PDA

View Full Version : Real Life Hurt Locker at my job this AM...

Katmandu
04-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I work at the Dayton VA.

A Veteran took his own life this AM right in front of the Medical Center around 6AM this morning.

The Dayton PD Bomb squad was called out to remove and blow up his back pack.

We all watched the bomb squad's robot (just like the one in Hurt Locker) move the back pack to in front of a large front loader's shovel. They then blew it up right there.

Really sad situation....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/va-suicide-victim-identified-656012.html

NXcoupe
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Very sorry to hear that.

Katmandu
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Just so happens,the spot where the assault rifle is sitting is the exact area where I sit on my breaks. I'll be finding another spot for my breaks from now on.

http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com/multimedia/dynamic/00670/041710vacentershoot_670811g.jpg

Katmandu
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM
The guy obviously chose that spot to send his message to everyone.

He was seen in the ER not long before that but got tired of waiting and left.

Apparently, he walked out to his van (other side of the building), got his gun and backpack and walked to right in front of Pvt.Fair (the large Civil War statue).

Very symbolic.

He truly hope our Government finds more resources now to take better care of our Veterans.

The back log now is totally unacceptable. We are grossly understaffed to deal with the large influx of new Veterans.

DeckerEnt
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
News article says the rifle was put on the steps in front of the statue after the guy shot himself. Who did that and why? Shame. We need to take care of our own!
Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Mista Bone
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
An old stangbanger who is in the Army now plans on working at VA once he gets out.

He's at Walter Reed in DC right now for schooling.

Hoping the crap in the sandbox ends before Private Ryan gets done.

k062693w
04-16-2010, 03:57 PM
That was Steve Stang1987 on here's cousin ... Please keep him and his Family in your thoughts ...

Katmandu
04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
News article says the rifle was put on the steps in front of the statue after the guy shot himself. Who did that and why? Shame. Knuckleheaded VA cop. :rolleyes:

We need to take care of our own! Yes absolutely.

According to reports, he was in and out of the VA inpatient unit. He was receiving treatment.

Treating folks with PTSD is extremely difficult.

Who knows what was going on in his mind during this time. One thing is for sure. He had his mind made up already on what he wanted to do. Who knows if anyone could have prevented him from doing so. Only God knows now.

It could have been a whole lot worse had he decided to take others with him!

You don't see it in the picture but he chose purposely to stand right in front of the flag for his final deed. This says a lot.

I believe his message was for people to recognize Veteran's who are in Crisis. Hopefully, people will heed his message and contact their Representatives.

I know the Government has recently spent a lot of $$$ to help reduce the time it takes to get Vets into the VA.

The problem now is getting the resources to sustain timely patient care.

We are currently VERY understaffed at the VA. :confused:

Katmandu
04-18-2010, 09:55 PM
An old stangbanger who is in the Army now plans on working at VA once he gets out.

He's at Walter Reed in DC right now for schooling.

In what capacity ?

The VA has been on a hiring freeze for over a year now.

draggin50
04-18-2010, 10:37 PM
That was Steve Stang1987 on here's cousin ... Please keep him and his Family in your thoughts ...

Sorry about your families loss Steve. Thoughts go out to you and your family.

sean
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Very sad to hear.

beefcake
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
man, sorry to hear that brother

Mista Bone
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
In what capacity ?

The VA has been on a hiring freeze for over a year now.

He is still in the Army, but the plan is when he gets out to apply at VA or go into some form of nursing elsewhere.

He said in a text he graduates in about 15 weeks, he's been in the Army about 1.5 years of I think 4 years???

Steves LX
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
That's a shame that a young man had to end his life like that. I am a vet myself and have a knee and hearing issue that is service connected. I have no problems most of the time getting into audiology but ortho on the other hand is an absolute nightmare. I go to the Cincinnati VA and that place is a zoo. It's unfortunate that to many people down there have abused the system and otheres now suffer because of it. I cant help but wonder if he had went to the ER to perhaps get treated for his pain and they did the norm and prescribed him Motrin(codeM). The gov. way of treating everything it seems. I know my first knee operation down at the cinti VA that's what they sent me home with was Motrin and tylenol 3. I was good until all the anestesia wore off and I then layed there in tears and couldn't take it no more. My wife drove me an hour and 15 minutes back to the VA and we sat for another hour to see a doctor so I could get something stronger. I have since had 2 more knee operations and everything has been good. But it's dumb stuff like that and all the other crap that goes on down there that makes some of these vets the way they are.

Mustard
04-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Jesse Huff was my cousin. He was a great guy and the fact of the matter is he went to the VA for help where they did nothing for him. He had issues with severe pain from his injuries. He also suffered from depresion. If the VA had taken the time to try and help him he would still be here. Thanks for the kind words.

Steves LX
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Jesse Huff was my cousin. He was a great guy and the fact of the matter is he went to the VA for help where they did nothing for him. He had issues with severe pain from his injuries. He also suffered from depresion. If the VA had taken the time to try and help him he would still be here. Thanks for the kind words.

I am sorry to hear about this. That was my point with what I had said. It seems like everytime I am down there I hear stories from vets about the same stuff all the time.

87stangbbb
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
sorry to hear that buddy

redfirepearlgt
04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I am sorry to hear about this. That was my point with what I had said. It seems like everytime I am down there I hear stories from vets about the same stuff all the time.

It is never good news when a fellow veteran falls, especially one who is looking for help after he has served his country. I have been very blessed that I served 8 years full active service with minimal health issues incurred. I pray that your cousin's life is a wake up call to our government to get their priorities straight and quit kissing the tail of $197,000.00 salaried Congressman and start puckering up to the enlisted men and women of this country who have truly (unlike jerks like Senator Barbara Boxer), earned their titles and the respect they so often are neglected of by the citizens and govt. officials of this country.

Katmandu
04-20-2010, 11:17 AM
He is still in the Army, but the plan is when he gets out to apply at VA or go into some form of nursing elsewhere.

He said in a text he graduates in about 15 weeks, he's been in the Army about 1.5 years of I think 4 years???Cool. :bigthumb

If he's into Military nursing, my advice to him would be to transfer to the USAF and make it a career and then get into the VA.

Katmandu
04-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Jesse Huff was my cousin. He was a great guy I'm sorry for your loss Steve.

and the fact of the matter is he went to the VA for help where they did nothing for him.

He had issues with severe pain from his injuries. He also suffered from depresion. If the VA had taken the time to try and help him he would still be here. Thanks for the kind words.Steve, you may want to be aware that his own brother (your other Cousin) Publiclly states otherwise.

He said it himself the VA did not let him down. It's on the front page of the Dayton Daily News this morning.

Veteran's brother: Suicide not VA’s fault
Charles Huff was ‘impressed’ with how the hospital handled the Iraq veteran’s visit to the ER.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/veterans-brother-suicide-not-vas-fault-661977.html

And another story on DDN...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/brother-not-discussing-details-of-suicide-much-662064.html

Katmandu
04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Local Veteran's Brother Defends VA Hospital
Posted: 10:08 am EDT April 20, 2010
Updated: 10:19 am EDT April 20, 2010

DAYTON, Ohio -- A brother of the Iraq veteran who killed himself outside the Dayton VA Medical Center last week, said the emergency room staff provided correct treatment hours before his brother committed suicide.

Charles Huff is a VA nurse and Army Reserve staff sergeant. He says he and his father met with Dayton VA officials to review Jesse Huff's medical records.

He said he is impressed with the way his 27-year-old younger brother's emergency room visit was handled at about 1 a.m. Friday, but he declined to disclose details.

Jesse Huff returned at about 5:45 a.m. and shot himself outside the center's main entrance.

Charles Huff said his brother had a back injury from a bomb blast in Iraq and had been treated for post-traumatic stress disorder.BTW, I personally know and have worked with the 3rd Shift ER Nurses here at the VA. I worked 3rd Shift with them for (6) years.

They are some of the best RNs I have worked with in my 27 years as a Medical Technologist. The RNs and most (NOT ALL) of us other folks here at the VA give a shit about the Veterans and the quality of work we do here!

I'm a Vet myself and have received treatment here as a patient. I've been very please (except for some waiting to get an appointment) with the care I have received.

Know one knows but God what is going thru a person's mind before they complete suicide.

Very sad and tragic loss for all.