12-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the sound advice, I checked around listened to a few things in other cars and decided that Infinity Kappa components in the front with Infinity Kappa Coaxials in the rear will best suit my music style, plus I'm still searching for a cheaper amp and from what I understand Kappa series are still ok off head unit power because they have higher sensitivity. I got the head unit in today and was very impressed with the unit itself but not the Pyle's one bit. Should have the new speakers in next week and hopefully an amp if I can find a cheap one to just power the front components.

Kappa series are a good value for the dollar speaker. They are a step above the reference series that infinity makes.

The kappa series however speakers use (or used to unless they changed) a 2 ohm impedance coil configuration. This is fine for amplifiers capable of supporting 2 ohm impedance in stereo mode (most amplifiers do), however the head unit may not be designed to operate on a 2 ohm impedance load. You will want to double check this with the mfr specification on your head unit to be sure that the head unit is capable of the lower impedance load level else you risk overheating the head unit. It's been a while since I did a audio system in a vehicle so the specs and technoligy may have passed me by. Glad to help out. Hope it was of help to you. See you in the spring.

306Power
12-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Kappa series are a good value for the dollar speaker. They are a step above the reference series that infinity makes.

The kappa series however speakers use (or used to unless they changed) a 2 ohm impedance coil configuration. This is fine for amplifiers capable of supporting 2 ohm impedance in stereo mode (most amplifiers do), however the head unit may not be designed to operate on a 2 ohm impedance load. You will want to double check this with the mfr specification on your head unit to be sure that the head unit is capable of the lower impedance load level else you risk overheating the head unit. It's been a while since I did a audio system in a vehicle so the specs and technoligy may have passed me by. Glad to help out. Hope it was of help to you. See you in the spring.

Defenitly helped me out, thanks a lot. I cant seem to find what OHM it is capable of anywhere. I looked in the owners manual and on the box and everywhere on the net and I cant find anything that says what it is capable of. I'll just have to put the 2 OHM capable amp in before using it off the head unit to be safe, thanks though knowing my luck I would have blown my head unit not knowing to even check for that.

1992MustangDW
12-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I have never once looked up that stuff. Good to know though