PDA

View Full Version : Oil in overflow tank 2.3L MZR engine

ADaughen
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Had all those issues last year with my engine. Ended up needlessly, getting 99% of it replaced before I found a competent mechanic. :( Thankfully Dayton Performance was able to put it all back together. I have to give them a call on Monday and see if they can find the time to look at my car again.

I went to change the oil today and noticed it was low. ~2qts low in 5000 miles, and the overflow was black. I stuck my finger in the overflow and it felt and smelled of oil.

It doesn't appear there is any coolant in the oil pan. Car has been running fine.

I had a used short block block, head, and new intake cam replaced last year.

Everything I have found online says it is either a bad intake manifold gasket or bad head gasket.

Any ideas?

NXcoupe
04-11-2010, 03:12 AM
wow, that sucks! Does that thing have an oil cooler on it that uses coolant? If not it sounds like it's getting pressurized oil into the coolant passageways somewhere. That would mean head gasket, do they make a heavy duty gasket? Call Matt, he'll hook you up.

ADaughen
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Engine has a high pressure oiling system. No oil cooler.

I am pretty sure there is someone that makes a heavier duty gasket.

ADaughen
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Matt and Dayton Performance do it again!

Car is back on the road. I am glad it wasn't the head gasket.

I am already talking the wife into getting cash to Frankenstein a Ford 8.8, Matt was trying to sell me on last year. :D

Mike, please tell Matt big kudos for me. I appreciate all his hard work.

-Adam