PDA

View Full Version : $155 for plug wires? Hype or legit?

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-25-2010, 09:10 AM
The guys on the Merkur forum where talking these wires up like there's nothing else like them. Is it hot air or are they really worth the price? I've been running some 8mm Taylor Spiro Pro's for about 6 years and i've noticed a couple cracks in the silicone so i think it's time to change them. I'm not sure i can justify that kind of price though.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Magnecor/Ignition/Spark_Plug_Wires/R-100_10mm/2701

2Kblacksleeper
02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I like the Fire Core 50's. They are on upr's website. I'd link it but I can't from my phone.

I think they are good wires and a little Less also.

John

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I've never had any complaints about my Taylor's. I do remember reading an article years ago about a test they did on a bunch of brands, they were testing resistance. The MSD wires turned out to be the least restrictive of the bunch. I wonder if that still holds true? I only paid $54 for my Taylor's at Speed Freaks back when they were open.

1baddlx
02-25-2010, 09:44 AM
travis from speed freaks used to highly reccomend the taylor thundervolt series wires ,they were supposed to have the least resistance at the time.i couldnt manage to pay 120 for them at the time

mailman
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
The '67 has Taylors on it- going on 4 years. Still juicy, even where they are close to the headers.

redfirepearlgt
02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a gimmick to me to some degree. There is some truth to the hype behind it, but there are many other factors to weigh into the equation. Without upgrading the current electrical output you would likely see nothing beyond reduced noise in your stereo (assuming you are not currently experiencing misfire issues or spark noise in your music system). There could be an advantage if you were running a very high output after market spark system that was prematurely breaking down your current wires and causing misfires. In that case the reduced resistance created by the larger wound steel core would provide better path for potential to the sprak plug and result in less breakdown through the insulation of the wire to the block. Other that that I would stick with what you know works. Just my opinion based on a little general electrical theory 101.

Stangman
02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
My dad has had Taylors on his Fairlane for MANY years... as long as I can remember, and they are still in excellent shape. The ends dont effin break like MSD's

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Mine would still be fine if not for the cracks in the silicone. I'm not sure what caused that.

redfirepearlgt
02-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Mine would still be fine if not for the cracks in the silicone. I'm not sure what caused that.

Likely guess would be age and heat. Any chance you have ever used armour all or any other type of cleaner on them to detail the engine bay? That could be the cause as well, not saying that tit is but it could contribute to it. Taylor has a good rep from what I understand and has been araound for years. I would say that six years for any spark plug wire is getting your money's worth.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Now that you mention it i think i did clean them once but i don't remember what i used to wipe them down. It may have been engine degreaser (i remember taking them out and wiping them down, not just spraying the crap out of them). I guess that's probably the cause. I figured being silicone they could handle it. I would definitely buy another set though, i figure 6 years i got my moneys worth.

Anyone think it'd be beneficial to step up to 9mm? What about the 10mm Thundervolts?

Gearhead559
02-27-2010, 12:59 PM
i got 11mm on mine..i love them.

i always prefer to build my plug wires for a better fit

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah i'm definitely going with the cut-to-fit kind this time around.