PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jack Phone Service

Black92LX
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
www.magicjack.com
That's right that little thing you see on the TV with the silly commercials. Just plug into your computer and plugin a phone and you are good to go.

I will start of by saying I am undoubtably one of the cheapest people on the face of the planet, when it comes to most things.

I haven't had a home phone in 4 years, because I have had a cellphone and did not feel like paying for something I did not need.

I hate giving my cell phone to companies I do business with, like my insurance, banks ect. But that was never a reason to spend $25+ on a home phone.
Then there is the 911 issues that arise with cellphone emergency calls and how bad they can suck in figuring out where the problem is actually occurring.

Well magic jack was reviewed in last months consumer reports as actually working very well.

So I figured I would give it a shot.
So I went to best buy and paid $40 for the magic jack. That includes the device and 1 year of phone service.

I also went to Sam's and got a 3 pack of cordless phones for $40 (could return if I was not happy with Magic jack)
I am in it for $80 including phones that would be 3 months of unlimited phone service from my cable company and I still would have to buy the actual phones.

Well let me tell you, this little thing is AWESOME! Sound quality is no different than any other land line I have used (granted this may vary on your internet connection).
Setup was simple plugged the device into my USB port and plugged in a regular telephone and it walked me through the steps of choosing a phone number, then setting up my info for 911.

Each year from now on is $20, so I have unlimited local and long distance calling for $1.70 a month.
You have voicemail, and call waiting. I found this pretty neat, if you get a voicemail it sends you an e-mail with an attached wave file of the message. So in my case, when I am not home, I have an iPhone so I just open the wave file and don't need to call to get my messages or waste my cell phone minutes.
To check your messages you just call your phone number hit * then enter your password and you are in your mailbox.
Another neat thing is on call waiting, it plays music for the person on hold.

The potential problems one can forsee:

Your computer must be on to make or receive calls, if your computer is off it goes straight to voicemail.
In my case this is not a big deal as if I am home the computer is on.

You also must have an internet connection. Fortunately I have been here for 1.5 years and my internet has only gone out once and that's because the Bobcat operator ripped out the cable line to the house when he was digging for my patio.
But the cable company was here within the hour to fix it.

But again I still have a cellphone (better than nothing).

So really for $1.70 a month this little thing cannot be beat. I don't use it much but it's nice to know it's there.

So if you don't have a home phone for the reasons like me rarely use it and don't fell like spending the money. I don't think you can go wrong with the magic jack.

84stang
01-15-2010, 02:28 PM
I have one for a second line and it works great!!

RIXXX93GT
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
I have had one for three years, problem is I never remember to give that number out so I have never received a phone call on it.

Pitbull1052
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
they just came out with one for the cell phone too, basically it acts like a mini cell tower but you still plug it into your puter........ and you can make and receive calls on your celly without using min. I work for the phone company and we have cell service too I think the telco's are trying to battle this one, it won't do any good as you can't stop someone from having a mini cell tower in their residence

Black92LX
01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
they just came out with one for the cell phone too, basically it acts like a mini cell tower but you still plug it into your puter........ and you can make and receive calls on your celly without using min. I work for the phone company and we have cell service too I think the telco's are trying to battle this one, it won't do any good as you can't stop someone from having a mini cell tower in their residence

i was reading about that when I was researching the magic jack.

Cell companies are pissed but it looks like it's all legit as long as it's kept in the home.

Pitbull1052
01-15-2010, 03:45 PM
yup it was the buzz around here for about a week I guess...... I think it's a slick idea

bascom123
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
i've had one for over a year, it works well, but needs rebooted from time to time. I find it better now, but initially it worked like crap with Vista. Worked much better with XP.

Dirtyd0g
01-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I'mm still waiting for them to have the ability to use my existing phone number. It has to be better than vonage. I got screwed by vonage bad. Apparently they have a you can never cancel policy. They just transfer you from person to person and everyone try's to talk you out of it, nobody actually does the cancellation.
Alan

TZ250
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Black92LX, you wrote a nice review. I bought Magic Jack for the same reasons; I wanted to give up my home phone, but then I'd have to give my cell number to some companies (online purchases). Magic Jack fixed all of that. I tell people that Magic Jack is 95% as good, for 5% of the cost.

I can't believe that Time Warner Cable charges $40/month for the same service! I should have used Magic Jack a few years ago.

Lot's of people are switching over. I read a couple of weeks ago that Magic Jack now has over 5,000,000 subscribers.

chadomac
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Lot's of people are switching over. I read a couple of weeks ago that Magic Jack now has over 5,000,000 subscribers.

You know what that means... time for a price increase. i was wondering about this the other day thanks for the review

Gearhead559
01-16-2010, 12:01 PM
i have 2 running extra lines in my shop..works great

djom1cincy
01-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I've thought about getting one before. You guys just sold me on it. Will pick one up next time I'm out shopping.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm betting the cell companies either find a way to beat this in court or they jump on board with their own versions of it.

2007ShelbyCobra
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
so can you have more than one phone in the house? or only the one connected with the computer?

Rick93coupe
01-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Interesting, what do they call that service, I'd like to read about it.

BigBadStang
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
They work great as long as you have a good high speed connection. If you have a so-so connection, and you try to surf and talk, the sound quality suffers. The way this type of thing will get expensive is when our wonderful government bows down to the communications company's lobbyists and allows them to start charging/taxing for bandwidth usage.

Gearhead559
01-17-2010, 12:39 AM
so can you have more than one phone in the house? or only the one connected with the computer?

pc has to be on to get calls. i pluged one into a jack to have the phones working into other rooms

2007ShelbyCobra
01-17-2010, 01:14 AM
o, duh.... :)

FireStang02
01-17-2010, 04:58 AM
I felt the same way about a home phone and finally bought the magic jack last month too. The only problem I have found at all is that when you set it up, there are not enough local calling areas to choose from. The problem was that when I put in 859 as my area code, the only options were Richmond, and 2 others that I dont remember, but they were all way south in the 859 area code. All extensions were long distance from NKY. So if I used an 859 number, everyone would have to dial like it was long distance to call and I would have to do the same for them. Very confusing for a lot of people if I dont explain it to them. The only way to make it work for someone in NKY is too use 513, since their were lots of options there and everyone already knows to dial the 10 numbers. So I live in Independence and have a 513 number. So far, that is the only downfall. It works awesome and is cheap.

Katmandu
01-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Great review! :bigthumb

I'm going to check ou that mini cell tower thing.

Katmandu
01-17-2010, 10:34 AM
they just came out with one for the cell phone too, basically it acts like a mini cell tower but you still plug it into your puter........ and you can make and receive calls on your celly without using min.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/magicjacks-making-cell-phone-fees-disappear/

Black92LX
01-17-2010, 11:08 AM

You can still have a regular house phone it does not effect that by any
means.

And you can have as many magic jack numbers as you have direct USB ports the magic jack can't be used with a HUB.

I felt the same way about a home phone and finally bought the magic jack last month too. The only problem I have found at all is that when you set it up, there are not enough local calling areas to choose from. The problem was that when I put in 859 as my area code, the only options were Richmond, and 2 others that I dont remember, but they were all way south in the 859 area code. All extensions were long distance from NKY. So if I used an 859 number, everyone would have to dial like it was long distance to call and I would have to do the same for them. Very confusing for a lot of people if I dont explain it to them. The only way to make it work for someone in NKY is too use 513, since their were lots of options there and everyone already knows to dial the 10 numbers. So I live in Independence and have a 513 number. So far, that is the only downfall. It works awesome and is cheap.

This is true, and forgot to add that in my original review. But for my uses it does not effect me. As my main phone calls are done with the cellphone. ALso Magic Jack had local numbers for my area.

Pretty much this line is for businesses and I don't really care if they have to pay long distance.