PDA

View Full Version : License plate question...

Stangman
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Okay so does anyone know how to find out what license plate was on a car at any period in time? Is there such a way to find this info?

Ohio have anyway of looking stuff like that up? by VIN number maybe? I'm only the 3rd owner of this car so maybe the history isnt far gone?

My plan is to get an original '77 Ohio plate for my Mustang II and have the original plate number on it from when my Grandma had it back in '77...

Markcore
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Man that sounds cool. I'd start at the Columbus DMV, but they aren't the nicest people in town. Good luck!

sean
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I would start, face to face, early in the morning with your local bmv. Tell them your story and I bet those ladies will do all they can to help you. Other than that try to find old picks of the car. My liscense and title dept know me when I walk in and they treat me very nice.

Stangman
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I cant find any pictures that had the license plate in it... I realllllyyy wanna do this. If you have the historical plates in the car if you get pulled over it is 100% legal to have your "vintage" plate on the car.

Next I think I'll get a '65 Ohio plate for dads fairlane

sean
03-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Technically historic plates are cheaper and last longer than a year. BUT you only supposed to drive to car a certain amount of miles a year and thats supposed to be to and from shows and cruises and parades. I dont think its enforced to much though.

Gearhead
03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Have any copies of the old registration papers ?? Plate # should be on there...

Stangman
03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Have any copies of the old registration papers ?? Plate # should be on there...

Thats what I thought I'd look for... but I cant find much on it

DeckerEnt
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Saw a plate in a magazine once. It was a cali plate but was half new style, half old style. The old black with yellow letters/numbers. Looked pretty cool.