PDA

View Full Version : Wet kit questions...

INSANEBA
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
So I just bought a wet kit for my stock gt motor. Well stock minus the mods done in my build thread. I have a few questions before I throw it on and get it set up though. I have pills up to 175hp, but plan on pilling it at 150 for this year. First, should I run the fuel solenoid line to the regulator or the schrader valve on the fuel line? And why? Second, how much timing should I run in it to not detonate, and third I cant remember but I'll post as soon as I do lol. Any help and advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

INSANEBA
02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Anyone have an opinion?

black90lx
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
i always started with 8-10 degrees of timing. that is where the fuel supply should be is off the shradder valve/ the stock fuel pump will handle up to a 150 shot.

Jeff88coupe
02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
-use the schrader valve for fuel. I'd really upgrade the stock fuel pump for cheap insurance.
-pull 2 degrees of timing for every 50hp worth of nitrous you spray
-run at least 93 octane fuel...maybe mix in a few gallons of either 100 unleaded (if you can find it) or 110 leaded race fuel (turbo blue/sunoco/cam 2)
-for stock E7 heads..I use autolight 24's up to a 100 shot...then 23's for a 150 shot.
-work your way up with the amount of nitrous you spray..start at 50-75..make sure everything is safe with your tuneup.
-get a set of sticky tires for the track....nitrous + stock tires = worthless
-think about getting a window switch to use with your kit. Good insurance to protect against a backfire if you miss a shift or bog the motor to much on launch.

black90lx
02-17-2010, 01:12 PM
i had a digital window switch on mine. i had it set where i could hold on to the button while i was up on the converter and as soon as i let go of the brake it would start spraying. my converter stalled at 3500rpm and the window switch was set to start spraying at 3700rpm.

INSANEBA
02-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Sweet! I have a 255lph pump to throw in and a Holley adjustable reg too. What kind of fitting did you use to run into the schrader and where did you get it at? I'll get a set of 23's today for the install too! As for the tires, she's sitting on 275/60/15 DR's right now so hope those hook for me. So pull 6 degrees total out for a 150 shot?

zlou363lx
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
those tires should be good for it. i got a kit with a fitting to get fuel from the schrader valve. it has i think a 1/8" fitting and goes into braided line to the plate/nozzle. but the size should be 1/8" for you. i'll get a pick tonight when i get home if no one else has chimed in on that.

black90lx
02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
you can get the fitting from jegs, just call them and tell them what your doin. i'll see if i got one and if i do you can have it. i would set your timming at 8 degrees and start from there. i have seen people spray a 150 with 12 degrees of timming. just listen for any detonation,pinging,knocking or anything of that sort..

INSANEBA
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I actually called Jegs today and ordered the fitting for $5.99, and a spark plug indexing kit for $14.99. I have everything I think I'll need, so I'm deffinitely gonna be trying all this advice as soon as the weather breaks!!! Oh I'm sooo stoked!

Jeff88coupe
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Oh..what ignition are you running? If stock..gap the plugs ~.030"...if aftermarket (msd,ect.)...035"

INSANEBA
02-17-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm runing stock right now, but am working a deal out on a 6al as we speak. What kinda set-up's do you guys do for a cool purge outlet on the car? What parts do I need to gather to dump it at the wiper cowl?

Jeff88coupe
02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I just used a NOS purge kit....have my solinoids mounted on the firewall..just ran the purge line up to the cowl area. Kit comes with a short discharge tube...but you can use copper or metal brake line tube if you need a longer piece.

INSANEBA
02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Looks like 3/16 air line with a few brass fittings. Hmm, gears are turning... Might as well do a dual outlet for the cool factor lol

black90lx
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
if its not a hard line you better secure the end good because it will fly everywhere when you purge it. i know from experience

INSANEBA
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Oh I will lol, I've had bad experiences with high pressure hoses getting loose from my hands! Did you just drill through your cowl and dump them there?

black90lx
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
i put mine through the firewall and up through the blackgrate on the cowl. i wouldn't spray it till atleast second on those tires or roll out in first and try it. it will blow them off if you spray it off the line and probably hit the rev limiter, have a nitrous backfire and blow a headgasket.

INSANEBA
02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Lol kinda what I had in mind. Sounds like you've experienced this before? lol

black90lx
02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
yup a few times. i have had ones that have bent the cold pipe that bends and goes into the fender well, blew the hood up and shot flames up the window. a buddy in my coupe that tried to spray it shifting from first to second blew my intake pipe apart between the maf and throttle body and it looked like it blew my hood off. it sounded like a bomb went off. i'm not going to mention any names but he is on here. lmao

black90lx
02-18-2010, 08:34 PM
my car felt like it lost alot of power one time and i pulled out 4 melted plugs. they where missing half the porcelon that goes down in the middle of the plug and the hook lookin part. it was pretty funny though

INSANEBA
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Lol well I got Autoight 23's today, coldest set they have, and I'm gonna do the 2 degrees for every 50 hp too. When the weather gets decent, I'm gonna pill it from 50 up and make sure it's safe... Shoud I get an MSD asap?

93notch
02-22-2010, 07:40 PM
yes. and stick with the autolites. theyre nitrous friendly. ....as in ..you'll melt them before you melt the motor. accells, ngk s , and so on dont work that way. i ran a 350 shot thru my bb in my bronco for 6 months at a time on ar32s with no problem. after about 6 months you could start to feel the power drop off a bit. new set and back to breakin seat backs again. also i ran a msd 3 stage timing controler. they make a 2 stage also i believe with a built in start retard feature. nice part to have. you dont have to use all the different stages. just put a 0 degree pil in the ones u dont use. plug in the degree pill for how much retard u want and wire it to ur sol. activation switch and your right on ur timing every time and not runnin sluggish prior to juicin it. the other thing to remember is that a cold plug will foul much sooner and easier than the stock one when ur not sprayin so dont go too crazy with the heat range . ive run 100 shot thru a good set of stock heat range autolite plugs with no problem. whatever you do any wayyou go you have to read your plugs after a full throttle run. thats the only way ur gonna actually know whats goin on. read ALL of em too...dont get lazy. could bite ya ! later red rocket!! lol

INSANEBA
02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Lol well thanks for the advice Jay, I'm gonna get a set of 24's too, just to ahve them. I'm gonna scoop a msd this week, and will be looking into that retard set-up. Hmm, first time I ever had to spend money to be retarded lmao! Dont worry Jay, it wont be the red rocket for too long!

INSANEBA
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Window switch and msd 6a scored!

black90lx
03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
it will run fatter in the summer if you tune it while it is cold out. just throwin that out there..

INSANEBA
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Fatter meaning ritcher or better?

black90lx
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
yea fatter is richer. it is better but it can hurt it just like being too lean.

INSANEBA
03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Good point, I'll probably be reading my plugs after each time of spraying it though, so hopefully I'd notics that...

inferno50
03-24-2010, 01:07 PM
what rpm do you set the timing at 8 and do you leave the little grey plug out after timing it on a stock dist?

black90lx
03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
what rpm do you set the timing at 8 and do you leave the little grey plug out after timing it on a stock dist?

you set it at idle. pull the little grey plug out buy the dizzy plug, set it at 8deg then put the plug back in.