PDA

View Full Version : damn windstar

myownr
04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
My 99 windstar is about to meet Mr D9 Caterpillar. Back in February this thing had engine issues, replced that with a jy donor. It has never been right since as the jy has a bad vibration and will soon need another replacement. week after that replaced the wheel bearing, soon after that a starter, after that a battery that was only 2 years old. Now this weekend the battery light starts to come on. Had the alternator tested at autozone and it came up as low amperage. Replaced the alternator friday night thinking issued solved. Saturday battery dead (0.97) v. Charged the battery, went to start after about 15 min off starter and dead again (9.8 v) WTF. Battery was loosing voltage at a rate to about 0.1 v per 10 seconds. Had autozone replace the battery again. Still driving Sunday when the damn light comes on at intermittent times, off and on. Today wife picking up kids at school and it comes on again. Any advice as to how to find WTF is wrong with this POS. Tested the voltage this morning and it was 12.15v and tonight it sets at 12.5 volts

87stangbbb
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
D9 ITS ASS

Ranger50
04-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Ground problem. Either missing or broke.

myownr
04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
this morning dead @ 0.9 volts:mad:
also forgot to mention I replaced starter sunday just to make sure is was not issue, and I did bolt the ground and bracket back on. If a ground was the issue I could see that it would not charge correctly, however to have a draw that sucks all the juice overnight is something else I beleive

02mingryGT
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Ground problem. Either missing or broke.

+2 Check the ground off the starter. My brother's ran fine until he touched it....lol....Anyway he cluster fucked up the ground wire connection. I'd check that first.

93lincolnmk8
04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds like it has a parasitic drain. Put the DVOM on the battery and start pulling fuses and watch for the voltage to stop dropping. This will at least help you find the circuit that causing the draw.

03z06vette
04-27-2010, 01:21 PM
check the grounds on the driverside core support. there should be 2

84stang
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a short somewhere eating the battery.

bascom123
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
D9 ITS ASS

:agree:

I'm with him, heck ill pitch in 10 bucks worth of GAS for the D9 just to see it crush it..

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

myownr
04-28-2010, 04:35 PM
for $10 of gas i might trade ya lol. Last night I disconnected the battery and reconnected it this moring to assure a charged battery. When she took it up the road the abs light came on, battery light, tach went crazy along with speedo, and the turn signal wouldn't turn off. I'm starting to think computer

myownr
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
took it over to airport ford against my better judgement. They told me alt was bad because it was sometimes putting out 15.2 volts vs 15.0 spec. they wanted me to replace. I told them this wasn't causing drain that was my concern. They spend all that time to tell me this when I told them it had a drain. Finally today they call to say it has a 4 amp draw and will be $200 to look for it, hello this is what I freakin told you already. Damn does no good to explain to someone how far you have gone and you want them to expand on that instead of starting from scratch looking for issues that I have already eliminated