PDA

View Full Version : auto swap ( I DON'T know autos)

DrkHilndGreen
02-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a 91 GT with a regular 5 speed. The transmission is in ROUGH shape and my dad has an 89 AOD in the garage that is supposed to be in great shape.

For money reasons, I would like to swap the slushbox in for the time being before I can afford a new 5 speed/ or a rebuild.

Is there a detailed thread that someone can direct me to that describes everything I need to do to accomplish this swap? Otherwise can someone lay out a list of TO DO's for this swap (parts, hardware, etc.). I believe he has the correct torque converter already and the transmission. We have an aftermarket B&M shifter that someone left us back in the day, but have no idea how to install it right now.

Thanks!
JR

87stangbbb
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
that should slow your car down.lol

mustang8998
02-19-2010, 11:27 PM
You'll need a 164 tooth (50oz balance) flex plate, larger size block plate, trans fluid cooler and lines. You my have to mess with the transmission cross member, or buy a new one.

I'm not sure about the length, of the AOD (I did a C-4), so I can't tell you if your drive shaft will work. Mine did.

You may need to remove the pilot bearing (I had to), but again, I'm not sure, on an AOD.

Also, with the AOD, you will have to have a TV cable (so you can watch HBO, LOL). This is a must, as not having one, will burn up the transmission, so I'm told (again, not needed, on my C-4).

I can't think of anything else. You'll want to block off the shifter hole, just a small piece of sheet metal will do the trick. And, if you plan on a trip to the track, make sure the neutral safety switch works.

Good Luck!

CNTLOSE
02-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Honestly it would be easier if you found a used T5 for the time being. The can usually be picked up for a couple hundred bucks or less. The time, effort, and money you will spend taking it to an AOD will not be worth it.

WYLDFANTASYX
02-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Honestly it would be easier if you found a used T5 for the time being. The can usually be picked up for a couple hundred bucks or less. The time, effort, and money you will spend taking it to an AOD will not be worth it.

I 100 percent agree with this statement... its so not worth it you will regret it afterwards and I am not just talking about how slow the car will be ( it will feel like putting 2.55 gears or similar) I am just talking about all the BS you have to deal with... even if you have the time you will still need parts I think.

For one you need to check to see if your 5 speed radiator has the ability to have the tranny lines connected to it (the radiator is a shared unit in the auto cars) and also I think you may have to change computers but I am not sure I have only taken autos out of mustangs not put many in.

Also isn't there different wiring that goes to the transmission? You will have to check on that.

k062693w
02-21-2010, 05:13 PM

I 100 percent agree with this statement... its so not worth it you will regret it afterwards and I am not just talking about how slow the car will be ( it will feel like putting 2.55 gears or similar) I am just talking about all the BS you have to deal with... even if you have the time you will still need parts I think.

For one you need to check to see if your 5 speed radiator has the ability to have the tranny lines connected to it (the radiator is a shared unit in the auto cars) and also I think you may have to change computers but I am not sure I have only taken autos out of mustangs not put many in.

Also isn't there different wiring that goes to the transmission? You will have to check on that.

Or you can watch this AOD car going 10's leaving it in Drive !!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAAKfv96ShQ

Rich
02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Aaron,

Everyone knows that AODs can't run that fast!

331TwistedWedge
02-21-2010, 06:00 PM
i dont care if an aod could do 7's ... they are boringgggggggggggggggggggggg ... :lol:

DrkHilndGreen
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the responses. So money wise do you think it would be cheaper to find another used T5?

I'm not saying I WANT to do the swap. It's a money thing right now, I'm a grad student at the University of Dayton.

A friend might have one that is used (a T5), but in decent shape for around 200 or 250... more worth it?

mustang8998
02-22-2010, 02:29 AM
i dont care if an aod could do 7's ... they are boringgggggggggggggggggggggg ... :lol:

Yeah, tell me about it. It gets real boring, winning rounds against stick cars! :flipoff:

Thanks for the responses. So money wise do you think it would be cheaper to find another used T5?

I'm not saying I WANT to do the swap. It's a money thing right now, I'm a grad student at the University of Dayton.

A friend might have one that is used (a T5), but in decent shape for around 200 or 250... more worth it?

So you're a college student, huh? I laid out for you, most of the necessary parts, to complete the swap. You surely can figure out, the most economical route to take, right?

Stick cars are fun, sure. I have both. If you like shifting, by all means, have at it. I drive a truck, for a living and all I do, is shift gears. Getting in a car and shifting more, isn't very appealing to me. My '89 was the car I converted to auto and it is more consistent and quicker, in the 1/4 mile. I think your goal, is to keep it a stick, so I would just do whatever you could, to avoid the change over.

Again, Good Luck!

Dirtyd0g
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
With a stock aod I am sure you will slow the car down. On the other hand if the aod were done right it would be considerably faster and more reliable than any t5 ever will be. TV pressure adjustment on an aod is critical. it must be 31-34 psi idling warm in neutral with the gauge block installed.
Alan

331TwistedWedge
02-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah, tell me about it. It gets real boring, winning rounds against stick cars! :flipoff:

i will put curt dog in his stick car against your automatic ... $100 says he wins 8 out of 10 against you and i dont even know you ...

all i have to say is ((YAWN)) wake me up when we cross the line :lol::lol::lol:

CNTLOSE
02-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Yeah, you are much better off finding a used T5. Try to find one in a car that is being parted out but is still driveable...to check and make sure it is in good shape. Even if you had to spend $300-$350 it will be worth it for the time and money you will spend going AOD. Heck sell the AOD to help fund a T5.

mustang8998
02-26-2010, 11:22 PM
i will put curt dog in his stick car against your automatic ... $100 says he wins 8 out of 10 against you and i dont even know you ...

all i have to say is ((YAWN)) wake me up when we cross the line :lol::lol::lol:

Well, I'll put my best friends auto, against your boy friends stick, for $1000! :rolleyes:

See, boring. Curt is a good driver, I know that, but how many "outta 10", can YOU take?

DrkHilndGreen
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks I took your advice and went with the 5 speed. It was worth the money, and now that it has the correct pilot bearing (thanks PO...) it runs like a dream.

CNTLOSE
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks I took your advice and went with the 5 speed. It was worth the money, and now that it has the correct pilot bearing (thanks PO...) it runs like a dream.

Good to hear :bigthumb