PDA

View Full Version : bus painting

inferno50
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
so i decided to take on a side job of painting two church buses and i do mean full size school buses, two tone. it all was good untill now im halfway through them and already burned out. the place i used to work for painted alot of big trucks and equipment but these buses are like painting a damn building. my compensation is a lowered 70 chevy c 10 with a big block in it, muncie 4 speed, disk brakes and alot more, but still not sure if it is a good trade. i think im just spoiled now at the place i work at , all we do is collision repair and dont even paint whole cars. its a little tough to go from painting the front end of a civic to two buses. but im finished being a whiner on here, thanks for reading.

87stangbbb
04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
i'd like to see pics of the truck thats my favorite body style.im sure it will be worth it in the end

Galaxie
04-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I worked at the bus factory in Richmond when it was Wayne Works for two years before they closed down . They sprayed from the top down on a body truck that had the bottom of the window jam at shoulder height to most folks . The good part was there was no window glass in at the time and they had a pattern to plug the window holes so they had it easy . I can not imagine taping up all that glass .

cstreu1026
04-29-2010, 09:35 AM
i'd like to see pics of the truck thats my favorite body style.im sure it will be worth it in the end

Me too. There is a green and white one in the parking lot here at work that I noticed this morning. Its a pretty cool little truck.

Pitbull1052
04-29-2010, 09:43 AM
for sure post up some pics

sean
04-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Hell post up some pics of the job in progress

Stangman
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
A '70 C-10 with a big block, 4 speed, and disc brakes?!?!? that is awesome!!!

long bed or short? and is it atleast slammed with some sweet wheels on it?

facemelter71
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Buddy of mine across the street has a 70 C-10 with a BBC 427 High comp pistons.Thing is rediculous.As KB1 put it "you could let squirrels run through the heads".

inferno50
04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
it is dropped but not on sweet wheels. it has the moon smoothie caps on it, i hate em. i did drive it the other night and hauls some serious ass for a truck. the worst part is it needs some body work and painted so i am doing paint work just to get somthing that i have to paint. the never ending circle.

INSANEBA
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Still a bitchin truck, I have a 67 stepside sitting on 87 front suspension lowered, and 4 link in the rear. Maybe one of these days I'll get it out and do something with it lmao...

Big J Botang
04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey hoe bag, I new that EFI 454 w/ 230hp would take a toll on you :O) :lol:

inferno50
05-02-2010, 01:19 PM
try 400 plus dipshit. anyway its going to smoke that 306 of yours, next year when you get it running.

inferno50
05-02-2010, 01:23 PM
just a little update, the paint on the roof reacted with the paint under it, i now get to sand down the entire roof to fix it. this sucks......fml.

plated
05-02-2010, 02:30 PM
just a little update, the paint on the roof reacted with the paint under it, i now get to sand down the entire roof to fix it. this sucks......fml.

fuckin enamel sucks ass!!you got it on to wet and it ate in i feel for ya bro the whole roof:eek:

Dirtyd0g
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Screw that, I would cover the roof of that thing with white vinyl for the heat reflection.
That is what I see them doing to all the busses lately, black hoods and white tops.
Alan

inferno50
05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
fuckin enamel sucks ass!!you got it on to wet and it ate in i feel for ya bro the whole roof:eek:

no the church is just cheap and wanted me to use up the paint they had first. so i put delthane acrylic enamel on first coat then used the new alklyd enamel second. the paint store said it would be fine but i guess not. shit happends ill fix it.

Big J Botang
05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
no the church is just cheap and wanted me to use up the paint they had first. so i put delthane acrylic enamel on first coat then used the new alklyd enamel second. the paint store said it would be fine but i guess not. shit happends ill fix it.

Im thinkin you should let Cory paint it.

Timido
05-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Thats why we scuff em and paint's em single stage white. Runs and fish eye look the same going down the road. The bus drivers are going to wreck em again anyway

2Kblacksleeper
05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Thats why we scuff em and paint's em single stage white. Runs and fish eye look the same going down the road. The bus drivers are going to wreck em again anyway

Thats funny. You sould like my buddys dad that works for western hill school disc bus service.

He told me me that he will tell the bus drivers that want to help cove up the graffiti on the seat back that all they do is paint it.

He will hand them the spray can, the driver askes how do i know when its ready? He replies, you shake it till you cant hear the ball shaking anymore.....
After 20 min of shaking they realize it. Most of the time.
Thats some funny shit.

John

inferno50
05-08-2010, 10:54 PM
so after me busting my ass for a week sanding on these things the guy at the church told me he wasnt happy with my progress. sorry he didnt want it sanded but i will not put my name on anything that has the possibility of paint sheeting off of it. he wanted me to just tape it up and shoot it. not even an option in my book. so then he starts telling me he has four other painters who will paint them and nine other people who want to buy his truck all the suden. after being talked to like i was five for about two days i decided to tell him to just call one of his other painters and keep his damn truck. i hate how people use religion to act like they are better than you or that they are always right. so for now no truck but it is not worth a bad rep for a terrible paint job peeling off. i try to do a good job on everything i work on, this is why people all have different jobs. you dont see me telling a doctor how to perform surgery on people so leave the painting advice to the painters. i have painted everything from hundereds to maybe thousands of daily drivers to high end cars to custom bikes and even alot and i do mean alot of heavy equipment and semi's and it just bothers me how someone from a church treats me like he knows how to paint these buses and i have no idea. shawn mugavin that i work with told me the best advice ever about five years ago. he said you can do great work your whole life but if you butch up just one thing it can ruin your rep for paint work forever. and i can really see that being true.

draggin50
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Damn man that sucks. Your probably better off. I`ve seen alot of religous people who are the biggest hypocrites in the world.

cagedhatch
05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Damn man that sucks. Your probably better off. I`ve seen alot of religous people who are the biggest hypocrites in the world.
damn dude didnt you know the church's are full of sinners? lol

NO SHOT
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
damn dude didnt you know the church's are full of sinners? lol

I would love to see more sinners come to church..
Could the busses have been cleaned up and hit with a scuff pad?What I call a "work truck"paint job?Maybe that would have been a more timely way to get them shot.They must have know going in that they werent getting a custom job right..

inferno50
05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
they didnt want to take any decals off. or reflective tape. nor scuff no sand. just tape and paint. both done two tone in a week. just couldnt do it. people always say things are ok if they dont turn out perfect untill they dont then they bitch.