PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam and Motorkote

cobrajoe
04-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Anyone seafoamed a 05+ yet? How did you do it?

Bean hearing some amazing stories about this stuff. Anyone using it?

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I've ran it through pretty much every vehicle i've owned, both through the gas and through a vacuum line. I wouldn't call it a miracle but they do seem to run good after using it.

93LXhatch
04-30-2010, 05:33 PM
agreed........ive used it on ALOT of cars all diff makes and models and have never had any problems afterwords just better mpg,throttle response,and more power. so it def. works good for what it is and how much it cost

Mustard
04-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I have heard of Motorkote from truck drivers. They swear by the stuff. Os it any good? What is seafoam?

Mista Bone
04-30-2010, 10:16 PM
If you've taken car of your car, no need to Seafoam it.

If you have a car that wasn't taken car of, don't Seafoam it. Nothing like taking a good running car that burns a quart every 2000 miles, doing the Seafoam, then 100 miles later pulling the heads off because pieces of carbon are stuck to the exhaust valves not letting them fully seat.

I've also seen 4-5 Hondas hydrolocked on Seafoam, idiots stuck the line from the brake booster into a full can while the car was running, suck the can dry in seconds.

If you wanna do anything, use some fuel/injector cleaner. I'm partial to Gumout Regane.

Anyone remember the old Coke bottle tune up???? You can do the same just like you would with Seafoam.

cobrajoe
05-01-2010, 05:39 AM
I heard the seafoam was good for cleaning up the cmcv assy. Just was wondering.

BigBadStang
05-01-2010, 01:44 PM
These 2 products really aren't fully comparable.
Motorkote does what they say it does. It doesn't blend with the oil, it simply uses it as a carrier. It bonds into the metal surfaces. You add it IN ADDITION to your normal oil capacity (usually 1 ounce per quart) in a few weeks the level goes back to normal as the stuff bonds to the metal. That being said, I have never personally tried their fuel optimizer, but the aerosol spray is INCREDIBLE.

Seafoam seems to be targeted mostly for 'ingestion' into the engine, although it also states you can add it to the oil. I use Seafoam in my 2 stroke outboard on the boat religiously, and it keeps the entire intake system and carbs clean as a whistle, and helps fight the effects of the Ethanol on the fuel system. The Seafoam aerosol spray does a great job as well.

satan jamez
05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Where can I get Motorkote around here? I used that stuff when I could find it back when I lived in Toledo. It's the best engine additive I've ever seen.

cobrajoe
05-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Where can I get Motorkote around here? I used that stuff when I could find it back when I lived in Toledo. It's the best engine additive I've ever seen.

Here.....

Motorkote locations (https://www.motorkote.com/RetailStores.html)

Goldenpony
05-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Seafoam, maybe. I've read nothing but good things about it. Myself, I use Techron in the tank every 5K miles.

Motorkote, I would guess it's snakeoil ala, Slik 50. I have a real problem with products that advertise they "bond" with the metal. I read once a statment from Dupont (invented teflon) that said Slik 50 was snakeoil and teflon would not bond to metal surfaces when used in motor oil. Myself, I use a top shelf, full synthetic oil (AMSOIL) and that's all I need. Just my $.02 worth. :cool2:

antman50_us
05-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Suppose to be able to get motorkote at Meijer Square.

BlazinEagle
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe I know nothing, but what does this stuff do? How do you use it?

Mista Bone
05-02-2010, 03:31 AM
from my reading tonight, if it DOES work it would still be cheaper to just change your oil more often or use a GOOD synthetic Like AMSOIL or Pennzoil Platinum.

PTFE has not been used in any motor oil additives for quite some time after the Slick 50 debacle.

In my low powered beaters and wannabe racecar, I'll stick to what I've been doing for the past 15 years.

I prefer Mobil 5000 oil and STP/Purolater oil filters.

The "fun" car gets oil change every 3000 miles
The backup DD get oil changed every 5000 miles
The main DD gets oil changed every 7500 miles, which is about 8-9 weeks.

Auto tranny fluid gets drain and filled (3 quarts) every 15k miles (severe duty) instead of the normal 30k Honda suggests.

Of the four Honda's I own now, 1.2 million miles, think about keeping up on the upkeep!

duststang
05-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Alway use on everything and it does a great job especially straight in the intake.

98stangv6
05-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I use Lucas oil stabilizer, seems to be good stuff. I would like to compare it to Motorkote.