PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ford Mustang Dominator 14PC Body Kit

busamboy
03-25-2010, 12:32 AM
http://www.fordmustangbodykit.com/Wings-West/Body-Kit/Dominator-14PC-Body-Kit/698/#

I can't seem to get any of the images to work, so I apologize that you have to open the link.

I know most of you guys are all about racing your mustangs while I want to turn mine into more of a beauty than the fastest in town.

Let me know what some of you die hards would feel if you saw this mustang rolling down the street.

Also, I was wondering if there would be any problem putting this on my GT hatchback version. Everywhere it has mustang LX on it, but I imagine it is the same fit for the GT. Is there anyone that can clear me up on this?

Also, does anyone know of a store in the area where I can pick up one a little cheaper than 2,000 dollars?

mustangrfast88
03-25-2010, 12:40 AM
dont take it the wrong way i think it is ugly but each his own and it should work the same way on a gt

busamboy
03-25-2010, 12:50 AM
dont take it the wrong way i think it is ugly but each his own and it should work the same way on a gt

Here it is in blue. What do you feel makes it look ugly? Just the whole thing in general, is it just too flashy? Do you not like body kits at all?

306Power
03-25-2010, 02:03 AM
The kit wouldn't work for a GT unless you change over all the moldings and front and rear bumper covers to LX ones. I'm not a big fan of kits like those at all, especially the wing.

mustangrfast88
03-25-2010, 02:12 AM
i dont like body kits, i mean i like a nice hood and wing setup, that wing dont do it for me and the guy is right i forgot about the moldings and the covers

Pitbull1052
03-25-2010, 08:17 AM
not a fan!

Evil_Capri
03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
If you like it . . . . get it.

I was a big fan of the original JBA Dominator Mustang running a Capri 'bubble-back' at times.

http://www.jbadominator.com/images/Painted-003.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/07/JBA_Dom_Mustang.jpg

redfirepearlgt
03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Uh................................................ ...................Nah! But then again maybe its because I am 45. LOL! Would look nice on a Nissan 350ZX possibly IMO. Just a thought. Too "Fast and Furious for me", but as stated earlier, to each his own. If you like it buy it.

busamboy
03-25-2010, 06:12 PM
The kit wouldn't work for a GT unless you change over all the moldings and front and rear bumper covers to LX ones. I'm not a big fan of kits like those at all, especially the wing.

How much would something like that cost?

busamboy
03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Uh................................................ ...................Nah! But then again maybe its because I am 45. LOL! Would look nice on a Nissan 350ZX possibly IMO. Just a thought. Too "Fast and Furious for me", but as stated earlier, to each his own. If you like it buy it.

Thats funny, cause that is how I see it too. But I grew up in the fast and the furious generation. The first movie came out when I was a sophomore or junior in high school and everyone was doing it to their cars back then. Now I just want to do it because I have never seen a mustang look like this. I wouldn't be racing it. I figured that most would not like it as most of you like the speed of a mustang while I like the brand name of it more. I also like the body style of the Nissan and I can see why you would relate the look to that now that I think about it.

87stangbbb
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
yuck.....

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-25-2010, 07:06 PM
The thing is, 100s of people have bought that kit over the years and you never see them finished....you see them in 5 different colors of primer, half hanging off, listed on ebay because people give up.

If you could pull it off and make it look as nice as the original Dominator, it would at least have a unique aspect to it. Back up the looks with some nasty power under the hood and even the people who think it's stupid looking will respect it. Do what you like, but don't half ass it or you'll be disappointed.

busamboy
03-25-2010, 10:08 PM
The thing is, 100s of people have bought that kit over the years and you never see them finished....you see them in 5 different colors of primer, half hanging off, listed on ebay because people give up.

If you could pull it off and make it look as nice as the original Dominator, it would at least have a unique aspect to it. Back up the looks with some nasty power under the hood and even the people who think it's stupid looking will respect it. Do what you like, but don't half ass it or you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice, I will just be paying someone else to do it, so they better not half fast it.

5.0calypso93lx
03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
No...

04 Venom
03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Doesn't work for me. Too much bulge at the wheel wells and the wing is too much Rice.

306Power
03-26-2010, 02:29 AM
The cost of switching the bumper covers and door moldings over from a GT to an LX really depends on how cheap you can get the parts, look around and you can probably find some used ones on here pretty cheap. Also if you plan on paying someone to do a kit like that your looking at a hefty expense in just labor alone to do it right. You'd have to have the car painted afterwards obviously too. Pretty expensive unless your good friends with a body guy.

Orodi
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!! !!!!!!

87stangbbb
03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
lol......

96SaleenReplica
03-26-2010, 10:01 PM
this kit makes me wanna cry for the poor car that has to face the fact of its owner transforming its already perfect look poor thing.....:(

busamboy
03-27-2010, 04:10 AM
I figured this was the response I would get the most. I honestly do feel bad for wanting to do this to a mustang that you all love in its purest form. I like to be original though. So it matches me. I'm sorry to let you all down.

I guess its too late to ask if anyone around here does body kits?:lol:

busamboy
03-27-2010, 04:14 AM
this kit makes me wanna cry for the poor car that has to face the fact of its owner transforming its already perfect look poor thing.....:(

I also plan on getting the roof chopped off so that it has a removable sun roof type of deal. I don't want t-tops, but I would settle with it if I had too.

But you gotta give me one thing, I will be original with mine. And as someone that doesn't race my car, nor ever plan on racing, that extra bulk is strictly for looks, not for aerodynamics. I think it could look very nice with the kit and the right paint job. Maybe a little too fast and the furious for some of you, but I am 25 after all, and it is something that I have wanted to do since I bought the car 6 years ago.

redfirepearlgt
03-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Hey, just because we aren't all cool with it means you let us down. This world is not a monoflavor ecosystem. There are different strokes for different folks. I am impressed that you are actually doing what YOU want to do with the car. After all a car should reflect its owner's character to some degree. Do it right and thoug hpeople may not care for it they can still respect the color scheme, paint quality, and workmanship. Good on you for not being some forums controlled indvidual that has to follow the crowds opinion on evrything you do to a car. I do suggest either doing some engine work or making it clear she will be a "no go show boat", or you will likely be getting challenged all the time. BTW "no go showboat" is a song by the Beach Boys about a guy who had a really sweet done up ride that looked real fast, but claimed in the song it was so slow he would get beat by the icecream truck. He was cool with his car being slower than it looked though. Just so you understand my reference.

Like others have said. Get it done right and to completion. Last thought. If you wanted to tone it down just a bit, you might see if the read spoiler wing could be cut down a little. Just a thought. Again it is yours. Make it yours. Sorry I am an old set in my ways fart. LOL!

busamboy
03-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Anybody do body work around here? You can pretty much read the thread and get a decent amount of information for what I need. Thx

306Power
03-27-2010, 11:45 AM
PM plated on here.

busamboy
03-27-2010, 12:30 PM
I just don't see how you guys can all hate this. Here is a video about the kit, somewhat. It is basically this kit but with some nicer upgrades.

Here is a video about a 1989 Mustang Dominator. I mean, I know the kit is not exactly like this, but I think the one I am trying to put on looks better than this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/01/ebay-find-of-the-day-1989-mustang-dominator-straight-off-the-c/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/14.jpg

busamboy
03-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Here is another picture and video

http://www.autofiends.com/2009/06/picture-of-the-day-1989-jba-ford-mustang-dominator/

busamboy
03-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Here it is in blue. What do you feel makes it look ugly? Just the whole thing in general, is it just too flashy? Do you not like body kits at all?

I left out the link for it.

http://www.bodykits4me.com/product/2772/Wings_West_Ford_1887-93_Mustang_LX_Dominator_14Pc_Complete_Kit.html

St33da
03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I just don't see how you guys can all hate this. Here is a video about the kit, somewhat. It is basically this kit but with some nicer upgrades.

Here is a video about a 1989 Mustang Dominator. I mean, I know the kit is not exactly like this, but I think the one I am trying to put on looks better than this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/01/ebay-find-of-the-day-1989-mustang-dominator-straight-off-the-c/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/14.jpg

The LRS/jba Dominator car is a good example of a quality wide body build. It seems to fit the fox mustangs better, and its not as ricey as the other dominator kits.I like how the rear part of the wide body doesnt have all those vents and gaps and is a smooth transition to the rear bumper. I say get rid of the shopping cart wing and slap a saleen or steeda areo wing on on that bitch and call it done.

Rick93coupe
03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
The JBA dominator looked good back in the day. It would take some pretty serious wheels and tires to fill those new wells.

St33da
03-27-2010, 03:19 PM
The JBA dominator looked good back in the day. It would take some pretty serious wheels and tires to fill those new wells.

I agree. I remember when Kenny Brown had a yellow and blue one in his showroom here in Indy.... those rims had to be at least 15" wide.

busamboy
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree. I remember when Kenny Brown had a yellow and blue one in his showroom here in Indy.... those rims had to be at least 15" wide.

Yeah, that is most probably going to be the most difficult part. I just hope I don't get too many flats cause I'm sure the tires are expensive as hell too.:rolleyes:

Stangman
03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Good god... thats awful...

I mean... if it was still 1987 that would look cool but... noooooo

No offense, but unless you got a lot of money saved up for this project... I see this thing going on cragslist with a chopped off roof, bad fiberglass work, and a set of 10-holes tucked waaaaayyy underneath those fenders, lol

BUT, hey, maybe it could be the next cavalcade car... I think if you looked hard enough you'd find some GIANT wheels to fit underneath there... Like a true 3-piece similar to a ferarri or something...

I'll admit I kinda like those wide fenders, a little

busamboy
03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Good god... thats awful...

I mean... if it was still 1987 that would look cool but... noooooo

No offense, but unless you got a lot of money saved up for this project... I see this thing going on cragslist with a chopped off roof, bad fiberglass work, and a set of 10-holes tucked waaaaayyy underneath those fenders, lol

BUT, hey, maybe it could be the next cavalcade car... I think if you looked hard enough you'd find some GIANT wheels to fit underneath there... Like a true 3-piece similar to a ferarri or something...

I'll admit I kinda like those wide fenders, a little

I'm hoping it won't cost over 20,000 with a custom paint job. I just got to get the right person to do the body work.

2007ShelbyCobra
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I dont think it looks that bad,, I say go for it. Im not a fan of the wing, but the wide fenders and the rest of the kit dont look too bad. If everyone else hates it, screw em', its not their car so it doesnt matter. But PLEASE, have it all nice and painted and fitting well, you wouldnt want it to look ricey or half assed. POST PICS ONCE ITS DONE!!!

busamboy
03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I dont think it looks that bad,, I say go for it. Im not a fan of the wing, but the wide fenders and the rest of the kit dont look too bad. If everyone else hates it, screw em', its not their car so it doesnt matter. But PLEASE, have it all nice and painted and fitting well, you wouldnt want it to look ricey or half assed. POST PICS ONCE ITS DONE!!!

I will definitely post pictures as it is going down.