PDA

View Full Version : On 3 Performance turbo kits

draggin50
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Ok as I hijacked a thread based on questioning the turbo kits sold by On 3 Performance has anyone run these and what are their stories? I am actually thinkin of picking up a kit in the next week or so. Based on their website a stock Explorer motor with 65 mm tb and B cam made 488 hp and 666 lbft torque! Any feedback is greatly appreciatted.

88lxvert
12-25-2009, 10:19 PM
i would suggest calling them are u close to columbus?

draggin50
12-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah Im up by Wilmington so probably an hours drive at most. Im going to call and get more info from them. You say his names Chad? It seems like a hell of a deal when most other turbo kits are running upwards of 4 and 5000 dollars. Do you know of anyone on here that has one of the kits? Id like to get some customer type opinions also. Either way Ill call and most likely pick a kit up.

blown86lx
12-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah Im up by Wilmington so probably an hours drive at most. Im going to call and get more info from them. You say his names Chad? It seems like a hell of a deal when most other turbo kits are running upwards of 4 and 5000 dollars. Do you know of anyone on here that has one of the kits? Id like to get some customer type opinions also. Either way Ill call and most likely pick a kit up.

I have done alot of research on these kits some people think they are made of cheap parts, but I have also talked to ALOT of other people and they love them. A guy from new albany I talked to has this kit and he said that with ported e7 heads cobra intake 42lb injectors and a tune he put down like 445 hp and 530 fpt at 10* timing and a tune. He also said he runs consistent low 11's and drives it to and from the track. Stock gears and cam and 10lbs of boost. I think I am going to get one of these kits also. I have already talked to chad and he is a good guy to deal with it seems like.

draggin50
12-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Im getting one. I sold the shortblock on here and had plans of selling my car and parts to fund a new turbo project but Im finding myself wanting to keep my car and try this out. Im just curious why more people havent picked these up considering the hp that they put out compared to say a set of aftermarket aluminum heads for about the same price. Im doing it I just need to crap another couple hundred so I can get the tune also. I cant wait!

88lxvert
12-26-2009, 09:48 AM
the research i have done and people i have talked to have all spoken great about the kits they just made some changes recently hot sides are mild steal now and add a flex pipe in crossover that what i have heard changes that made them better also chad drives a 2 v with the kit on it and hammers it everyday as a daily driver it was up forsale a while back on buckeye stangs and he is on that forum alot that is where i found the kits!!

NXcoupe
12-26-2009, 11:22 AM
We are going to be installing a 2V kit, I'll start a project thread when we get the kit in. A buddy of mine is going with a kit on an npi engine to see what kind of performance gains can be had and just to test out the kits. He figures it's not that much money and he has a real good chance of it being a good kit and making decent power with it. If you guys get one be sure to post up.

draggin50
12-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Well Im gonna get one soon. Ill let everyone know when I do.

88lxvert
12-26-2009, 11:34 AM
mine should be installed in jan working on a custom kit with chad now looking to run 16 pds should be intresting

draggin50
12-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Hopefully mine will be on sometime around then also.Still looking to sell a few moe things to get the rest of the cash. Will keep updating. Mike are you doing tuning for these?

NXcoupe
12-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Yep, sure are, that's one of the big reasons we are getting one for my buddy's car. We've tuned two kits so far and they are impressive to say the least. Especially when you factor bang for the buck. we can load the engine and get full boost to get the tune where it should be.

draggin50
12-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Well once I get mine and get it on Ill call and set something up. I can wait. A kit like this is right up my alley as far as bang for the buck. I hope youll be hearing from me soon!!

NXcoupe
12-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Me too, hope we're starting soon too. I think it will be a fun bab for sure. Make sure to start a build thread and post up pics and any modifying you had to do.

draggin50
12-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I will do that. Hope it goes as planned!

blown86lx
12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I am getting one for sure as soon as I sell my damn dirtbike.So it might be spring cause as most everyone knows now isn't the time to sell a dirtbike. My question is do you have to have a sct chip or any kind of chip installed to get it tuned or could you just hack into the stock ecu? And do you need a AFPR or not?

zlou363lx
12-28-2009, 02:00 PM
there are discussions about the on3 kits on corral in the turbo section, and as far as i have read the people that have them like them and say that the service is great. when i get another mustang i think i will be doing this to it.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I have had hands on experience with the ON3 stuff and its nice. The manifolds paint flakes off but that is to be expected with that cheap coating but everything fits nicely and lines up. I would suggest the MP70 upgrade( good turbo for the money) and maybe getting a TIAL wastegate ( I mean the one in the kit is good but its still chinese made and I would be afraid it would allow creep or spike) as a precaution. If i wasnt tight on cash i would swap out my Powerdyne for one of Chads kits

draggin50
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for your input. I am getting one and I think Ill do the upgrade to the MP70 also. A couple of weeks and hopefully Ill have the rest of the cash. Ill post up pictures and stuff as I go along with the install as well so everyone can see how well it goes on. Thanks

NXcoupe
12-30-2009, 03:03 AM
I am getting one for sure as soon as I sell my damn dirtbike.So it might be spring cause as most everyone knows now isn't the time to sell a dirtbike. My question is do you have to have a sct chip or any kind of chip installed to get it tuned or could you just hack into the stock ecu? And do you need a AFPR or not?

A tune yes, to be safe. You can use an MSD boost retard and play with fuel pressure, but that's not the best way to do it, end up spending more in the end than if you just got a good chip and a tune. Hope this helps.

blown86lx
12-30-2009, 03:55 AM
It does thank you. Now the question is who does a good turbo tune? If anyone on here does it will you pm me a price.

draggin50
12-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I going to have DP tune mine once I get it and put it on. I have a few more parts to sell then Im on my way to pick it up. Cant wait!

bbfstanger
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
i talked to chad/on3 yesterday and they dont even make theyre own stuff.
i asked about some headers, diff size pri.,diff flanges and he said he just does the designs there.
i was kinda disappointed,was hoping for a local company to do biz with.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
i talked to chad/on3 yesterday and they dont even make theyre own stuff.
i asked about some headers, diff size pri.,diff flanges and he said he just does the designs there.
i was kinda disappointed,was hoping for a local company to do biz with.

Thats why they are cheaper, just like every other company on the planet. I cant say I agree with it but the kits are cheaper than most and they work well

draggin50
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Did he say what size of primary tubes? For the price I cant complain. Im sure there are going to be a few things that I dont really care for as far as where they are made and so on but on my shoestring budget this is the best I can do.

bbfstanger
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
they sell 1 5/8 pri ,i need 1 3/4 atleast.

NXcoupe
12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
John, get in my turbo builder thread in the power adder section and there are a couple guys in that thread, one is the guy that did the kit for the pinks car, he's near Franklin somewhere, I think. Get with Kelly on here, he can get you linked up with him, he can fab headers up that look and work perfectly.

HawksWR37
12-31-2009, 07:24 PM
About how much would dp charge to install this kit or could i handle it in my garage?

Racin Jason
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
you can handle it/

draggin50
01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Seems this is becoming a popular kit.

winner70ta
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Went reading this thread as I am looking at a real clean '94 again. But DOH they don't look like they have a setup for these! :eek:

draggin50
01-31-2010, 12:09 AM
That sucks. Is there any way to modify to fit the 94/95 cars?

306Power
01-31-2010, 12:36 AM
After reading this thread I checked out their website and looked at things around the web about them. I must say I'm pretty impressed with thier bang for buck turbo kits. When I do plan on going FI I think they will get my business.

Gearhead559
01-31-2010, 06:25 PM
done a few kits of theres now...not bad stuff.

i have one going on a vert car here at the shop now

draggin50
01-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Can you take some pics and let us know how the fit was and if there was any problems you encountered.

Gearhead559
02-01-2010, 12:21 AM
im doing a build thread on it on my site. i have a few customers running around with the kits as well.

cause from my opinion, i pull the motor, reseal the whole thing with mls gaskets, head studs, and weld a bung in the old pan, and upgrade the oil pump & shaft while im there.(on the 5.0 ones..the 4.6 cars you can leave the motor in and drop the k member and swap it out any way) cause its easy to deal with the manifold with the turbo side out of the car, and just drop it all in at once with both headers on it and even the turbo.

i have a few pics of one of the guys cars that installed his own kit in the car. but he did gaskets and studs while it was down.

so far the only fit issues most have had was with the front cold side plumbing...cause not all these cars are the same up front ...(or course some think so, but its not the case)

this is one of the first kits btw, that was stainless..they have switched to mild steel on the hot side, cause thats what every one'd seemed to want out of the kits

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/100_4078.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/100_4081.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/Shop%20stuff/100_4082.jpg
his build thread can be found on buckeye stangs http://www.buckeyestangs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19126&highlight=Big+rams
i find it helpful to use the 5/16 headed(iirc), extra long bbc header bolts in arp..the head is 12 point and smaller and easyer to work with. but thats just me tho..lol

Gearhead559
02-01-2010, 12:29 AM
btw, we are going to push the limits with this vert we are doing up at the moment

http://gearheadzautomotive.myfastforum.org/about65.html

draggin50
02-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Thanks for that. Hopefully shed some light as far as what to look for. Now do you do the tuning as well?

Gearhead559
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
yes i do. i have every thing done on a loading mustang dyno awd extended wheel base model. also have access for a dynojet aswell, but i prefer the loading.

been trying to work up pricing on the on 3 kits installed (with options) tuned out the door, just havent got around to it yet. makes sense since im not every far from on3, and chads been taking care of any issues i have had with his parts.

draggin50
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah youll have to let us know what kind of pricing we are looking at on out the door install. Im sure there are other people as well that would be interested from the looks of it.

Gearhead559
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
well what im working on now is R&R engine , install turbo kit,bung oil pan, new pump and pickup/shaft,(option to upgrade oil pan) head gaskets and arp studs, fuel pump, injectors , install catch can..b etc etc... and have upgrades on that including mls head gaskets= $xxx, upr k member and coil over kit with install, ploy mounts. and so on.

this would be based on a mainly stock 5.0 cars, and rather similar package i have together for 4.6 cars.

still need to look over the 05 he has running around with the first kit on it that out right now.

draggin50
02-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Sounds good. Im sure it would be on a car to car basis due to what all is done to it already. My car already has the k member and fuel system so thats something I wouldnt need.

Gearhead559
02-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Sounds good. Im sure it would be on a car to car basis due to what all is done to it already. My car already has the k member and fuel system so thats something I wouldnt need.

thats what im saying..every car is different, but most of it i have down to a science unless i have a customer that doesnt know what he has. but the 5.0 kits, dont need to have a k member setup, like the mod cars have to, thats why i would still want to offer it as a option. and when using say a upr kit with the on 3 kit, have have to order the hellions k member in order for the control arm cross brace to be lower and clear on3's kit too..lol

but also have to know the limits of what your working with aswell, and high mileage car, can go bad on the dyno rather faster when pushing it past the limits. like the cobra the on3 guys blew up...i knew over 500 at the wheels it was going to go to shit. out at the track, bang goes a rod thru a teksid block..lol but the 2v cars...keep them under 450 at the wheels. and so on..

NXcoupe
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
About how much would dp charge to install this kit or could i handle it in my garage?

What year is your car? Anything can be done in your garage, my business was started out of the garage behind my house. It was really well equipped, but still on my back and using floor jacks. Now I have 4 lifts and a dyno, so it makes it a lot easier to do stuff. Tell me the year and I can get you an installed/tuned price.
We have a loading dynojet dyno in house and use sct chips and programmers.

blown86lx
03-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Finally got my on3 kit this past weekend looks like its pretty straight forward. I would say if you are a little mechanicly inclined and have tools you could do it. Hell it even comes with instructions.Can't wait to get my garage built so I can start working on the pile. Anyone have any 42s and a blow through meter they wanna get rid of?

Gearhead559
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Finally got my on3 kit this past weekend looks like its pretty straight forward. I would say if you are a little mechanicly inclined and have tools you could do it. Hell it even comes with instructions.Can't wait to get my garage built so I can start working on the pile. Anyone have any 42s and a blow through meter they wanna get rid of?

should have just ordered that stuff thru on 3. hard to beat the pricing on the new maf and injectors he has

blown86lx
03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
I didnt even check with him guess I should have maybe he would have cut me a deal with the kit. He already cut me a pretty sweet deal so I dont have the heart to ask him for another :lol:

Gearhead559
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I didnt even check with him guess I should have maybe he would have cut me a deal with the kit. He already cut me a pretty sweet deal so I dont have the heart to ask him for another :lol:

injectors are 300, maf is 200...

plated
03-03-2010, 09:03 PM
just build one your self i did mine for $1,200 heres how it worked stock shortblock http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3323361270968859341&hl=en&emb=1 i also build kit's lmk

Ryan218
03-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok as I hijacked a thread based on questioning the turbo kits sold by On 3 Performance has anyone run these and what are their stories? I am actually thinkin of picking up a kit in the next week or so. Based on their website a stock Explorer motor with 65 mm tb and B cam made 488 hp and 666 lbft torque! Any feedback is greatly appreciatted.

there kits produce outragous numbers. they have a few different options for the turbo spec. i was there when that dyno pull was made at dynotune motorsports. shocked the hell out of all of us. and i lost 20 bucks on the bet! :(

chad a good guy to deal with. look on youtube under on3performance and you will find some videos of cars his has used as mock ups to make the kits and customer cars. great kits. well worth the money.

Kevin1989
03-08-2010, 12:43 AM
im still debating these kits, i havent heard any bad things about them, but i want something i can bolt on, get a tune and be done with it.

Gearhead559
03-08-2010, 03:29 AM
im still debating these kits, i havent heard any bad things about them, but i want something i can bolt on, get a tune and be done with it.

there are a few thing needed to finish a complete kit...like the maf flange needs welded on and so on..but thats about it. other wise it bolts right on, change injectors, and the pump and go. but i for sure recommend stud and good head gaskets before going over 8-10 psi...the torque curve of these kits are crazy.

Kevin1989
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
there are a few thing needed to finish a complete kit...like the maf flange needs welded on and so on..but thats about it. other wise it bolts right on, change injectors, and the pump and go. but i for sure recommend stud and good head gaskets before going over 8-10 psi...the torque curve of these kits are crazy.

do you work with them alot? because i have lots of questions and shit about them before i think i about buying

blown86lx
03-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Got a set of 42's from Paul was just wondering if anyone had a blow through MAF the wanna part with that would work with 42's?

NXcoupe
03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Last time I checked, we had a protube for 42's at the shop. I would have to check with them today for ya.

Blackout
03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a on-3 kit on my 2002 Stang. Pretty good kit for the money. I wish they used a different style coupler other than v-band. The v-bands are junk in my opinion. I am looking to change it eventually for easier assembly and disassembly without having sealing problems.

But yes they are decent kits for the money.

blown86lx
03-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Last time I checked, we had a protube for 42's at the shop. I would have to check with them today for ya.

Alright if you do Pm me a price. Thanks for the help!

Gearhead559
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
do you work with them alot? because i have lots of questions and shit about them before i think i about buying

yes i do... i did most of the fab work for the sn95 kits coming out, and helped with some of the stuff for the updated 5.0 kits..the only kit i dont know much about is the new 3v kits that are out. and currently going to be reworking the mod motor kits. and also i'll be starting on the ls1 f body kits here shortly

hell on 3 sells all the components you need to finish the kit off, for a 5.0 car.

HawksWR37
03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
What year is your car? Anything can be done in your garage, my business was started out of the garage behind my house. It was really well equipped, but still on my back and using floor jacks. Now I have 4 lifts and a dyno, so it makes it a lot easier to do stuff. Tell me the year and I can get you an installed/tuned price.
We have a loading dynojet dyno in house and use sct chips and programmers.

Sorry, i havent been on here in a bit but i have an 04 GT i ended tearing into it myself but i do need a quote for tuning.