PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Wireless

TZ250
02-07-2010, 03:23 PM
After eight years with Verizon, I called to renew my contract and get a new phone. I don't want to pay for a data package. Verizon has changed the phone requirements so that any decent phone now requires a data package. :mad:

So, I'm now considering other carriers. What do you recommend?

redfirepearlgt
02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm in the same freaking boat. I stopped in to see about picking up that chocolate LG that is .47" thick and they told me I had to add data service. I call, receive, and use voicemail only on my phone, which is what a phone was designed for IMO. Not all that text stuff. I have enough of that to deal with on the job each week. I am also looking for another carrier, BUT may just by a new battery for my phone and stay because everyone in our family is on Verizon. I looked at ATT and their phones aren't much better.

djom1cincy
02-07-2010, 03:41 PM
That sucks. I have a data plan by choice. I'd be pissed if I didn't want it and they said I had to have it.

stocknotch
02-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I've been with Sprint fr 4-5 years now and i'm really happy with them. No cell phone companies are perfect but i've found I like sprint better than the rest. I'm constantly using the internet on the phone, along with 4000+ texts and probably 4500+ minutes a month so i ask alot out of a phone, lol.

306Power
02-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Thats messed up, I have a data plan on my phone but its because I wanted it. I've heard so many good and bad things about Verizon, I have Cincy Bell and it would be great if only their customer service was better. I heard Cricket is pretty good but thats just what I've heard.

Kevin1989
02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I've been with Sprint fr 4-5 years now and i'm really happy with them. No cell phone companies are perfect but i've found I like sprint better than the rest. I'm constantly using the internet on the phone, along with 4000+ texts and probably 4500+ minutes a month so i ask alot out of a phone, lol.

+1 they havecome along way i have had them for like 6 years i think, i have a sweet phone and no data plan, only 3 or 4 of sprints phones require a data plan i think.

cobra429boss
02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
verizon cost too much and sucks, sprint is good

black90lx
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
i got verizon and the motorola droid and have to carry the special data plan. my bill is around $110 a month. lol

RACEME
02-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I have been with Verizon since they bought cellular one. Not always happy, but the customer service is decent. I have the 4 phone plan with unlimited texting on all and the data plan on my droid. It is about $150 a month. Keep in mind they have two data plans depending on the phone. Some are $10 a month and some are $30.

juiced
02-08-2010, 08:18 AM
i have had verizon for eight years and the last year or so they have gone to hell and a hand basket with customer service skills.

SlowRS
02-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I will never use sprint again, since they tried to charge me an early term fee even though I was out of my contract. They said it auto renews, which is not the case.

I am with verizon now because that is the only carrier that gives me service in every part of WV that I go to.

jdubya
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Basically any touch screen phone is going to require a data package. I see this being where all phones are going to go eventually. Verizon has the best network over the rest. We have 1000+ phones in the field and hands down Verizon is the best from a coverage standpoint and service. AT&T and Sprint are a joke. We've spent the last year porting our remaining employee's over to Verizon.

Edit, almost forgot the recommendation.

Buy a not so cool phone and forget the data package or quit being a tight ass and pay the $30 for all the cool features you'll get by getting data. :)

Also, get something with the Androis OS on it (Droid, Eris, whatever).

bestracing
02-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I will never use sprint again, since they tried to charge me an early term fee even though I was out of my contract.
Same here and they also wanted to charge me a connection fee because I wanted a different phone. What connection fee, I'm already on the plan :confused:

Pitbull1052
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Tmobile has several touch screen phones that you don't have to have a data plan on.... I have a samsung highlight and like it alot....

05yellowgt
02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
It's not so much that Verizon is requiring you to get a data plan as that any of the "decent" phones these days require it. It will be the same thing for any other carrier you go to.

TZ250
02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Buy a not so cool phone and forget the data package or quit being a tight ass and pay the $30 for all the cool features you'll get by getting data. :)

I wish that I could. I'm unemployed. I'm broke! :D

As for Sprint, I spent many hours arguing with them on the phone when I used their service. Never again. AT&T doesn't have the coverage that Verizon does.

After shopping various websites, I now realize that I can't beat Verizon's price for there service, text or coverage. Cincinatti Bell charges $0.20 per text. That alone would cause me to go bankrupt! :lol:

In the end, I'll probably drop down one plan, buy the LG enV Touch, and the $10 data package that goes with it.

billy69mach
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
i have had sprint for 8 or so years and im about to change they are a rip off you got to watch them close they like to sneak stuff in on your bill

347sc
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
For what its worth Walmart.com has the Droid for $99 with a 2 year renewal.

BigBadStang
02-08-2010, 10:08 PM
The only phone(s) Verizon requires a data plans on are any of the 'smart' phones. I just got my son an LG enV touch w/o data no problem.

redfirepearlgt
02-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Also, get something with the Androis OS on it (Droid, Eris, whatever).

Well not everybody is loaded down with cash so they can enjoy such trivial "cool features". I personally can find better things to do with $360.00 per year (that's $30 per month X 12) than to merely be "more accessible". Let's see, $360.00 per year would equate to a month's payment on a really nice car (I buy used I'm a tight ass), it would buy 9 tanks of 93 octane (I am NOT tight assed when it comes to gas for the GT), or a pair of M/T Street ET's (they say these will make your ass tight when they hook off the line), a down payment on cams for the 3V (tight ass pucker value there), a nice weekend with the MRS. (she likes my tight ass LOL!), half a month's house payment (for those of us poor tight asses), a few year's supply of toilet paper (I like to keep my tight ass clean), 6-8 weeks worth of groceries (thats really eating well for a tight ass), etc. So put into context that $30 bucks is better spent on things other than cool features and instant accessibility by my tightass way of thinking. I am just not that important. I just want a nice phone to talk on that isn't three inches thick. :):):)

TZ250
02-09-2010, 12:32 AM
The only phone(s) Verizon requires a data plans on are any of the 'smart' phones. I just got my son an LG enV touch w/o data no problem.

I've spoke with Verizon Wireless reps. three times in the last three days. They all maintained that the LG enV Touch MUST have a data package. No exceptions.

RACEME
02-09-2010, 07:39 AM
I've spoke with Verizon Wireless reps. three times in the last three days. They all maintained that the LG enV Touch MUST have a data package. No exceptions.

Yes that is correct, there are three of the second tier phones that require the $10/month data plan. The smart phones require the $30/month plan. One of the others is the samsung rogue. I would wait on the enV touch. It is being obsoleted and will have a new version out in the next month or so.

I am getting ready to upgrade my 17yo daughter, so I have done alot of research.

RACEME
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM

They just changed that a few weeks ago. Can't get it without the data anymore.

RACEME
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Make sure you shop around. Best buy, walmart, and amazon will all have different deals than the standard Verizon store. Also check to see if your company gets a discount. GE gets me 22% off my bill and 35% off accessories. That is really nice.

BigBadStang
02-10-2010, 07:55 PM
They just changed that a few weeks ago. Can't get it without the data anymore.

OK, that explains it then.