PDA

View Full Version : Question about sparkplug wires...

mustanger
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I started up my mustang last night after about 2 weeks of it just sitting and to clear the snow off it...it took me several times to finally get it started and idling but what I noticed was my inside lights would keep dimming and getting bright. Then I started hearing some sort of chirping from under the hood, I got out and popped the hood, couldn't see what was causing the so called chirp I was hearing but could still hear it.
After looking around trying to narrow the search I saw a sparkplug wire just hanging there, if your standing in front of the motor it was the front right plug, I don't know the numbers(sparkplug1,2,3 etc.) it was a short wire from the cap to the plug. After burning my finger and wrist trying to put it back on I decided to wait til today to reconnect it. I put it back on but couldn't feel a snap like when your trying to reconnect the wire to the plug.
My question is, can a wire just pop off or work itself loose? And could that have been causing my lights to act wierd and idle rough?

03z06vette
02-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Good question, i bet the chirp is the belt. not out of the ordinary when somthing has been sitting outsided in the cold. like a flat spot on a tire. if u let it get to temp for a while i bet it goes away. the plug wire, never had one come off id check the wire for dry rot or the metal clip inside the boot. it may have some corrosion. the fluctuation of the lights is the voltage regulator inc and dec charging voltage. did u have to jump start it?

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
It was definitely why it took so long to start and why it idled rough...you only had 7 cylinder firing since the 8th one wasn't connected. Pull that one back off and look down inside the end of it and make sure the little metal loop down inside of it is lined up good with the hole so it snaps over the end of the spark plug. I've had some twist so that the loop wasn't lined up right and that made them a real paint to connect.

mustanger
02-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Good question, i bet the chirp is the belt. not out of the ordinary when somthing has been sitting outsided in the cold. like a flat spot on a tire. if u let it get to temp for a while i bet it goes away. the plug wire, never had one come off id check the wire for dry rot or the metal clip inside the boot. it may have some corrosion. the fluctuation of the lights is the voltage regulator inc and dec charging voltage. did u have to jump start it?

It started up without jumping it...the carb that's on it isn't adjusted, so I was told of the rough idle...the boot looked good and reconnected, I felt a slight snap when connecting it...though it wasn't a positive snap...but I ran it tonight, the lights didn't go to dim then back to normal...stayed lit like it's suppose to be, except when I kick on the fan for the heater, that's when I'll notice the lights will dim just a bit...but after running it around erlanger for a few it seemed to idle a little better and run a little better....it's in the plans to get a new set of wires and plugs, I'm not sure how old the ones that are on it. They don't seem to be very old...and that chirping type of sound I noticed last night wasn't there after I reconnected the plug wire :bigthumb

I still have to get the original carb back on it which is sitting in my trunk, the guy I got it off of said it would idle just fine after a cold start with the other carb...just gotta find someone to help show me how it goes on and stuff...still learning;)

mustanger
02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
It was definitely why it took so long to start and why it idled rough...you only had 7 cylinder firing since the 8th one wasn't connected. Pull that one back off and look down inside the end of it and make sure the little metal loop down inside of it is lined up good with the hole so it snaps over the end of the spark plug. I've had some twist so that the loop wasn't lined up right and that made them a real paint to connect.

Ok...I'll do that tomorrow when I have some light...no garage here kinda sucks:(