PDA

View Full Version : Short Belt Size??

blowncobra
02-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey guy it's been a while since i've ran a short belt on anything. Does anyone know what size belts for a fox bypassing the ac,ps and smog and the size just for the ac and ps?

k062693w
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Here you go !!!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff282/k062693w/Tech_50belts.jpg

blowncobra
02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks man. I wonder what size it would take to bypass the smog,ac.and ps all 3 together? I didn't see a diagram for that setup above. I have done this before but it's been 10 years ago or or more and I forget the size!

k062693w
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks man. I wonder what size it would take to bypass the smog,ac.and ps all 3 together? I didn't see a diagram for that setup above. I have done this before but it's been 10 years ago or or more and I forget the size!

:confused: I don't think you can do that ??? Because of rotation you would still need an eliminator pulley to keep the rotation, So you would use the size with the A/C ??? Which would be the 70.5"

blowncobra
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
:confused: I don't think you can do that ??? Because of rotation you would still need an eliminator pulley to keep the rotation, So you would use the size with the A/C ??? Which would be the 70.5"

Huh I could of swore I ran that set-up back in the day when street racing. Damn i'm getting old!!

Metcalf Racing
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Must cars are different but with a stock pulley its 41-44in and with an underdrive its somewhere around 37-39. Best thing to do it drive to autozone and just keep trying them till you find it. Take the top bolt out of the alt and use it to tighten your belt. Those numbers will get you close

blowncobra
02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Yea taking it to the parts store is def the best idea. The problem is I have this car bought in Columbus and he doesn't live around a parts store and the ps pump is froze up on the car and the ac has been removed. I'm just trying to avoid having to trailer this car over a simple belt situation. Thanks for the info guys!!

Metcalf Racing
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
If it has a stock crank pulley, buy the 41 and adjust the slack with the alt and you'll be fine

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
I went through a huge ordeal with belts when i swapped over my 351 heads. I was under the impression that maybe the holes where in different places on those heads which changed the length of the belt...not so. Here's a copy/paste of another thread i made which explains.

Well, i figured i'd post this because a lot of belt length questions get posted and since pretty much everyone uses them, it's worth looking into.

Last autumn, i swapped on my Windsor heads and X cam. When the swap was done, my belt was WAY too long. At the time i blamed this on the possibility that the holes in those 40 year old heads were drilled in a slightly different location than the '85 heads that i had been using. No big deal, bought a shorter belt.

Now, i just finished my 347 and got it all together....with the SAME heads. I go to put the same belt on that came off (the one i had just bought) and now it's TOO LONG. Ok, are my heads shrinking or what? This time around, i figured that since i had bought a new water pump that maybe the location of the pulley was slightly different and just enough to change the belt path. So, off to buy another belt i go....i get one that's only a half inch shorter because the belt will go on but it rubs at the tensioner/water pump.

So i come home with the shorter belt, go to put it on and i'm shocked because this one is way way way too short. Ok...so lets try the one that was just 1/2 inch too long...nope...too short. Ok...wtf? So we dig out the collection of belts laying around the garage and find one that fits...and it's the one that was originally on my car before i did the Windsor head swap to begin with....i was back at the beginning.

Now...why did this happen? Well, turns out that there's enough slop in the FRPP A/C delete kit's bolt holes that if you loosen the brackets or take it off and put it back on in a slightly different position, it throws off your belt length and could be as much as 2 inches total! So...just something to think about the next time you're playing with your belts. If you find that you're inbetween belt lengths or that your tensioner is "bottoming out", you may wanna loosen your PS bracket and pry it over to the driver's side and tighten it back down and that'll take up a huge amount of slack in your belt. I would suspect that the alt. bracket is the same way.

outlaw85
02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
The easiest way we always come up with belt length is to take a string and wrap around where you want the belt to go, mark it with a marker, and then measure the length! Works everytime!!!

87stangbbb
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
The easiest way we always come up with belt length is to take a string and wrap around where you want the belt to go, mark it with a marker, and then measure the length! Works everytime!!!
that does make alot of sense.lol

87stangbbb
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
that does make alot of sense.lol

blowncobra
02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will just take a few different lengths with me and should be fine I guess but will take along some string as well. Just didin't feel like stopping at the gas pump every 4 miles with the truck and trailer!!

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
That's the way i've always done it, or use an old belt and cut it. But trust me...if you haven't tightened down the brackets yet or if you've just had them off and you tighten them down in a different position, things can get thrown off pretty bad. It's also gives you a little play if your belt is a little too tight or too loose.

Steves LX
02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I run a short belt at the track and I run underdrive pullies and I run a 37.5". It goes around my crank and alt. and the back side hits the WP.

1baddlx
02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
i actually hauled my car to autozone once and fitted a belt that way lol back when gas was cheaper:lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I drove mine to autozone once without a belt...it's probably 4 miles away. It didn't even get to operating temps before i got there.