PDA

View Full Version : Amp Recommendation

ashnic
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any amp recommendations with in reason of course...I have a new Sony head unit hooked up with the Mach 460 amps/speakers and a pair of Kicker C10's in the truck..I have a Alpine M300 amp that is sort of a pain to setup and would like to get a different amp and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...Thanks

cstreu1026
01-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I am a big fan of JL Audio's stuff. Once the cage is installed in my car i plan to re-do the stereo and use one of their new HD900/5 amps.

306Power
01-27-2010, 04:06 AM
I dont know much at all about car stero's but are you looking at just an amp to power your subs? Or a 4 channel amp to power 2 speakers and the subs?

Mista Bone
01-27-2010, 04:45 AM
due to lack of info..........

Seems you are trying to go from line level to preamp level signal for the amp to power Alpine M300?

INSANEBA
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I personally love the Audiobahn A8000t's. Those things are cheap, gorgeous and POUND anything you throw it on. I had one on a set of kicker CVR12's, in my mark VIII, and it shook the roof lol. I have one on my audiobahn 10's in my dodge ram, and it's turned down so much right now but still slams them. It could blow the cones out of them if I wanted to lol... I'll probably be buying a few more of them for my truck, car and the wifeys jeep...

redfirepearlgt
01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any amp recommendations with in reason of course...I have a new Sony head unit hooked up with the Mach 460 amps/speakers and a pair of Kicker C10's in the truck..I have a Alpine M300 amp that is sort of a pain to setup and would like to get a different amp and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...Thanks

Are planning on gutting the 460? Are you wanting an amp only for the sub box? Do you want DB or sound quality? Keep in mind loud isn't always qaulity sound.

Assuming that you ony wish to run an amp to the sub-box, and assuming you are running a 2 ohm impedance mono speaker configuration (as many do), you will need a high current style amplifier capable of handling the current draw. Many people go Class D amplifier on subs if they want loud and don't care as much about THD. However, if you are looking for sound qaulity go class A high current. Memphis or MSD may be a good choice for a Class D amplifier, yet on the other hand I was always a fan of Diamond Audio Class A amplifiers. The D-5 series was a good warm, yet rugged amplifier that was capable of 2 ohm impedance mono loads. In the old school amps you will find that the older autotek mean machine series (known as chaeater amps in the 90's) and as well the Audio Art HC series were excellent choices that can still be found on line in good working order. Last don't forget about the PPI series which I believe still carry a decent reputation.

Let me know what you are trying to do and we can narrow this down and get you going. Just remember that like HP, sound quality carries the same similar question, "How loud and clear can you afford to go?"

ashnic
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
I was wanting to leave the 460 in...and just power a pair of 10's in the back or what would sound best...I do want good quality..and not blow out the windows..

redfirepearlgt
01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Excellent. Assuming that the Sony head unit has a RCA level line output and remote on (most aftermearket headunits do) then I would reccomend going with a Diamond audio D3 series 800.1 Class D amplifier designed specifically for use with subwoofers. The unit comes with a remote gain control that will mount up front giving you more control over the bass for better blending. THey are selling currently on ebay for about $160. THis unit is 4,2,or 1 ohm stable. These units have a good reputation in the audio industry and thought the D-3 series is considered "entry" level it will rival anything sound quality you would find at bestbuy or other chain audio stores. The unit will make 400 watts rosk solid RMS all day long. If you wish to step it up a notch they also have a 1000 watt sereis in the D-3 line. The D-5, and D-6 lines will take you into the intermediate line of Diamond audio amps which will give you high current style amps with more warmth and clarity. AS far as their D-9 series stuff, thats for rich NFL football players with more money than they know what to do with. Excellenet stuff but way over the top for simply supplementing a car stero stock system with an integrated sony head unit (no offense).

Hope this helps you out. Pulling the wiring if you haven't already done so will be the big pain in the butt challenge. I did a full system (low end) in my 02 GT. Nothing done in the 05. The shaker 1000 system does a nice job, or maybe I am just getting older LOL!!

Good luck.

306Power
01-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Excellent. Assuming that the Sony head unit has a RCA level line output and remote on (most aftermearket headunits do) then I would reccomend going with a Diamond audio D3 series 800.1 Class D amplifier designed specifically for use with subwoofers. The unit comes with a remote gain control that will mount up front giving you more control over the bass for better blending. THey are selling currently on ebay for about $160. THis unit is 4,2,or 1 ohm stable. These units have a good reputation in the audio industry and thought the D-3 series is considered "entry" level it will rival anything sound quality you would find at bestbuy or other chain audio stores. The unit will make 400 watts rosk solid RMS all day long. If you wish to step it up a notch they also have a 1000 watt sereis in the D-3 line. The D-5, and D-6 lines will take you into the intermediate line of Diamond audio amps which will give you high current style amps with more warmth and clarity. AS far as their D-9 series stuff, thats for rich NFL football players with more money than they know what to do with. Excellenet stuff but way over the top for simply supplementing a car stero stock system with an integrated sony head unit (no offense).

Hope this helps you out. Pulling the wiring if you haven't already done so will be the big pain in the butt challenge. I did a full system (low end) in my 02 GT. Nothing done in the 05. The shaker 1000 system does a nice job, or maybe I am just getting older LOL!!

Good luck.

Your the sound system guru on this site :bigthumb.