PDA

View Full Version : Yet another stero question I have

306Power
03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
So I've decided I might as well go ahead and get a decent sub and 4 or 5 channel amp for the car. I have Infinity Kappa Components in the front and Infinity Kappa Coaxials for the rear. What I want to do is amp the front two component speakers and bridge the other two channels into one 10" sub in the rear. I'm just not to sure on which sub and amp to get for my set up I'm not looking for anything over the top, just something decent. Here's the two I had in mind.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17416_Infinity+KAPPA+FIVE.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8953_Rockford+Fosgate+Punch+P3D410.html

I'm really not sure if these are the best for my set-up, just what I thought seemed the best when I was browsing. Any advice on these two or another two I should look at instead would be great, I'm still trying to get the basics down of car audio. Thanks for any help.

redfirepearlgt
03-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Inifnity kappa series speakers are 2ohm impedance speakers. Most speakers are 4 ohm. This means that you can use any amplifier that is 2ohm stable in stereo mode. The amplifilier you have chosen fits that category. i would consider staying with an infinity brand sub woofer so that the sound quality stays balanced. Go with a dual voice coil 4ohm which can be wired 2 ohm (4 ohm - 4 ohm in parallell) which will give you the added benefit of extrapower from the mono channel in 2 ohm mono. The amp you have chosen is a five channel. use the passive crossovers with the front component speakers so that you can amplify all four channels. This will give you maximum sound fill andsound quality and make the best use ofthe power availablefrom this amplifier.

Hope this helps you out. PS - I am not sure about the newer punch series subs but rockford was known in the past for not being the most efficient sub on the market. They demnded alot of power to make a decent sound. usually much more thatn the 300 watts that you would have available from this amplifier.

Last - to get the most from the subwoofer you choose to go with make sure that you properly size the sub to the box you put it in. Many times people just through a sub in a box and then wonder why it does not sound right. Proper sizing makes all the difference. would also recommend going ported on your setup as well vice sealed enclosure. This makes better use of the wattage. have a good day.

Mista Bone
03-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Also, if you need a box built, there is a guy on CSS that does great work.

pioneer saturn is his user name.

306Power
03-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get an Infinity sub then. Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. There is already a custom sub box mounted under the carpet in the hatch, not sure if it's good work or not though.

Mista Bone
03-12-2010, 06:01 AM
check out the box first then, the figure it's volume.

You can't just go slapping a sub in any old box and expect it to work.

Like slapping 4.000" slugs down a 4.030"......doesn't work very good, but it'll still run, like crap!

Pitbull1052
03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I've had a lot of subs Memphis, JL you name it and best bang for the buck imo is Diamond I like 10's best, but I had two diamond 10's I have a book somewhere that gives you all the math to figure the volume of your car and what size box to make, it hit so hard you could feel the air move in the car with the windows up

306Power
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I'll figure out the volume of the box tomorrow then, good thing I didn't just buy some random sub and tossed it in there lol.

Pitbull1052
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
you need to do some figuring depending on how you want it to sound here's some good reading.......

http://www.clubknowledge.com/Car_Audio_FAQ/?t30

Pitbull1052
03-12-2010, 02:35 PM
here's a good site for how to on building a box just the basics, I think i'm going to make a custom fiberglass one next time

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9232046/How-To-Build-A-Subwoofer-Box

redfirepearlgt
03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I've had a lot of subs Memphis, JL you name it and best bang for the buck imo is Diamond I like 10's best, but I had two diamond 10's I have a book somewhere that gives you all the math to figure the volume of your car and what size box to make, it hit so hard you could feel the air move in the car with the windows up

Diamond is my choice as well when talking high end. Since this guy however is using infinity and appears to be on a somewhat conservative budget I steered him in the direction of sticking with same brand equipment. You are correct, Diamond is a very good line of epuipment. I love their stuff, they are a nice step up even with respect to the D3 series however. I do not see the point of spending more money for high end Subs when you are running middle line infinity setup. Not that infinity is low end by any means. They are a very nice middle line name brand. I would use them or polk audio with any standard build, but if going for high end staging and SQ, I would run Diamond or Boston Acoustic throughout and an eclipse head unit. Have a great day.

Mista Bone
03-12-2010, 11:52 PM
here's a good site for how to on building a box just the basics, I think i'm going to make a custom fiberglass one next time

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9232046/How-To-Build-A-Subwoofer-Box

If you're gonna glass a box, make friends with someone that works at FibreGlas Evercoat. My ex's second husband got me all the supplies I needed except the mat itself.

rapidfire89
03-14-2010, 07:04 AM
what most have said is true. when it comes to the box, no in reality you cant just go slapping any sub in any box. but there is an exception to the rule. if the box is falls below or above what the factory reccomends for enclosure reccomendations it does one of 2 things, smaller - increases power handling, larger decreases power handling. but i have noticed that the factory just gives baseline reccomendations for there subs. and the enclosures dont always sound the greatest. they usually have a very peaky response in a certain frequency range most commonly being in the 45-50hz range. personally i like to have something that has authority from 40-25hz because those are the frequency ranges you commonly go ugh, that sounds like garbage when the bass drops low in a song.

designing a good working box isnt just going with what the factory reccomends you have to figure out how you want it to sound. ive compete in USACi, DBdrag and bass race for a few years now, with my daily drive. a 96 explorer. it has 4 american bass xfl 15's on 2 american bass vfl200.1's each 200.1 with a kinetik2400 for bank power, and 4 runs of 0gauge from the front to the rear, all batteries being power by a ohio generator large case 300amp alternator. car meters 153.9 at the dash sealed up and will blow hair around like crazy windows down to anything with some decent bass at full tilt.

most 10 inch subs work really well in anything from .9 to 1.2 cubic foot sealed. purely because in that small of an eclosure you really have no room to port, for ported 10s work good in 1.8 to 2.3 tuned to around 37hz with roughly 15-20 square inches of port area. 12s usually like 2.5-3.0 tuned to 36hz with 25-30 inches of port area. ive always ran 15s and all my setups worked great on 3.5-4.0 tuned to 40(spl purposes) with 40-50sq inches of port per sub(again spl purposes) my current enclosure lacks on volume at 9.5 cubic foot, but makes up that in port area at just of 130 square inches of port area, tuned at 49hz (an exploreres cabin's resonant frequency peaks at 49hz) and its my loudest setup to date.

deffinitely look into to something that doesnt require too much power. i know the infinity reference woofers work great on 250-350rms personally i wouldnt give them much more, they arent large woofers, and dont eat up box volume, and work very well in sealed applications if installed, tuned, and the woofer has proper phasing in its environment being the trunk. however as mentioned above, diamond isnt a bad choice either, never really dealt with rockford stuff, or jl, but i did manage to make 3 jl 10w0's quite loud in a 2000 gtp.

if you need any help feel freem to pm, or anything i can help you design a box, i have some toys on the computer and can design something and even cad draw it for you. depending on your location id be more than willing to help.

hope this helps.

redfirepearlgt
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey, I just remembered that I have a 12" Infinity reference subwoofer. I used it a very short time in a sealed application and then pulled it out and stored it back in the original box. Let me know if you would want it. I also have a Diamond D-6 12" as well mounted up in a box. PM if interested.

306Power
03-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys, I think I've decided to wait just a bit longer on finishing the stereo. The body work on the car keeps getting more expensive by the weekend than expected since I'm no body guy either lol. I appreciate all the help though and will bring this thread back up to check all the info you all gave out when I do go to finish it.