PDA

View Full Version : New Ohio law!

duststang
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Did you hear about the new law that if you are late on renewing your license
or tags Ohio is charging a extra $20. This is to help out the State Highway
Patrols. Since Oct they have made over 6 million extra dollars. How much money does the State Highway Patrol need? They will get that money one way or another.

Kevin1989
01-22-2010, 09:30 AM
well add 20 more for me the mustang tags expired mid december and i have no plans to renew it till its decent driving weather. fucking stupid that i should get charged for it but what can you do,

cstreu1026
01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm not going to complain too much. After all they give you like 3 months notice before your plates expire.

Now if we could just get rid of that stupid front plate!

Black92LX
01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
don't complain.
Here in KY we have to pay a registration fee and have to pay taxes on the vehicle here and the late fee here is 20% of the total PER DAY!

cstreu1026
01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
That's the only thing I don't miss about living in Kentucky.

k062693w
01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
That's the only thing I don't miss about living in Kentucky.

:lol: So you miss being randomly A$$ Raped by some mountain man ??? LMAO

cstreu1026
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I said Kentucky not West Virginia.

mailman
01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
They kicked my ass this year- 3 cars and a DL, each at 20 late fee...

sean
01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Wow. I had to get a new d/l when I got my endorsement, then renew a few months later, tag a bike and 2 vehicles. I made darn sure I was early. It needs to go to the county. Unless the state is going to reduce tickets for people that live in Ohio. Most expensive sticker I ever bought. You can get a whole sheet of them at Walmart. I think I will barrow one of my daughters princess stickers next year.

duststang
01-22-2010, 12:23 PM
well add 20 more for me the mustang tags expired mid december and i have no plans to renew it till its decent driving weather. fucking stupid that i should get charged for it but what can you do,

I agree total BS. If you dont renew and get caught you will get a ticket. I dont understand how they can justify late charges?

cstreu1026
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
The guy a I work with had plates that were way over due. The guy at the BMV basically treated it like a new registration and he got out of the $20 fee.

duststang
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
The guy a I work with had plates that were way over due. The guy at the BMV basically treated it like a new registration and he got out of the $20 fee.

that would be cool!

four6trix
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
At least we're not being forced to have those fruity new ohio plates. luckily we have a choice...for now.

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
This is nothing but a revenue generator, and it's also a catch 22 for guys that choose to store vehicles, or tear them down and work/build them. If you don't license the vehicle on time you pay $20 (almost half of what the ANNUAL fee is for license plates). If you license the vehicle, and drop your insurance while the car is either stored or being built, and the wonderful State of Ohio sends you a random FRA (financial responsibility act...having minimum state mandated insurance), your drivers license WILL be suspended. What a load of shit this is. Don't you just love the asinine laws/fees/penalties that politicians come up with when they can't control their spending?
FUCK THEM ALL.

firestang70
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
:lol: So you miss being randomly A$$ Raped by some mountain man ??? LMAO

Aaron hey man would you like to grab some lunch???:D

Black Horse
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Its not a new law, been around since October, I just think they did a piss poor job of letting everyone know. I almost got caught, renewed on the 7th day - whew.

By the way, the cost of the vanity plates in Ohio went up too. At least they could have kissed me.

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 05:16 PM
6 million dollars generated in a little over 3 months!
Less money for people to spend on other things, just so the State gov't can piss it away again. :rolleyes:

99Slobra
01-22-2010, 05:18 PM
It sucks but you have lots of time to renew and lots of ways to renew. Hell you can do it online or over the mail and just wait for it to come in.

The only reason you have not to renew it on time is that you can't afford too.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
They kicked my ass this year- 3 cars and a DL, each at 20 late fee...

Yep...that's me plus a vanity plate on top of it. Needless to say i won't be late registering mine. I can't stand throwing away money.

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Ironically, I just received this email minutes ago. I have heard that they are catching hell over this, and many people are pissed about them passing this change and doing it silently. Why else would it take them over three months to notify?

*****DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL*****

Dear Ohio Motorist:

This is a friendly reminder about a change in Ohio driver license and vehicle registration law.

Starting Oct. 1, 2009, the BMV has been required to impose a $20.00 late fee on all late driver license and vehicle registration renewals. There is a 7 day grace period associated with the late fee.

In order to avoid a late fee, remember to complete renewals before the expiration date, either in person, by mail or on-line at http://www.OPLATES.com. (Please be aware that mail and on-line registrations may take additional time). Please remember that driver licenses and vehicle registrations typically expire on the motorist’s birthday, as some mistakenly believe the end of the month.

If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Registration Special Plates Section, P.O. Box 16521, Columbus, Ohio 43216-6521, call 1-800-589-8247, or email us at Registrar@dps.state.oh.us.

DON’T FORGET....Take advantage of renewing on line at http://www.oplates.com. Your Ohio registration may be renewed up to 90 days prior to expiration.

may93
01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
It sucks but you have lots of time to renew and lots of ways to renew. Hell you can do it online or over the mail and just wait for it to come in.

The thing is depending on when your tags would expire could determine when you renewed them. If your birthday was late October or early November and you only drive your car in nice weather you could let them expire while sitting in the garage. Then have them renewed in the spring and save yourself some money in the process. Maybe only $15.00 dollars but it was still a savings. Now they've made the penalty more then the savings. Motorcycles however are considered seasonal and are not affected.

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the Crown Vic is going away...either this year or next maybe? They need that extra cash to buy all new Dodge Chargers.

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 05:57 PM
THIS (http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/21/copy/LATEFEE.ART_ART_01-21-10_A1_B7GC7M1.html?sid=101) was posted/printed yesterday in the Columbus Dispatch...and today I get an email...imagine that!

Catch the part where temp tags, vision screenings ALSO went up?
The OSHP gets $19.50 of every late fee so they can bust more people on the roads and generate even more revenue...nice. :mad:
I get so tired of the constant fucking of the people by these ELECTED fucktards! The fact they do it under the guise 'safety and protection' is horse shit too. Them thinking every taxpayer is a dumbass, endless source of money angers me to no end.

cobrajoe
01-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Or your not driving it!

cobrajoe
01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the Crown Vic is going away...either this year or next maybe? They need that extra cash to buy all new Dodge Chargers.

Ford has another police vehicle in the works!

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Perhaps this is an option to support...It's not going to help anyone with a 'newer' ride, but it's a starting point, and an option to the Historical Vehicle license.
Just received this notification too. :lol:

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

As a SEMA Member Company, we have received an Urgent Legislative Action Alert from the association. As an Ohio resident, you may be interested in this legislative alert and the possible impact it will have on your hobby.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) is a non-profit trade association composed of more than 6,800 member companies from all aspects of the automotive industry from manufacturers to car clubs and race teams.

The SEMA Action Network (SAN) protects your hobby from unfair or unnecessary legislation on national and local levels. Through distribution of information and the collective voice of automotive enthusiasts and businesses, the SEMA Action Network has successfully impacted legislation concerning scrappage laws, equipment standards, registration classifications, emissions regulations, and more.

The following information is directly from SEMA. If you would like to contact the lawmaker, follow the instructions in the alert.

Thank you for your time,

Your Friends at Summit Racing Equipment

Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill to be Considered by Committee on Wed., Jan. 27

SEMA model legislation (H.B. 199) that would create a vehicle registration and titling classification for street rods and custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles will be considered by the Ohio House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on Wednesday, Jan. 27. H.B. 199 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation that the body of the vehicle was constructed to resemble. The sponsor of the bill, Rep. Kenny Yuko, is attempting to identify Ohio hobbyists or businesses that would like to appear at the hearing to testify in favor of the bill. If you would be interested in testifying, please contact me immediately at stevem@sema.org

For Those Unable to Testify, We Urge You to Contact All Members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for H.B. 199

For those interested in attending the hearing to voice support, the committee will meet on Wed., Jan. 27 at the following address and time: State House 1 Capitol Square, Room 17 Columbus, Ohio 10:30 AM · H.B. 199 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs. · H.B. 199 includes street rods and customs (including replicas) in the historical motor vehicle definition for the purpose of holding these vehicles only to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle. H.B. 199 provides that a replica vehicle can be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it was constructed to resemble. · H.B. 199 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.

Ohio House Transportation and Infrastructure:

Representative Robert Hagan – Chair
Call: 614/466-9435
Fax: 614/719-3960
Email: district60@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Dale Mallory
Call: 614/466-1645
Fax: 614/719-3586
Email: district32@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Linda Bolon
Call: 614/466-8022
Fax: 614/719-6971
Email: district01@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative John Patrick
Call: 614/466-2473
Fax: 614/719-6961
Email: district22@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative John Domenick
Call: 614/466-3735
Fax: 614/719-6995
Email: district95@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Mike Foley
Call: 614/466-3350
Fax: 614/719-3910
Email: district14@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Kenny Yuko
Call: 614/466-8012
Fax: 614/719-0007
Email: district07@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Courtney Eric Combs
Call: 614/644-6721
Fax: 614/719-6954
Email: district54@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Troy Balderson
Call: 614/644-6014
Fax: 614/719-6994
Email: district94@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Jeffrey McClain
Call: 614/644-6265
Fax: 614/719-6982
Email: district82@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Margaret Ruhl
Call: 614/466-1431
Fax: 614/719-6990
Email: district90@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative Joe Uecker
Call: 614/466-8134
Fax: 614/719-3966
Email: district66@ohr.state.oh.us

Representative James Zehringer
Call: 614/466-6344
Fax: 614/719-3977
Email: district77@ohr.state.oh.us

Please send a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org

facemelter71
01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
If your car is down and out,and you are rebuilding it.Have your receipt's handy.And make sure that whomever is providing the receipt put YOUR vehicle info on it.PRINTED.I paid an ASSLOAD for injectors and that alone would have been enough proof to waiver the 20 dollar late charge,BUT the receipt didnt have the car info on it.So I got hammered.

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Still bullshit...receipts or not. It gets old having to jump through all the hoops to prove the who's what's and why's for everyfuckingthing anymore, even if you've done nothing wrong.

redfirepearlgt
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Did you hear about the new law that if you are late on renewing your license
or tags Ohio is charging a extra $20. This is to help out the State Highway
Patrols. Since Oct they have made over 6 million extra dollars. How much money does the State Highway Patrol need? They will get that money one way or another.

Maybe they will quit calling and asking for donations now!! YEAH, RIGHT!!! The last time they called me I told them to take a paycut LIKE ALL ENTITLEMENT MINDED, SPOILED, SELF-CENTERED, LAZY, FREAKING, GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO DO!!!!! Heaven would collapse onto the earth if a local,state,or federal govt. employee would ever have their pay frozen for the year ineffort to balance a budget, not to mention a paycut like so many taxpaying citizens have received or worse over the past 2-3 years. Add to all of this these people are union protected, GO FIGURE!!!!! If ever there was an underpaid section of the government in need of union representation it would be the enlisted ranks of our hero men and women of the armed forces who put their asses on the line everyday of their enlistment!!!!!

99Slobra
01-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I guess I'm missing how this is so hard for some people on here.

In Florida you have a 10 day grace period before you have to pay a fine depending on what county your vehicle is registered in.

BigBadStang
01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I guess I'm missing how this is so hard for some people on here...

It's this complacency, I believe, that has led to the asshats we have in all levels of gov't that treat the taxpayers as an endless supply of money to be pissed away. Many people don't seem to give a shit that they are being taxed (which is exactly what this fee is, a disguised tax) to fucking death, and just blow things like this off, until it becomes commonplace and expected. If one thing history has shown us, is when you crack the door, they (Gov't) will keep pushing the door open. Who's to say after everyone get's used to the new fee, that in a few years they won't raise it to $30? After all it would onlybe ten bucks right? God knows, the gov't will never drop a fee (tax) once we are acustomed to it.
When they (elected officials) can't control their spending, they just keep going to the well (the taxpayers) for more rather than being fiscally responsible and not spending more than they have coming in.

Do I drive around on expired tags? No.
Do I let my DL expire? No, my employer won't tolerate it.
Will I get hit with this fee/tax? Probably not, but it fires me up to see this crap go on.:mad:
$20 is almost HALF of a years license plates, and it is about 60% of the cost of a 4 year driver's license. That's very exorbitent if you ask me!
The people this is going to affect the most are people who are already struggling to get by.

may93
01-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I guess I'm missing how this is so hard for some people on here.

In Florida you have a 10 day grace period before you have to pay a fine depending on what county your vehicle is registered in.

Its not hard to renew your plates. The procedure is easy. The complaint is the fact they charge a late fee of $20.00 now. I would let my Mustang and Motorcycle tags expire each October and then renew them in the spring. Instead of $38.00 for plates it was approx. $25.00 as it was for the 6 or so months remaining before my next birthday. Now I have to pay full price for a vehicle that wont see the roads for half the year I paid for.

99Slobra
01-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Usually fees go up because people were brushing it off as a minor thing.

There are late fee's for everything.

02mingryGT
01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Usually fees go up because people were brushing it off as a minor thing.

There are late fee's for everything.

From a private business yes(excluding banks).

From a government entity? Fees go up because rather than pissing off special interest groups they charge everyone using a well known tact, regulate personal behavior. Problem is people don't see it for what it really is, getting more revenue rather than having some fiscal responsibility.

99Slobra
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
That's the government way.

See a chance for a fine and use it.

duststang
01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
It's this complacency, I believe, that has led to the asshats we have in all levels of gov't that treat the taxpayers as an endless supply of money to be pissed away. Many people don't seem to give a shit that they are being taxed (which is exactly what this fee is, a disguised tax) to king death, and just blow things like this off, until it becomes commonplace and expected. If one thing history has shown us, is when you crack the door, they (Gov't) will keep pushing the door open. Who's to say after everyone get's used to the new fee, that in a few years they won't raise it to $30? After all it would onlybe ten bucks right? God knows, the gov't will never drop a fee (tax) once we are acustomed to it.
When they (elected officials) can't control their spending, they just keep going to the well (the taxpayers) for more rather than being fiscally responsible and not spending more than they have coming in.

Do I drive around on expired tags? No.
Do I let my DL expire? No, my employer won't tolerate it.
Will I get hit with this fee/tax? Probably not, but it fires me up to see this crap go on.:mad:
$20 is almost HALF of a years license plates, and it is about 60% of the cost of a 4 year driver's license. That's very exorbitent if you ask me!
The people this is going to affect the most are people who are already struggling to get by.

:bigthumb right!
Because lack of budgeting tax payer has to suffer.
Why are they not driving hybrids? because they dont pay for the gas. LOL