PDA

View Full Version : How much power /

Pops Fun
01-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Here the eternal question.... How much power will it make..

As most of you know i blew up my blown 347 :mad: It wasn't built for a blower.. that was an add on :D so it was a higher compression build Now:

The motor made about 520rwhp..... (stock block) now the only real change to the motor will be a dart block and dish pistons..
Less compression means less hp?? Or will the blower compensate? ??more room in the combustion chamber??

There are 2 things that I see could be done if there will be a significant drop....

1) The block could be safely bored to make it a 363ci instead of a 347 motor (think I would rather leave it a 347 and leave room for the next time:lol:)

I could go with a custom grind cam and get rid of the steeda 19, it would still have to be relatively mild... the computer in the 94/95's are touchy. but could make up for a possible drop in HP

Thoughts and ideas!!

DeckerEnt
01-17-2010, 02:10 AM
The blower should produce more HP with a lower compression. A new cam designed with more exaust lift and or duration will help the blower too. I am no engine builder so hope more will chime in! Good luck with a new combo!!

MrsAPE
01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
I haven't a clue my crazy friend but I do know we need dinner soon!!

347sc
01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
The blower should produce more HP with a lower compression. A new cam designed with more exaust lift and or duration will help the blower too. I am no engine builder so hope more will chime in! Good luck with a new combo!!

It can make more power at a higher compression but it is safer to go lower due to fuel and spark. Detonation will beat the mains out and break pistons if not put in check.

Steve you will be able to make very good numbers and stay safe. You will need some safety equiptment to go with the new motor because it will no doubt be faster.:bigthumb

Walter
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Please elaborate.

Pops Fun
01-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I haven't a clue my crazy friend but I do know we need dinner soon!!

Very true... Mexican or Mongolian barbecue place!!

Pops Fun
01-17-2010, 01:29 PM
It can make more power at a higher compression but it is safer to go lower due to fuel and spark. Detonation will beat the mains out and break pistons if not put in check.

Steve you will be able to make very good numbers and stay safe. You will need some safety equiptment to go with the new motor because it will no doubt be faster.:bigthumb

Cool faster!! Got to like that answer!!

kennebellcobra
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Steve can you up the boost any to make up for the lower compression or is it maxed now? 94-95 computers ain't as bad as everyone thinks...my b-31 drives great! Ricky 331twisted wedge just did a explorer motor in a 95 with a tf stage 1 cam and with no tune at all... it acts stock other than some lope.

NXcoupe
01-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I think what Bo means is that with lower compression you can put more timing into the tune. I don't know about more power, but you can equal what you had more than likely. I would just put a smaller pulley on for a few more pounds of boost, it's a dart block, use it. lol

djom1cincy
01-17-2010, 04:44 PM
^ That is a bad ass sig pic :bigthumb

89notch
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Order a 351w block and build a 408...the cost is not that much more when you have to start over anyways. Your already going to have to buy crank rods pistons and an oil pan. The only thing left is a lower intake and headers and you can sell your old ones to offset the cost. Ask all of the 331 and 347 guys if they had to do it all over what would they do? They will all tell you they would build a 400+ inch motor.

INSANEBA
01-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Order a 351w block and build a 408...the cost is not that much more when you have to start over anyways. Your already going to have to buy crank rods pistons and an oil pan. The only thing left is a lower intake and headers and you can sell your old ones to offset the cost. Ask all of the 331 and 347 guys if they had to do it all over what would they do? They will all tell you they would build a 400+ inch motor.

No replacement for displacement...:bigthumb

Timido
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
There is a replacement for displacement. More boost.. I like more CID motors but I have seen a couple little cube motors with turbos and blowers flat get it. If this was a NA motor I would say go BIG.

stocknotch
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Whats it matter if its n/a or not. A bigger motor is always better. The only problem is he might need a bigger power adder to utilize the bigger motor.

JASON408
01-17-2010, 07:37 PM
I think what Bo means is that with lower compression you can put more timing into the tune. I don't know about more power, but you can equal what you had more than likely. I would just put a smaller pulley on for a few more pounds of boost, it's a dart block, use it. lol

best idea yet !!! cams and heads and cubic inch only realy come in to play when the turbo or blower is maxed out . cheapest thing is to put a smaller pully on it and let her rip . you will lose a little pop with the lower compretion but a few pound of boost will make up for it . im not a fan of lowering the compretion to low but i dont like pump gas eithier :lol: so for you lower comp is prob a good thing :bigthumb

DeckerEnt
01-17-2010, 08:54 PM
It was the timing thing with lower compression. Like I said, I am no engine builder. I was on the right track with it being safer to run lower compression with a super charger. Steve did say that the motor wasn't built for a blower in the first place so......

Timido
01-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Bigger motor= bigger power adder, headers, intake, Bigger heads, Stronger Trans, Fast system, monster injectors. Yes bigger is better but it is not as easy as it sounds.

MrsAPE
01-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Very true... Mexican or Mongolian barbecue place!!

Either or...we love both!

NXcoupe
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
^ That is a bad ass sig pic :bigthumb

Thanks man! I'm kind a fond of it. lol.

Mista Bone
01-18-2010, 01:48 AM
It was the timing thing with lower compression. Like I said, I am no engine builder. I was on the right track with it being safer to run lower compression with a super charger. Steve did say that the motor wasn't built for a blower in the first place so......

Just needed more timing pulled.

Likely created hot spots when cruising then jump on it and things start melting.

12.5:1 NA is possible on 87 octane, or 7 psi with 93 octane if the tuner on it, but little room for error.

Pops Fun
01-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Whoa... lots of suggestions, considered going 351 but.... have everything but block and pistons for the 347.... Money money Money.
I was pretty happy with the car before.. :D Yes faster is always better but..... Actually suspension and other parts probably would help more at the track. :D
As most of you know nothing I like better than burning a little rubber and goosing it on the road!! That is what it's all about!! Those that have cruised with me know that!!

Thanks for the input... sounds like I'll be back to normal... over 500hp. :D i have been thinking a cam may liven thengs up a little more, what say you... have a steeda 19 cam

Stock 302 block, broke
347ci Stroker
Shorty Header
TFS TW Heads (ported)
Steeda 19 Cam
Cobra Intake (ported)
SCT MAF
Power Pipe
Vortech, SQ
Ford 3.73 Gear
Flowmaster Exhaust
42# injectors
H&S 1.72 Roller Rockers
MSD 6al
Blaster coil
Walbro 255 LPH
T-rex inline fuel pump
RPS clutch (definately Changing)
Aluminum Flywheel
TF Girdle
Eagle Forged crank
HPM uppers and lowers
Fluidyne Radiator
Sub frame connectors

JASON408
01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
it was fast before it will be fast again !!!

A05C
01-20-2010, 05:02 AM
I've got a 410w that i'll part with ;)

Might possibly going a different direction with my car.. ;)

Pops Fun
01-20-2010, 08:54 AM
I've got a 410w that i'll part with ;)

Might possibly going a different direction with my car.. ;)
Thanks think I will stay small block..

Pops Fun
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
it was fast before it will be fast again !!!

Thanks.... I say it was fun before and will be fun later!! It's a street car. :D

A05C
01-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Thanks think I will stay small block..

a 410w is a small block

Pops Fun
01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
a 410w is a small block

Oh... Learn something new all the time.

A05C
01-22-2010, 12:55 AM
all it is, is a 351 block, punched .040 and has a 4.000 stroke= 410