PDA

View Full Version : what makes a torpedo heater run rich?

plated
01-03-2010, 08:11 AM
i have a torpedo heater i use when it's this cold out for back up,but recently it has been running veeeery rich is ther some mantience i can do or is there something that goes out on them? any info i'd appreciate

bobtsgt
01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
thats a pretty good question. I've had my Dayton one for about 10 years now and have never done any maintenance to it. do you see the fumes coming out the end or does it smell real rich? have you tried looking it up based on model number?

Dipstick
01-03-2010, 11:05 AM
running rich is caused by mainly a clogged fuel nozzle. Most of the time you can take it out and clean the soot off of it an put it back in and it will be fine!

92coupe
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Other than changing the filter on them once in a while, Just blow out the burner with some air. And check the fuel nozzle.

Chris Lazzo
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
How old is it ? You may need a new nozzle, or the foam air cleaner could be dirty, or there should be a air adjustment on the back if so play with it.

Sounds like it's starving for air.

Also you should only use kerosene in it burns alot cleaner.

Chris

plated
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
How old is it ? You may need a new nozzle, or the foam air cleaner could be dirty, or there should be a air adjustment on the back if so play with it.

Sounds like it's starving for air.

Also you should only use kerosene in it burns alot cleaner.

Chris

not sure what happend but i backed it out a turn or so and cleaned right up,it was awful.thanks :bigthumbi'll take it out and blow it out real good to

Chris Lazzo
01-03-2010, 12:10 PM
not sure what happend but i backed it out a turn or so and cleaned right up,it was awful.thanks :bigthumbi'll take it out and blow it out real good to

Good.......The right air mixture makes the fire burn just right :)

Chris

Walter
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Turbo it.

This will warm you up. A bit loud tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gJFW1mih9E

bobtsgt
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Turbo it.

This will warm you up. A bit loud tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gJFW1mih9E

holy hell! that would probably do the job