PDA

View Full Version : Ben Awfulsberger Suspended!

05yellowgt
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817aaafc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Looks like the first 6 games of the Steelers season is going to be an up hill battle. Discuss.

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
too bad it couldnt have been longer but hopefully he'll have some rust still for our monday night game.......

cstreu1026
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Now he'll have more time for all the ladies.

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I just read this on ESPN

The Steelers have begun contacting teams to see if they would be willing to trade a top 10 pick for Roethlisberger, an NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

05yellowgt
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
WOW!!!

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 02:49 PM
here's the link just incase you wanna read it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

5.0calypso93lx
04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm finding it really hard to believe he didn't do any wrong-doing with that girl at this point. Why would his own team and the commisioner penalize him if he didn't commit the crime? He probably paid somebody off and got out of it and the Steelers and Goodell found out about it...

05yellowgt
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm finding it really hard to believe he didn't do any wrong-doing with that girl at this point. Why would his own team and the commisioner penalize him if he didn't commit the crime? He probably paid somebody off and got out of it and the Steelers and Goodell found out about it...
That may or may not be the case, but I think this is more of a response to keep the public perception of the Steelers as a franchise from going down the tubes. Think about all of the off the field bad press that the Steelers have had as of late. Even if there is zero truth to the allegations, that is not the kind of coverage that puts fans in the seats. The Steelers are trying to make a bold statement that they do not want to be viewed as a franchise that wants to employ players that allow themselves to get into the sort of situation that permits allegations like this to occur in the first place whether they are true or not. It's the same reason that the Steelers already traded off Holmes.

GREAZY
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Rapesomfurburger is guilty as hell , lucky for him not enough evidence to bring up charges. I am glad to see the NFL has the balls to take a stance. If they didnt punish him , we would see another offense at some point, hopefuly this wakes him up. Hell, maybe someday he will thank the NFL for saving his ass.

mustangboy
04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm too lazy to read the article right now so is regular season games or does it include preseason as well.

Pitbull1052
04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
if he goes to theropy and clears the dr's and the commish he can participate in preseason

1badasp
04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
just regular season

djom1cincy
04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
[/I]
Rapesomfurburger is guilty as hell , lucky for him not enough evidence to bring up charges. I am glad to see the NFL has the balls to take a stance. If they didnt punish him , we would see another offense at some point, hopefuly this wakes him up. Hell, maybe someday he will thank the NFL for saving his ass.

Ha ha ha. This should have been started in the whipping room. See it there later.

04 Venom
04-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I'd say this shows class by the Steelers.

DSSKing68
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM
That may or may not be the case, but I think this is more of a response to keep the public perception of the Steelers as a franchise from going down the tubes. Think about all of the off the field bad press that the Steelers have had as of late. Even if there is zero truth to the allegations, that is not the kind of coverage that puts fans in the seats. The Steelers are trying to make a bold statement that they do not want to be viewed as a franchise that wants to employ players that allow themselves to get into the sort of situation that permits allegations like this to occur in the first place whether they are true or not. It's the same reason that the Steelers already traded off Holmes.

I agree totally. Two of the fan groups I am in are asking for anyone who owns a rapelessburger shirt to mail in it to the Rooney's. I made my son remove his Big Ben fathead from his wall...(replaced with a Hines Ward!). Innocent or guilty, as Goodell said, his actions that evening were less than respectable. Not the type of actions expected from any NFL player, no matter who he is.

The Steelers have proven before, nobody is bigger than the team. A poll running in the Pittsburgh Post gazette shows 60% of fans want him traded or cut. If he does stay in the 'burgh, he has a long uphill battle with the fans, media, and the Steeler Nation.

I say trade him...I'd rather not have the black eye on the team.

The Chairman deserves better...RIP.

ADaughen
04-21-2010, 07:30 PM

His "bodyguards" for the evening were local, off duty cops.

The cop the girl reported the rape to was seen having pictures with Ben prior to taking the report and has now left the PD.

He is still being sued for an alleged rape in Las Vegas in '08

There has been quite a bit of "questionable actions" on his part.

Katmandu
04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm finding it really hard to believe he didn't do any wrong-doing with that girl at this point. Why would his own team and the commisioner penalize him if he didn't commit the crime? Come on already.... :rolleyes:

What is so difficult to understand about MORAL CONDUCT ? It amazes the hell-out-of-me that people can NOT understand this concept. :rolleyes:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817aaafc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you," Goodell said Wednesday in a letter to Roethlisberger.

"My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor.

That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

Ben is a friggin MORON and will not be in Pittsburgh to much longer. :rolleyes:

Katmandu
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Bottom line is Ben has a Narcissitic Personality Disorder.

Everything is about HIM. :rolleyes:

Ever wonder he REFUSES to throw the ball away and ends up taking all of those sacks ??? It's all about him trying to be the Hero.

Narcissist are not rehabable.

That said, I don't even think the Raiders would trade for him.

It's going to be very interesting how this plays out in tonight's draft.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Some guys at work this morning said he's getting traded to San Fransisco. Anyone hear any proof of that?

DSSKing68
04-23-2010, 06:25 AM
No trades. He will be in Pittsburgh, they didn't get any reasonable offers. He can particiapte in the preseason, just not regular season games. He'll be back for the Bungle monday night game....watchout Cincy college gals! Hide your daughters!! :D

GREAZY
04-23-2010, 08:33 AM
taking all of those sacks .

T-Bag ?:lol:

5.0calypso93lx
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Come on already.... :rolleyes:

What is so difficult to understand about MORAL CONDUCT ? It amazes the hell-out-of-me that people can NOT understand this concept. :rolleyes:

Ben is a friggin MORON and will not be in Pittsburgh to much longer. :rolleyes:

Congrats, that proves absolutely nothing.

The fact is, you and I weren't there and you don't know him personally, like you're making it sound :lol:

We'll probably never know what actually happened...

I don't put any value in this suspension. So Ben gets 6 games for an alleged crime, where Vick gets 2 games after actually being convicted and going to jail for a year?? How does that work????

Kwik92GT
04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't put any value in this suspension. So Ben gets 6 games for an alleged crime, where Vick gets 2 games after actually being convicted and going to jail for a year?? How does that work????

Vick served his time, and then some, for fighting dogs and cruelties toward them. He got what he deserved. This is the 2nd time Ben has been accused of raping or sexually assaulting a woman, you know, a human. BIG difference IMO. Not to mention, I'm willing to bet that Goodell has way more info about these cases than all of us combined. At least the league has done something, obviously the Steelers weren't going to.

04 Venom
04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
At least the league has done something, obviously the Steelers weren't going to.

Disagree. They got rid of Santonio Holmes and shoppoed Rothlisberger for a trade/draft pick even before the suspension was announced. They also said that they would punish him before Godell said anything. What more do you want?

Kwik92GT
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Disagree. They got rid of Santonio Holmes and shoppoed Rothlisberger for a trade/draft pick even before the suspension was announced. They also said that they would punish him before Godell said anything. What more do you want?

OK, so what did the Steelers do again in the form of discipline for Ben? NOTHING. Goodell took a bit of time to come to his decision, they had plenty of opportunity to take the bull by the horns in a way that the league would approve. They did nothing. They "shopped him around" a bit. Wow, I'm sure he learned from that lesson. :rolleyes:

Big difference between being proactive and reactive. You can't state time and again about how you operate a team by honor and integrity and then do nothing. A large percentage of their fan base are women, they could have shown that this pattern of behavior would not be allowed without dire consequences. Not saying they may never do anything, they may still yet, I just think they have dragged their feet a bit and the team's reputation is taking a big hit for it. They shouldn't have waited on the league.

02mingryGT
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Anything done by the Steelers would have been fought by the union. They let the league suspend him because it would more likely stick.