PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GT500 Gains 10 Horsepower, Sheds 120 Pounds!

BigBadStang
02-11-2010, 07:44 AM
"We’ve been anxiously waiting for Ford to unveil details on the new GT500. While the 2011 Mustang GT got an all new engine, details regarding the GT500 model were surprisingly mum. But no more. Ford has finally lifted the veil on its ultimate performance machine, and the Blue Oval has listened to the people, granting them many of the improvements they had long clamored for.

Autoblog was on hand for the official unveiling, which included the announcement that the GT500 has shed 120 pounds of weight while gaining 10 horsepower over the 2010 version.

The biggest change is one we already knew about from leaked order forms; the aluminum engine block. Making the change to the aluminum block represents a big step up for the GT500, which many automotive outlets derided as nose-heavy and a poor handler. The new block is 102 pounds lighter than the 2010 iron block (which was used because Ford realizes many people race the hell outta these cars). The other 18 pounds in weight savings came from lighter wheels that are part of the SVT performance package.

The new aluminum block engine gained 10 horsepower over the 2010 model thanks in large part to a bigger intercooler and headers borrowed from the 5.0 engine. SVT also figured out a way to stiffen up the convertible, making it a more capable performance model rather than just a cruiser. The lighter weight has helped the 2011 GT500 drop as much as three seconds off its lap times at a certain track, and it even managed to up its fuel economy to 15 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. That means for 2011, the GT500 avoids the dreaded $1,000 “gas guzzler tax”."

Mista Bone
02-11-2010, 08:09 AM
The lighter weight has helped the 2011 GT500 drop as much as three seconds off its lap times at a certain track

Had more to with tire compound.......not weight.

BigBadStang
02-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I can see where taking over 100 lbs off the front wouldn't have much of an effect on lap times. :rolleyes:

04 Venom
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
100 lbs. off the nose makes a huge difference going around the twisties.

winner70ta
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I've been reading posts how the cylinders are not steel sleeved but have been treated the way many current bike engines are being done. Apparently that is all well and good until it is time to hone or bore the cylinders which equals big $$$. If you can afford one maybe that extended warranty would be a really good thing to have ;).

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I'll trade my left nut and a banshee for that engine

Ranger50
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I've been reading posts how the cylinders are not steel sleeved but have been treated the way many current bike engines are being done. Apparently that is all well and good until it is time to hone or bore the cylinders which equals big $$$. If you can afford one maybe that extended warranty would be a really good thing to have ;).

This is the old plasma spraybore stuff they tinkered with a decade ago. I *think* you can hone the bore, but you are just removing the old piston material from it, not making it bigger. You would chew through stones to just get .001" out of the bore. but I am sure if the aftermarket will probably devise a way to sleeve it, unless the bore walls are paper thin.

satan jamez
02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll trade my left nut and a banshee for that engine

I'll trade my right nut and my quad and we can share the engine?

Squale iii
02-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Had more to with tire compound.......not weight.

Ya, b/c I'm sure that would make a legit comparison if you race one car on street tires and another on DR's....