PDA

View Full Version : anybody work on old tractors?

Camaro86SHOCKER
01-21-2010, 03:22 AM
I have an old ford tractor that just recently started not wanting to start, its getting fuel but i think spark is the issue. I know nothing about the old points style ignition on it.
its a 40's full size ford 4-cyl. if anyone knows how to work on these or knows anyone who does please let me know.

mustangrfast88
01-21-2010, 04:00 AM
my dad has a old ford that we have worked on and he has a place that he gets all his parts from there not to had to work on

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-21-2010, 08:51 AM
I know a guy out in Mt. Orab who's restoring an old Ford tractor...i'll get his number for you.

facemelter71
01-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I got my dads old 801 powermaster running.Sounds to me kinda like a points and condenser issue.I have gone through two sets of them on his tractor.And if it has been switched to 12 volt then it kinda likes to eat them up from time to time.But this weekend ill be switching his over to Pertronics ignition.

tcorns
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
points and condenser should be a start. when was the last time it ran and for how long. ford engines are bad for not being sealed well and if the air has been moist they can be a pain in the butt to start. i am to the point that i don't even mess with it during the winter. hopefully i will correct most of the issues over the next few weeks when i drag the 9n in to rebuild the engine.

what model, 6 or 12 volt, last maintenance, front or side mount distributor?

trev

mustang8998
01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
..... this weekend ill be switching his over to Pertronics ignition.

Smartest "mod" you can do and no-one will ever know!

Black Horse
01-22-2010, 09:01 AM
The old Fords are definately know for points and condensor issues. I have a Ferguson with the same basic set-up and carry a spare set with me. Good thing about the points, you can about set the gap by eye!

INSANEBA
01-22-2010, 09:52 AM
PM'ed ya!

facemelter71
01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
The old Fords are definately know for points and condensor issues. I have a Ferguson with the same basic set-up and carry a spare set with me. Good thing about the points, you can about set the gap by eye!

Old match book cover.And He also has another set of points and condenser sittin in the garage for it.And also,dont leave your machinery in the yard out in the weather.That will destroy it.

Camaro86SHOCKER
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
points and condenser should be a start. when was the last time it ran and for how long. ford engines are bad for not being sealed well and if the air has been moist they can be a pain in the butt to start. i am to the point that i don't even mess with it during the winter. hopefully i will correct most of the issues over the next few weeks when i drag the 9n in to rebuild the engine.

what model, 6 or 12 volt, last maintenance, front or side mount distributor?

trev

6-volt, and front mount.

thanks to all who pm'd me as well as all of your suggestions and help i really wanna get this thing running.
Points huh? how do i change or fix those? lol

pegasus
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
gotta love cloth wrapped wires....

tcorns
01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
www.valubilt.com is a great source for parts unless you have someone local to you. also, you really need to find a service manual for the tractor. it makes things a bit easier.
since technology eludes me... send me an email to tcorns2630@gmail.com and i will send a copy of the scanned pages via e-mail if that is ok.

trev

94tchikinv8
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
My cousin works on old John Deere tractors, but he could probably help you out if you needed it still. If you want his number just PM me.

-Rob

mustang8998
01-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Points huh? how do i change or fix those? lol

My, how times have changed! A car guy, saying something, like that! :lol:

Camaro86SHOCKER
01-23-2010, 03:13 AM
My, how times have changed! A car guy, saying something, like that! :lol:

Yeah i know my dad said the same thing, lol. I cant even count how many cars ive built with electronic ignitions lol. Hell my first engine i ever built was a fuel injected computer controlled v8 lol. I understand the new stuff more than the old.

Camaro86SHOCKER
01-23-2010, 03:15 AM
www.valubilt.com is a great source for parts unless you have someone local to you. also, you really need to find a service manual for the tractor. it makes things a bit easier.
since technology eludes me... send me an email to tcorns2630@gmail.com and i will send a copy of the scanned pages via e-mail if that is ok.

trev

If i send you pictures do you think you could identify exactly what year it is? Cause i really dont know what information to send you. Im not exactly sure what year it is. Or is there a serial number somewhere on it that would help? I really appreciate your help and i would love to get those from you.

tcorns
01-23-2010, 08:38 AM
you can either send pics or post them. once you understand the concept you will find them easy to troubleshot and fix.

trev