PDA

View Full Version : Focus or Corolla....

PonymanfiveO
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
So my girlfriend's lease is up on her VW Golf and she is looking at new cars to lease. She really likes the new Toyota Corolla. I mentioned looking at the Ford Focus, so she has been checking them out online. She likes the way it looks and it seems pretty comparable to the Corolla. Maybe we will go see Beefcake this week and check the Focus out in person. :cool2:

Anyone have any thoughts on the two cars?

Anyone on here have a good hookup at a Toyota dealer?

MWoods26
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
BUY AMERICAN..

Kevin1989
01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
the focus sports are sweet i have seen a few with some sick gun metal rims and a little sportier than stock exhaust from the factory

306Power
01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
BUY AMERICAN..

Honestly at this point Toyota is 90 percent American.

87stangbbb
01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
i hate to say it on a ford site but i'd go TOYOTA

thecollector
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Drive the exact trim models you plan to lease back to back. I have owned both and can say I never did experience the "superior toyota reliability." I rock an 04 svt as a DD and it is hands down one of the most enjoyable cars to drive. The new foci have a somewhat diluted suspension compared to the first gen's but the characteristics can vary greatly based on what trim levels you drive of both cars. Not that it really matters with a lease but the Focus has a pretty good following of aftermarket parts. Steeda, Central Florida motorsport, and saleen are just a few names.

Toyota usually runs some good lease rates but those are often times on stripped down cars.

For a purchase I'd go with the Focus, Used. Let someone else take the depreciation.

Shop with beef to see what the current rates are for Ford. Performance Toyota has always beat almost every other company for lease rates when I have quoted them (fleet vehicles).

Happy shopping.

inferno50
01-17-2010, 11:54 PM
i think they are both good cars. whats the price difference? good luck.

2007ShelbyCobra
01-17-2010, 11:57 PM
focus by far

94tchikinv8
01-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I'd wait and see what the new Fiesta is all about.

-Rob

Mista Bone
01-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Is the Corolla drive by wire?????? There is reports now that cars are still going WOT even when the floor mats are already removed and placed in the trunk.

Then again, having lived with a VW, she'd be used to random CEL's.

Sorry, I'd go visit Beefcake. Ford has really turned things around.

9cobra4
01-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Shaylas focus is a base model/auto and gets 34/35 mpg, and can actually pass a car.

Camaro86SHOCKER
01-18-2010, 02:51 AM
im a big guy, room wise i like the focus better its a small car that i think is very comfortable, I would prefer the focus if price was comparable.

bobtsgt
01-18-2010, 07:49 AM
for the value tell Rob to get a Corolla :D

Evil_Capri
01-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Can she wait a year for the new Focus?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/01/nextgenfordfocus000_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/11/2011-ford-focus-unveiled-u-s-and-euro-models-finally-unite/

KB1
01-18-2010, 08:27 AM
I have a 2007 Focus ZX3 as my DD, I tried on all of the "small" cars before I bought the Focus, I like the way it handles the gas mileage is between 32-35 no matter how I drive it, it rides like a bigger car, lots of head, shoulder & leg room, basically bullet proof mechanicals. No regrets buying my Focus.

Kevin

quik lx
01-18-2010, 09:11 AM
We loved our '06 Focus ZX4 5spd, 60K trouble free miles before selling it. Would buy another!:bigthumb

Black Horse
01-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Drive them both....then make your decision. I'll be betting you'll like the Focus.

04 Venom
01-18-2010, 11:37 AM

True, but the profits go overseas.

04 Venom
01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
We loved our '06 Focus ZX4 5spd, 60K trouble free miles before selling it. Would buy another!:bigthumb

My DD is an 01 Focus ZX-3. It handles well and still gets 30 MPG around town and 34 on a trip. It has 100K trouble free miles. When it goes, I'm getting another.

87stangbbb
01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Can she wait a year for the new Focus?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/01/nextgenfordfocus000_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/11/2011-ford-focus-unveiled-u-s-and-euro-models-finally-unite/
damn that is sweet i'd take that over a toyota

PonymanfiveO
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys! Big help here. Im gonna make sure we go drive a focus this week for sure.
That new focus looks mean as hell!

BLUE91LX
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Not going either way,but looks just like a camry to me

Evil_Capri
01-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Not going either way,but looks just like a camry to me

Really? Huh, I don't see it . . . .

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/01/2010_Toyota_Camry.jpg

WCKDGT
01-18-2010, 03:38 PM
go with the focus man. ive had 2 of them, a zts 4dr and a 02 svt, and my girl has a 05 zx4. its a great little car. she bought it in 07 the only prob we had was alternator which i just replaced last week. (which was pretty easy considering it's fwd) but she has put 50k on it in 3 yrs. hers is loaded, leather, heated seats and mirrors sunroof and it was on $13k 3yrs ago w 35k on the clock

04 Venom
01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Really? Huh, I don't see it . . . .

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/01/2010_Toyota_Camry.jpg

There is no comparison, Focus FTW.

praterjack
01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=Mista Bone;536818] There is reports now that cars are still going WOT even when the floor mats are already removed and placed in the trunk.

The people that make these reports ar the ones trying to make money off toyota. I have yet to see one take off by its self. Toyota does a lot of things to stop future mishaps. As for the whole floor mat thing they are making a new gas pedal to make people feel a ease. So personaly working at toyota you dont get a lot of trouble with the new ones. I will say I dont like some of the plastic interior features but the performance, reliability and the willingness of the company to stick behind its cars. I do like that alot.

But as for buying a ne one i think i would buy a certified used one. That features 7 year 100000 mile waranty , like a 90 day if anything breaks they will fix it no matter what. I think they may also have free roadside assistance but not a 100% on that. Also your not taking the initial depretiation.

If you got any questions about the corolla ill try and answer them. Also you may want to rent one of each to test out. I know my dealership will usually rent you one for a good deal if you say you may buy one.I'm not sure if ford rents car but its worth a shot. But dont let me steer you away from trying ford. As i will tell you ford is really turning around things. Heck the ford on our block actually out sold my toyota dealership in new car units.

Any rate good luck on your purchase!!!

Mista Bone
01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah, using a sawzall to hack off 1.5-2" of pedal is a good way to fix things, and that is exactly what the techs have to do.

Buddy of mine is a service tech at a Columbus dealership. Customer brought his car back a SECOND time for the throttle @ WOT. Parked it in the service area with it bouncing off the revlimiter, gas pedal not stuck or anything.

BigBadStang
01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
...Parked it in the service area with it bouncing off the revlimiter, gas pedal not stuck or anything.

That would be friggin hilarious to see.

pegasus
01-19-2010, 09:57 AM

most of the money ends up in japan

WCKDGT
01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
most of the money ends up in japan

finally somebody else who lives in reality! just cause its built here doesnt mean the money stays here!!!!!

beefcake
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
hopefully i'll be seeing ya today, i do have an 07 used corolla too if thats your cup of tea :)

the sync in the focus she'll love though

jdubya
01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
finally somebody else who lives in reality! just cause its built here doesnt mean the money stays here!!!!!

No but at least it creates jobs here unlike most American car companies. Hell even VW is building a plant in TN to build cars here.

PonymanfiveO
01-19-2010, 05:52 PM
hopefully i'll be seeing ya today, i do have an 07 used corolla too if thats your cup of tea :)

the sync in the focus she'll love though

Sweet! we will be headed up that way in a bit! :bigthumb

2007ShelbyCobra
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM

I would have said this a few posts ago, but some how a lot of people would disagree.

PONYGRL
01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Both are nice. I was gonna get a new focus but havent decided what to do yet.... all I know is I think a snail could beat me in a race but then again I have only had 6 or 8 cylinders so I dont really know what to do with a 4 cyl and good gas mileage. I really like the way the new focuses look also... for the price, they are clean and really sporty looking IMO

Kevin1989
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Both are nice. I was gonna get a new focus but havent decided what to do yet.... all I know is I think a snail could beat me in a race but then again I have only had 6 or 8 cylinders so I dont really know what to do with a 4 cyl and good gas mileage. I really like the way the new focuses look also... for the price, they are clean and really sporty looking IMO

4 banger daily drivers are fun! you drive it... then hop in the stang and it makes your car seem faster

Mista Bone
01-22-2010, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=Mista Bone;536818] There is reports now that cars are still going WOT even when the floor mats are already removed and placed in the trunk.

The people that make these reports ar the ones trying to make money off toyota. I have yet to see one take off by its self. Toyota does a lot of things to stop future mishaps. As for the whole floor mat thing they are making a new gas pedal to make people feel a ease. So personaly working at toyota you dont get a lot of trouble with the new ones. I will say I dont like some of the plastic interior features but the performance, reliability and the willingness of the company to stick behind its cars. I do like that alot.

But as for buying a ne one i think i would buy a certified used one. That features 7 year 100000 mile waranty , like a 90 day if anything breaks they will fix it no matter what. I think they may also have free roadside assistance but not a 100% on that. Also your not taking the initial depretiation.

If you got any questions about the corolla ill try and answer them. Also you may want to rent one of each to test out. I know my dealership will usually rent you one for a good deal if you say you may buy one.I'm not sure if ford rents car but its worth a shot. But dont let me steer you away from trying ford. As i will tell you ford is really turning around things. Heck the ford on our block actually out sold my toyota dealership in new car units.

Any rate good luck on your purchase!!!

What was that???? Toyota recalling another 2.3 million cars with sticking gas pedals, really now.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Toyota-Recalling-2-3M-US-Vehicles/eNRAegWjYEqZJ5pI62RA1A.cspx

DeckerEnt
01-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Hate to dog american workers but who is building toyotas in america? Americans? Then why are they recalling them? Did americans build them wrong? Just something to ponder.

Mista Bone
01-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Likely the same Americans that built the F150's in Louisville with faulty cruise control that like to catch fire.

Ford tried to say that wasn't a problem either.

Not the workers, but the designers and corporate trying to cut costs.

Hrm, Toyota and F150 made in Kentucky, just saying.

Anyone wanna buy a new Pinto?

blown86lx
01-22-2010, 02:57 AM
I worked at a Toyota dealership for 5 years and still get parts at cost if you and up going that route let me know when you need parts and I think I can help you. The only thing is the dealership is in Delaware Ohio north of Columbus.

Mista Bone
01-22-2010, 03:20 AM
I worked at a Toyota dealership for 5 years and still get parts at cost if you and up going that route let me know when you need parts and I think I can help you. The only thing is the dealership is in Delaware Ohio north of Columbus.

The buddy I mentioned above is thinking of moving to the Delaware dealership. He lives right off 315/Bunty Station and works down in Cbus. Not happy with the management, or lack there of, so why drive so far????

306Power
01-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Hrm, Toyota and F150 made in Kentucky, just saying.

Mhmm, two of the best selling cars and trucks ever, just saying.

blown86lx
01-22-2010, 04:07 AM
The buddy I mentioned above is thinking of moving to the Delaware dealership. He lives right off 315/Bunty Station and works down in Cbus. Not happy with the management, or lack there of, so why drive so far????

I haven't worked there for 3 years but I made good money when I worked for them and the manager that was there when I worked there is no longer. But overall a good place to work if you can put up with a few of the old school asshlole techs who work there.

Mista Bone
01-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Mhmm, two of the best selling cars and trucks ever, just saying.

and most recalled, not saying much.

Mista Bone
01-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I haven't worked there for 3 years but I made good money when I worked for them and the manager that was there when I worked there is no longer. But overall a good place to work if you can put up with a few of the old school asshlole techs who work there.

Times are tough for service techs, as he stated MAYBE 25-30 billable hours a week. Down from the normal 70+ hours.

306Power
01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
and most recalled, not saying much.

For one year? One year doesnt erase their overall build quality for the last 25 years. F150 and Corrolla are 2 of the best selling vehicles in history. A lot of companies take forever or dont even issue a recall on problems (GM in the 90's) at least they take care of their customers and fix the problem.

Mista Bone
01-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Why are so many F 150's sold????

They need replaced more often since they don't last that long!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1997/ford/f_150/recalls/index.html

blown86lx
01-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Times are tough for service techs, as he stated MAYBE 25-30 billable hours a week. Down from the normal 70+ hours.

Yeah they must have slowed down.When I was there it was a bad check if you made 80 to 90 hours in 2 weeks.We used to average 130 to 140 hour checks there. Eric the service adviser is one hell of a nice guy and treats everyone fair. He doesn't favor the guys who have been there a long time like most,he lets everyone get some of the gravy jobs.:lol:

Katmandu
01-23-2010, 05:11 PM
(GM in the 90's) at least they take care of their customers and fix the problem.GM ??? Ever hear of the Dexacool fiasco ??

306Power
01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
GM ??? Ever hear of the Dexacool fiasco ??

No no no you got me all wrong brother, read before the parentheses. I meant that GM didn't take care of their problems in the 90's. I know first hand the DexCool deal, as my DD is a 98 Monte Carlo. Had a wasted LIM gasket at 39,000 miles. I just now got it taken care of at 128,000 miles. Have the new Fel-Pro design gasket in, should be good to go.

Katmandu
01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
No no no you got me all wrong brother, read before the parentheses. I meant that GM didn't take care of their problems in the 90's.Ok.....got it now.

That Dexacool SUCKS !!

My winter beater (99 S10 Blazer) just spun a rod bearing last week. :mad: :mad: Almost certainly due to some Dexacool finding it's way into the crankcase sometime in the past. :mad: :mad:

306Power
01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Ok.....got it now.

That Dexacool SUCKS !!

My winter beater (99 S10 Blazer) just spun a rod bearing last week. :mad: :mad: Almost certainly due to some Dexacool finding it's way into the crankcase sometime in the past. :mad: :mad:

That sucks man! I wouldnt doubt it either though. Any Coolant mixed in with the oil?

Mista Bone
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
So, how about those Toyota's now??????

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-26-toyota_N.htm

The Japan made Denso units are ok, but the US made CTS units are suspect.

Ford is gonna be the biggest winner coming out of this bad economy, GM and Chrysler needed bailed out, Ford has really stepped up their quailty....it is really gonna show.

bascom123
01-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Millions of Toyota's recalled, they are not selling them right now due to it..

Katmandu
01-27-2010, 05:42 PM
That sucks man! I wouldnt doubt it either though. Any Coolant mixed in with the oil?Not that I can tell. It "may" be a very small leak into the crankcase. It probably evaporates (via PCV) as it's driven. I do a lot of highway driving. I've only driven it about 2k miles since I've owned it. :rolleyes: