PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill Machine Co. AR-15

RIXXX93GT
01-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Looking at a YHM-8100 model 5.56 rifle, anyone have any first hand knowledge of this company and this models reputation?
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product421.html

SCHMUCKINGHAM
01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I have seen some YHM stuff and it looks good but I have never shot one of their rifles. I would suggest any of the M&P rifles, also the DTI units. I would stay away from DPMS but thats personal preference, I have a few of them come to me with bad extractor springs after a few 100 rounds

Walter
01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
At 1300 its severely overpriced. Just do some research and build one to your specs.

RIXXX93GT
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Im looking at one for 1100, which to me didnt seem too hateful.

DeckerEnt
01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a Bushmaster and would put it up against anything out there. I have run thousands of rounds through it, brass case, steel case, tracers, ball, armor peircing. No problems what so ever. Then again, i clean mine after every day of shooting.
Building one is easy too. The lowers are coming down in price finally too. Shooters has one for less than 200 last time I was in there.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
01-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a Bushmaster and would put it up against anything out there. I have run thousands of rounds through it, brass case, steel case, tracers, ball, armor peircing. No problems what so ever. Then again, i clean mine after every day of shooting.
Building one is easy too. The lowers are coming down in price finally too. Shooters has one for less than 200 last time I was in there.

Bushmasters have gotten better over time, they are growing on me. What happens even with the high dollar Noveske's is tards buy them and dont ever clean them and then shoot cheap Wolf steel through it and then wonder why they fail. I mean the Stoner imingment system isnt the best out there but it works if properly maintained, and dont even get me started on the gas piston systems ( at least in the AR/M16 platform)

Walter
01-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Im looking at one for 1100, which to me didnt seem too hateful.

Even 1100 is too much for that imo.

plattner01
01-08-2010, 12:46 AM
i got one of these a few months back and mated it with a spikes lower:eek::bigthumb ,i have only put about 300 rounds:eek::eek: thru it so far, i keep shooting my sw mp15and 22 rifle more. ok the 22 more :rolleyes:cause of ammo cost lately, and a few rounds with my sig p226.
ok back to the yankee hill barrel its ok looks nice and not too heavy. i really have nothing bad to say about it so far..

this is the barrel below
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product460.html

plattner01
01-08-2010, 12:57 AM
also love the yankee hill take down pins and charging handle. :bigthumb

http://www.yhm.net/store/misc.html

Black92LX
01-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Bushmasters have gotten better over time, they are growing on me. What happens even with the high dollar Noveske's is tards buy them and dont ever clean them and then shoot cheap Wolf steel through it and then wonder why they fail. I mean the Stoner imingment system isnt the best out there but it works if properly maintained, and dont even get me started on the gas piston systems ( at least in the AR/M16 platform)

I would go to guess his Bushmaster is older.
Bushy's quality control has gone WAY down hill from when it started. I would hardly be willing to take a free Bushmaster right now. I went through a 40 hour rifle school where I ran a Rock River so did another guy a third had a Sabre Defense then about 20 Bushmasters almost all of which had some problems of different sorts yet all three of ours ran flawlessly. (now all those did come from the same production lot) But still that number of problems really turned me off to Bushmaster.

I have heard decent things about Yankee Hill yet have no personal experience with them. for the details listed on that rifle $1100 is high.

You can easily get a Doublestar amongst others with those features for less.

ARs are like anything lots of personal opinions. Most of the parts all come from the same places.
The individual companies usually only mill the lowers and a few other parts but get everything else from another supplier.

My list of AR's preference goes.

LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool)
Rock River Arms
Double Star
Sabre Defense

I own a Rock River and find them to be of the best quality. Lewis Machine and Tool ranks higher because their company is awesome. Great folks spent some time with their higher ups a few years ago and really liked what they were doing with the company.
Double Star is local hear in KY and just a great company putting out an excellent product at an excellent price.
Sabre Defense makes a nice gun, only experience I had was during the rifle school I went through but the thing ran flawlessly.

Double Star is about the best deal going.
$659 shipped from Buds
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411537957
That leaves you about $400 to play with over the Yankee. Granted the two aren't equal in their current states but with the Double Star you'll come out with more after you add what you want.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
01-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I would go to guess his Bushmaster is older.
Bushy's quality control has gone WAY down hill from when it started. I would hardly be willing to take a free Bushmaster right now. I went through a 40 hour rifle school where I ran a Rock River so did another guy a third had a Sabre Defense then about 20 Bushmasters almost all of which had some problems of different sorts yet all three of ours ran flawlessly. (now all those did come from the same production lot) But still that number of problems really turned me off to Bushmaster.

I have heard decent things about Yankee Hill yet have no personal experience with them. for the details listed on that rifle $1100 is high.

You can easily get a Doublestar amongst others with those features for less.

ARs are like anything lots of personal opinions. Most of the parts all come from the same places.
The individual companies usually only mill the lowers and a few other parts but get everything else from another supplier.

My list of AR's preference goes.

LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool)
Rock River Arms
Double Star
Sabre Defense

I own a Rock River and find them to be of the best quality. Lewis Machine and Tool ranks higher because their company is awesome. Great folks spent some time with their higher ups a few years ago and really liked what they were doing with the company.
Double Star is local hear in KY and just a great company putting out an excellent product at an excellent price.
Sabre Defense makes a nice gun, only experience I had was during the rifle school I went through but the thing ran flawlessly.

Double Star is about the best deal going.
$659 shipped from Buds
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_753/products_id/411537957
That leaves you about $400 to play with over the Yankee. Granted the two aren't equal in their current states but with the Double Star you'll come out with more after you add what you want.

Most of my IDPA competetitions you see guys with high dollar rifles like Noveskes and Wilson Combat, and I am still running my modified M&P or my custom built AR and having NO issues keeping up. The custom AR actually has a doublestar lower parts kit and has worked great so far but I have only put 200 rounds through it and then stripped it to clean ( laziness owns me), I agree though that the Doublestar or DTI are some good deals right now.

DeckerEnt
01-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Yes my Bushmaster is older. Got it before the flat top was the thing to get so mine has the carry handle. Really wish now that i ordered it with a flat top and colapsable front sight. Oh well, next one!

Black92LX
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes my Bushmaster is older. Got it before the flat top was the thing to get so mine has the carry handle. Really wish now that i ordered it with a flat top and colapsable front sight. Oh well, next one!

I figured as much Bushmaster used to be at the top of the AR game but as of recent past 2 years their quality controls has dropped them to far below what most companies are putting out.
I am not sure what brought about this change.
Sig is the same way granted they don't make an AR (though there are rumors floating and I guess we will find out in a couple weeks after SHOT SHOW).
Their quality sucks right now and you couldn't get me to buy a new Sig at even half the asking price with their current state of affairs.
But they also went through a lot of changes there and got rid of a lot of good people that made the company what it is here in the states.

cstreu1026
01-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm not really sure how they rank but for the price these look pretty attractive as well.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/DEL-TON_DTI-4_.223_5.56_Rifle.html

ADaughen
01-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I have the YHM QD flash hider for the 5.56 can. Dad has the can and two more hiders.

Their stuff seems pretty durable. If you are ordering a can, they might advertise it as "in-stock" but it might be a few weeks before they can even get you a serial number so you can complete your forms.

$1100 is steep for a base model. BUT what you are looking at isn't base. The skeletonized handguard, flat top upper, and BUIS all add up. If those are the parts you want, it is a pretty good deal.

ADaughen
01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Sorry, I was in a hurry to get to work.

Example of how crap adds up:
I have a stripped lower ($120), that I want to add: Magpul MIAD grip $50, Magpul CTR stock $150, 5.7 upper $650, and BUIS $200. Then comes the magazines, single point sling attachment, tax stamp for the SBR and another YHM QD flash hider for the 5.57 can.

If YHM offers everything you want for the same price, I say you are good to go. My DPMS Sportical was $650, plus $100 for ACOG mount, plus $400 for used ACOG TA01, plus $20 Magpul single point.

If you are looking at spending a little coin, you might also look at LaRue Tactical www.larue.com for their Stealth upper and lowers. Mark LaRue is a good guy. He cares about the troops, sends his customers gifts and Christmas cards and his parts are usually in-stock.

RIXXX93GT
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Well this is all good info guys, as you said for the items actually on that YHM I am looking at it seemed a very fair price, you can buy completely stripped down ar's for 700-800 bucks all day. I have never bought a gun over the internet through an FFL and wouldnt know how to begin to do so or what the service would cost. You guys that have experience in that area can fill me in if you like. I know Doublestar in Winchester makes allot of AR parts and complete guns as well. Just trying to get the best bang for the buck, dont want junk dont need a top of the line either. Must have 16" barrell, flat top, quad rail, flip up sights, expandable stock.

Black92LX
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
As for ordering off the internet it's quite simple.

Find the local FFL with the cheapest transfer fee. (down here it is $10)
and tell you you want to have a gun shipped there, their FFL may be on file with whoever you are buying it from online.

When the online dealer gets the FFL copy and your money they will ship to your local FFL. Your FFL will call you telling it as arrived you come in and fill out the proper paper work and head home.

Here is an easy way to find all the local FFLs
http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Sounds complicated but it's simple.

ADaughen
01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Ohio Rapid Fire in Troy used to be good for transfers. They had a contact with YHM. They closed their storefront though.

Vandalia Range and Armory might help (behind Airport Toyota). I have never used them.

Old English is usually $25 for transfers.

You get a copy of your local FFL's transfer form. Fill out whatever you need on your part and mail/fax it to YHM, LaRue, Joe's Gun Shop, etc along with your $1100. They ship the rifle to the FFL you selected, your FFL calls and lets you know it is in, you go in, pick it up and pay for the transfer fee.

Courtesy usually dictates you buy some ammo, a magazine or holster from the local guy so he has a reason to stay open. Especially if he has ARs in stock.

For places like AIM with phone/internet orders. You call, let them know you are sending a form. Fax form. Then call back and make your order after they have the FFL in hand.

Let us know if you need a hand. We'll get you through it. http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/images/smilies/biggthumpup.gif

Black92LX
01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Whichever route you go with you will highly enjoy your AR.
I love mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/Guns/IMG_5856-1.jpg

RIXXX93GT
01-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks again, stopped at lunch in Old English they had some really nice rifles. Rock River seemed lik ethe best deal with the features I wanted, although the new piston style ruger was awful sweet. I think the wilson and Lewis brands looked top notch but pretty pricey.

facemelter71
01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Built My AR-15 from the ground up.Bought it all from gun shows around town.And one in Indy I had gone to a big gun show too pick up my barrel.
I had never even messed with an AR-15 before this.And they are pretty easy to assemble.I completly built this thing.And it shoots like a dream.

Rock River Arms lower reciever.
DPMS Lower stainless Steel parts kit.
Rock River Arms Extended Charging handle
Rock River Arms Bolt and firing pin.
Tapco 6 postion stock and butt pad
M1S 16" flat top Fluted bull barrel with removable flash suppressor.1-9 twist.

I also just got into reloading my own .223 ammo.Ive got a pretty slick setup so far.

RIXXX93GT
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
So realistically what did you save by building it yourself?

facemelter71
01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I believe I have around 850 in my AR.Built how How I want it built.Using High quality parts.All except for the red dot sight.Which is my buddies.Ill be putting another scope on it tonight.
I didnt scimp on some things.Like the extended charge handle.And the winter trigger gaurd to fit your gloved finger in their.
Ill also be replacing the front fore grip to a quad rail of some type.Just havent figured out which one.3 months ago I never even messed with one of these.
Gimme a sec for pics.I have to resize the hell out of them.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/ar15-2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/ar15-3.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/ar15-5.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/ar15-6.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/ar15-7.jpg

RIXXX93GT
01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
I have been pricing pieces on the internet and for the life of me if I could put a gun together like the YHM I dont see that I would save anything. Of course you have the satisfaction of having built it yourself.

facemelter71
01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
It honestly is pretty easy.Couple punches screw drivers and some pliers.Should get you going.
Ive never heard of the company your talking about.
Bushmaster,Rock River Arms,DPMS,Stag arms,CMMG,and tons of others ive heard of.I would stick with brand name's if you could.1300 sounds kinda steep for that YHM.Shit a Bushmaster can be had for about 1400 new.

Walter
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
^^^ You can get a bushmaster for 800. Just depends on what its equipped with.

OP, there are too many opinions on what you should do. If you have the $$$ and see what u want, buy it.

ADaughen
01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
It honestly is pretty easy.Couple punches screw drivers and some pliers.Should get you going.

Yep. There are a couple small springs you have to be careful about when taking off the grip and buffer tube, but basic upper swaps are a piece of cake.

I have a copy of an armorers CD if you want a copy for yourself, and an AR Spanner to disassemble flash suppressors, barrel nuts and buffer tube crowns.

Ive never heard of the company your talking about.

They have been making billet AR parts and suppressors for a while. A few years ago they got into building full rifles. They're a smaller mom and pop shop that still makes their stuff in the States.

Their suppressors are pretty good. I haven't been able to test them side by side with the big boys, but spec wise they are comparable.

My only complaint was customer service was a little slow.

facemelter71
01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Ive been looking for some different suppressors.I might take a peek at them.

ADaughen
01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Ive been looking for some different suppressors.I might take a peek at them.

If you want to take the YHM 5.56 stainless QD for a spin, let me know. ;) Recently, we've been running it on a Walther P22 with high velocity rounds (I keep forgetting to bring the sub sonics) and it sounds like a pneumatic nailer. :D